Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Calcium - Need Some Info

High Calcium - Need Some Info

Hi Everyone,

Welp, had my blood test done a month ago as part of my annual physical and got the results in the mail today. The doc wrote "Calcium is High" and that I need to follow up in 1-2 weeks to discuss abnormal results and treatment options. They will also be drawing my blood again.

I don't want to go down the avenue of Doctor Google as the first page already scared the crap out of me. Has somebody had this come up before and can you tell me what happened or if it's anything serious to worry about?

Thanks so much.

Re: High Calcium - Need Some Info

My father in law has had high calcium for as long as I've known him, ohh I met him when I was 19 and I am 56 now.

The drs said it comes from the parathyroid gland. They wanted him to get it taken out because high calcium can cause kidney stones.
    He never had it out, he's never had kidney stones and he will be 95 in November.

Wow, what a great long life he's had. Thank you for sharing this, it does put my mind to ease just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    My father in law has had high calcium for as long as I've known him, ohh I met him when I was 19 and I am 56 now.

The drs said it comes from the parathyroid gland. They wanted him to get it taken out because high calcium can cause kidney stones.
    He never had it out, he's never had kidney stones and he will be 95 in November.

Quote Originally Posted by SOBAY310 View Post
    Wow, what a great long life he's had. Thank you for sharing this, it does put my mind to ease just a bit.
    Yes, he really has. The high calcium has never caused him any problems.

It will be interesting to find out what your drs recommend.

A relative of mine had hypercalcemia and it needed to be brought down via a drip. They were advised to drink lots of plain water. When the levels rose again, the same needed to be done again. If your levels are just a small bit above normal then I doubt anything will be done about it. My relative wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until the levels were brought down though so I imagine your levels are only slightly raised.

Thanks, KeeKee. Amazing how prior to taking the blood tests I talk myself down for all the possible illnesses that could be discovered and one I didn't even know existed (high calcium) pops up. I love health anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    A relative of mine had hypercalcemia and it needed to be brought down via a drip. They were advised to drink lots of plain water. When the levels rose again, the same needed to be done again. If your levels are just a small bit above normal then I doubt anything will be done about it. My relative wasn't allowed to leave the hospital until the levels were brought down though so I imagine your levels are only slightly raised.

Quote Originally Posted by SOBAY310 View Post
    Thanks, KeeKee. Amazing how prior to taking the blood tests I talk myself down for all the possible illnesses that could be discovered and one I didn't even know existed (high calcium) pops up. I love health anxiety.
    Health anxiety is a funny thing. The good news is though, even if your hypercalcemia is severe (which it doesn't seem) it's usually caused by a benign tumour which is easily sorted (as per my relative).

Keekee, my father in law also.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Keekee, my father in law also.
    Wow really. I wonder if it's pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    Wow really. I wonder if it's pretty common.
    Not sure, he's the only person I've ever known that has it. He's done so well for so many years I wanted to share that here :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information