Does anyone also experience a panic attack triggered by sounds? Today I was about to have a meal in a restaurant with my family, but it ended poorly...

Upon entry I greeted the staff. They looked me up and down but they didn't respond. I am obese, therefore I assumed that they are judging me for my looks, and that made me very self conscious... It just went downhill from there. The restaurant was crowded, and very loud. Sounds of conversations mixed with sounds of people eating, espresso machines continuosly working, and staff talking. I felt uneasy there but didn't want to ruin a family lunch so I sat down and looked at the menu. 2 minutes later I felt the urge to run away, with my heart racing, my legs weak and a feeling that something horrible is about to happen to me.

I stood up and told everybody I have to leave this place, and I ran out with tears in my eyes. I ran to the parking lot, and cried in the car. My family followed, and we went home where I took xanax and cried some more as the panic continued. I feel pretty bad for this situation, since I live abroad and I see them only twice a year...

I'm not sure if it's the self consciousness, the sounds of the restaurant, or the fact that on our way we passed by a place where I once got verbally assaulted (people passing by helped me, and the assault didn't turn physical).
I passed by this park after the event many times, and never had any fear issues so I am not sure if that had anything to do with the attack, but I did think about this assault before going into the restaurant...

Did anyone also experience a panic attack triggered by sounds? If so, what are your tips to deal with it?

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk