Hi Gem, I think most people avoid people at the door. I do and having once read a thread on the very topic, I know that many people only do if they're expecting anyone. In fact I'd say it's more normal than not.

I can understand you being put off seeking help. I cut short my last CBT sessions because I disliked the way things were going for a variety of reasons (such as them not turning up).

I don't think there's anything wrong with finding coping strategies (especially if it avoids the door to door salesmen). Our house is often a tip and I wouldn't let anyone near it if they called.

The fact is you are doing something (like when you went out the other day) and all these changes, are really significant. You are taking positive steps - you don't need to do it all at once - there's no law that says you have to answer the door and when you feel ready, you can chose to see someone.

Finally, don't feel stupid, because you're not. The thing you're going through is what happens when we're not feeling right - it's how our brains our wired, which is how we can all relate to each other on here. The positive thing about this, although my anxiety isn't nice, it's led me to do things like go on this website and speak to nice people like you. Something I wouldn't have done if I didn't suffer from anxiety issues.