Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: missed heartbeats

Hi there Loll and all

I too have these and have had them for about 30 years, I was very anxious about them when I first got them, but when I was told what they are I lost my fear of them (Good job 'cause I have so many other symptoms that freak me out, lol). They are called extrasystoles and anyone can get them even healthy people, of all ages. I usually get up and walk around and burp (lol), I think that it might have something to do with wind around the heart like indigestion, please take it from me they are not harmful, if they were I wouldn;t be here now after all this time, but I know they are upsetting especially when you get them one after the other, it feels worse than it is. I hope this helps you.

Take care

Elspeth

Hi Loll,

i also suffer from missed heartbeats and thumps in my chest , only a few times a week though. I have only suffered this for about 4 months and its horrible when it happens scares me badly and sometimes leeds to a full blown panic attack. Been on a beta blocker called atenolol for about the same amount of time for something other than missed heartbeats, maybe thats why i only get a few a week, i thought it was tablets at first giving me these thumps but a cardiology doctor told me it was not.

Anyway all the best for the New Year , hope it brings an end to your long suffering.

Richard xx

Hi Loll,

I also get these skipped beats a lot, pretty much every day :(

They are very annoying and can be very scary, I do sympathise with you and hope you can try to ignore tham as much as possible.

I also get them whilst exercising, or carrying things, which scares me even more!!!

Keep Smiling

Stu

I'm interested in what people do when they get their ectopics. And of the people who have spoken to their GP's, what was the outcome.

I hope this doesn't sound too nosy, only, sometimes I feel like I've done everything that I know that I can do and I still get them! Also, my healthcare people are just not interested. My Cardio-consultant just shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't have any answers apart from that they were benign and no suggestions as to how to treat them. I came away feeling like I was a total idiot.
    At least my new GP is trying something else. Day 6 on citalopram and apart from the light headedness they seem to be working a bit.

Toto

hey there
    I used to get this sort of thing ,missed beats (palpitations)i think.
    This happened maybe only 2-3 times a week when i was having alot of anxiety (6 years or more). Been seeing and hypnotheopist recently , my anixety has cleard up mostly now also no more dodgy ticker and sleep paralysis.
    hope in some way this helps

Hi Loll ,

I get these regularly, had them for a while , never seen anyone about it but i guess if it was seriuos after this length of time i would't be here, these do seem to be a common symptom of anxiety. Hope you feel better soon.

Take care xx

hi dont worry hun, it sounds just like what i have had for years, i am 33yrs old, when i was 28 i went for an ecg because i kept complaining to the doctor something was not right, my ecg results showed something on them so i went for tests, i had a chest xray, heart scan, 24hr tape, an ecg again, my results said i had ectopic heart beats, they said dont worry, so when i started with anxiety when i was 30 i went private to see a cardiologist because i thought with my heart going fast it was doing something to my heart, anyway he said it was normal, my feelings when i get my ectopics are like my heart stops and then bangs against my chest, or its like your heart doing a somersalt,and then in november i went to see my new doctor and i explained i was getting these ectopics regular for the past few days he said nothing to worry about, i have seen a cardiologist and he put it down to anxiety, but it was getting worse so i went to see a cardiologist private, he said when he done the ecg it only showed sinus rhythum, and everything was fine basically you have to live with ectopics, but it still doesnt reasure me, i still think i have got a bad heart x i must be mad because i have been tested and i am fine, hope you are ok x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information