Thread: HELP! Confusion/feeling Dumb

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation HELP! Confusion/feeling Dumb

Hi there everyone. this is my first post here so let me introduce myself. My Name is Kay and i Have been diagnosed with Depression and anxiety for 3 Years now. I had to leave my job in April due to my anxiety as it has progressively started to get worse. i am very conserned about a few symptoms i have been recently experiencing and its been driving me nuts! I keep having the sensation that reality is altered. ITs very hard to explain but it feels like i am seeing everything from a different perception. like life is going on and i am watching it in a way. i don't feel very connected to anything. Ive also been experiencing symptoms where I've been acting dumb. for example making a cup of tea but instead of putting the milk in the fridge i go to put the kettle in the fridge and then i realise what I'm doing mid way. i just wanted to know if anyone sees has experienced this and is it something i should be worried about ? many thanks for your help in advance

Re: HELP! Confusion/feeling Dumb

Hi Kay,
    I've been dealing with depersonalization and derealization with my anxiety for quite a while now and I feel this "feeling dumb" symptom quite a lot. When my depersonalization is bad (which is a lot of the time), I'll constantly do things like forget where I put my phone, forget what I was going to do, forget what I was going to say, misplace things and other things like you mentioned where you just feel completely unfocused and just like you are going through the motions without fully being present. It definitely sucks and can be frightening but it does tend to get a lot better once your anxiety simmers down a little bit.

I think it funny when i do that now.... like other day i put my plate of food in the fridge instead of the cheese :'), it all part of the journey sadly, Depression and anxiety already makes concentration hard but put depersonlisation/Derealization on top you have a perfect recipe for being stupid, Its not because were going nuts, it not because we got a serious brain illness... its because our minds has seperated us from reality which sadly also seperates you from common sense as you just get on with doing things without very much thought.

Ive suffered for last 4 years and it comes and goes but be strong

Hi Kayy Yeah can relate to your post had depression for some years now, but with me it can go worse where I have put something say on the work tops say a tin of baked beans to open and use and found I have put it in the fridge or some where else or leave the house keys in the door on the outside when I have come back in All manner of things if you want to chat off line send me a pm ATB

Thread Information