Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sex and anti depressants (sorry but need to knw)

sex and anti depressants (sorry but need to knw)

im going on anti depressants for 9 months
    and ive heard that there is a side effect that it will mean i will be unable to achieve an orgasm..
    i could just about cope with this but i am worried that i will never be able to ever again once i come off them!! has anyone heard of this happening>? im just a natural worrier really..
    i dont want it to affect me for life.. :| even when i come off them
    please help
    if youve tried this and you know about it ? or just if you have any information..im worrying my little socks off here!! ahh!

Re: sex and anti depressants (sorry but need to knw)

Hi,

Please stop worrying hun. The anti-depressants CAN lower your libido, but that doesn't happen to everyone. I think these drugs affect people differently. I have been on anti-depressants for 2 years and recently increased my dose, and to be honest I think it's had the opposite effect on me. Maybe it's because I feel happier in myself?

I'm pretty sure that any side effects you do get will disappear when you stop taking the drug. Please try not to worry about it.

I hope this helps a bit.

Love and hugs from shoegal xxx

Hi,
    I was on fluoxetine a few years ago and yes it did affect my ability, but I was only on them for 3 months. It came back no problem.

I am now on Citalopram and again it affected my libido and ability. However, I have been on them since October and sometime over the last couple of months (probably coinciding with my depression getting better) my libido came back big style and my ability to have one came back Sometimes, it is a bit harder work to achieve, but that is all part of the fun hun!

I think a reduction in depression and/or anx is probably more likely to be beneficial to you!

Incidentally, a friend of mine is on fluoxetine and she has noticed no difference at all!

Good luck, and think of the fun you can have seeing if there is any delay

Happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hello.
    I have experienced diminished sex drive due to antidepressants and anxiety medication.
    I am on Prothidaen now and it is lifting my depression, my belief is that a loss of sex drive is a small price to pay for eliminating the depression.
    I was a teenager the last time I had an orgasm and I am 36 now!
    To be honest I now believe that sex is a waste of valuable sleeping time

The thing is that I am longterm singleton and so loss of sex drive can be convenient when you are on your own

I would love to have a boyfriend/partner but only for hugs and mutual support, sex is something I don't enjoy or want.
    Saying that, I think my chances of finding a guy who doesn't want sex are about one billion to one

Eibhlin

Hi eib
    You and i would get on well together (I'm on Cipralex) but can you find a horny guy for my wife cause she doesn't appreciate the change!
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Rhubarb, looking at my most again today, I do realise that it seems like I am making 'light' of your problem. I am not, I know that loss of libido can cause problems in a relationship. Sorry for any offence or disregard caused.

Best Wishes

Eibhlin

Hello Rhubarb, welcome!

I experienced a great reduction in libido whilst taking Citalopram. This was very frustrating (!) at the time but it soon returned when I eventually stopped taking them - everything returned to normal almost overnight in fact!

Please try not to worry too much - I agree with Happyone. Just because you may not always arrive at your desired destination doesn't mean you can't enjoy the journey, while you're on meds!!

Anyway, people react differently so this may not even apply to you!

I was on citalopram and had the opposite effect on me. No sex drive is one of the symtoms I get when I'm depressed and so as my depression lifted it was brilliant - reminded me of what it is like to be well!

Remember that getting rid of depression is what is crucial at the moment....

Remember it's also possible that you'll have these side effects with one drug but not another - I started off on Citalopram and was totally dead from the waist down, not for want of trying mind you, and now on Escitalopram I manage after a fashion. It would be great to come off it and get back to normal but I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. What we need is to be able to get Wellbutrin in the UK - it's supposed to be some kind of wonder drug for folks like us, with none of the sexual side effects. Sadly it's not licensed for use in depression and anxiety here, although a different brand of the same thing called Zyban is licensed but only for smoking cessation! Apparently it's down to the manufacturers to apply for a license, I keep meaning to lobby them to do so but never have the time.

Sorry for the tangent, anyhow I'm sure things will sort themselves out, in my opinion meds are worth a try despite the side effects!

Wink Re: sex and anti depressants (sorry but need to knw)

Hiya, yes, you'll very likey find orgasms are not possible when taking anti depressants, but in my experience all is ok when you stop taking them.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information