Thread: Setbacks

Setbacks

last week I had been panic attack free for 3 whole weeks. It was so wonderful, in fact I was so happy for those 3 weeks, thinking positive etc and really felt my life had changed for the better. I told my therapist and she was thrilled.

Then suddenly, Monday on a break with friends I took a mini panic attack. I got through it without anyone knowing but then boom, it set me off into a panic full week. Suddenly I went into panic anytime I had to go out by myself, drive etc. so I had to get my husband or mother to go with me everywhere. Even today in the grocery store if my husband went into another aisle I went into panic until he was in view again. Then in the check out I panicked so badly I thought I would black out. That of course is my big fear, that I will pass out and hurt myself.

So as you can tell, I am very surprised by the setback and dissapointed...why can't I get out of the panic type state I am in?

Maya

Re: Setbacks

Hiya Maya, first of all hon I understand your dissapointment , you've had the experience of being panic attack free for 3 weeks, when we get that stage its an accomplishment because we feel so normal, nothing can scare us and we feel safe and confident, and go about our business without relying on others, dont beat yourself up hon, sometimes we take 2 steps forward and one step back, you have done so well and you must have been really confident in yourself, try to remember those feelings of how you were and even though its hard, try not to concentrate too much on the setback, the thing to remember is that once in a while you may still have panic and when it happens you have those negative feelings of feeling insecure all over again, but I feel the key here is to concetrate on your success rather than the dissapointment.
    Having a setback doesnt mean your back to square one all over again, although it may feel like this. Continue to stay on track , you've done it before and you can do it again.
    Accepting that these things will happen and just letting those fears go without putting too much power in the negative thoughts will push you forward again!!!!
    So chin up!!!! its all good, just a small blip, your doing very very well, and if you doubt yourself, LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE, to prove yourself wrong by looking at what you have already achieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. its far too easy to slip back into the pattern of negative thinking, make your positive actions and success more important than the negative.

Love skylight

Thank you for the words of encoragement skylight.

Your very welcome, maya!!! take care of you. love skylight

Maya

We like to call them blips on here as every step forward you make and every day without panic/anxiety is progress forward.

Have a read of these for some reassurance..

I just give up!

Feeling back at square one

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information