Thread: Afraid to start zoloft

Afraid to start zoloft

Hi everyone. For months I've had increasing insomnia to the point where I barely get any sleep now. Feeling lightheaded pretty much constantly and I'm saying some pretty ridiculous, paranoid, and superstitious things to my wife.

My doctor has prescribed Zoloft, but I'm afraid to take it because a common symptom is insomnia. Right now I'm afraid I have fatal insomnia - if you don't know what it is, don't look it up. I don't want to trigger anyone.

My symptoms have been consistent with the progression of the disease, and I just don't want to negatively influence my sleep any more.

Should I start taking Zoloft?

Re: Afraid to start zoloft

I am tonight changing from citalopram to sertraline tonight..... no tapering just a swap

scared about it but think i have to try

how about we both start tonight??

I am going straight on to 100mg

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

and what about the side effect of.....drowsiness, tired feeling ??

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I read your other thread Andrew, and was struck by the fact that you said that your 'mental health had deteriorated before the insomnia started'. You don't think that its a pretty straightforward connection, anxiety, depression and mental health problems leading to insomnia, and insomnia leading to exhaustion and then feeling delirious etc?

Fatal sleep insomnia; don't worry I don't need to look it up as I saw an article on it a couple of years ago, itis very very rare and mostly genetic in origin I believe, affecting family lines. Have you asked your doctor about this condition, and mentioned it before being prescribed the sertraline? I am interested to know if they gave you reassurance about this condition?

You mentioned also in your other thread that - umm was it valium or diazepam or something - had no effect. What dose have they prescribed you ?
    Last edited by Carys; 30-01-18 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by venusbluejeans View Post
    and what about the side effect of.....drowsiness, tired feeling ??
    In a moment of pure being fed up I ended up taking my Zoloft this morning. 25mg... I’m feeling somewhat sleepy but that could be because I haven’t eaten or drank anything yet. Also have some nausea and racing thoughts which aren’t far from what I’ve been experiencing without the pill.

Good luck with your swap and I do recommend starting it earlier rather than later because if you’re like me, prolonging it just adds more fears and dread.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I read your other thread Andrew, and was struck by the fact that you said that your 'mental health had deteriorated before the insomnia started'. You don't think that its a pretty straightforward connection, anxiety, depression and mental health problems leading to insomnia, and insomnia leading to exhaustion and then feeling delirious etc?

Fatal sleep insomnia; don't worry I don't need to look it up as I saw an article on it a couple of years ago, itis very very rare and mostly genetic in origin I believe, affecting family lines. Have you asked your doctor about this condition, and mentioned it before being prescribed the sertraline? I am interested to know if they gave you reassurance about this condition?

You mentioned also in your other thread that - umm was it valium or diazepam or something - had no effect. What dose have they prescribed you ?
    Thanks for the reassurance. I have 0.5mg of Ativan.

No I haven’t brought it up with my family doctor yet but I did with a previous one years back when o was having insomnia that wasn’t nearly as bad, and he said no. My counsellor seemed concerned about the lack of sleep and asked me to bring it up with my doctor and that just made the fear worse.

No I haven’t brought it up with my family doctor yet but I did with a previous one years back when o was having insomnia that wasn’t nearly as bad, and he said no. My counsellor seemed concerned about the lack of sleep and asked me to bring it up with my doctor and that just made the fear worse.
    Okkayyyy, so you have had this before years ago, but not quite as bad. Then, now the pictures builds, and it could be that the anxiety and stuff is worse this time couldn't it?

You counsellor will be concerned about the lack of sleep, but not for the reason you are assuming, but because that level of insomnia won't help your mental state and isn't good for you.

Ativan, is that lorazepam?

If it is lorazepam, then 0.5 mg is a small amount. I think you should consider returning to your doctor to discuss the dose. When I was given lorazepam a couple of years ago, during a very difficult anxious time (a medical condition that I needed treatment for) it took 1 mg for me to get to sleep. Please don't change anything without seeing your doctor first though, I'm not a medic and don't want responsibility for any medication alterations without discussion with your GP.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Something else to think about Andrew: I don't know how long you've been taking 0.5mg of Ativan? It is a drug that people become dependant on and resistant to at a continued dose (hence why they only give short courses). If you've been taking 0.5 mg for a while it can stop having a beneficial effect for you.

Thread Information