Hope no one else is currently online and that you are all enjoying your holidays.

My parents and I went to my aunt’s for Christmas lunch. We got back this evening and set to do chores, let the dogs out, and while I was inside feeding two of the dogs something attacked and killed my Sophie. She would have turned 13 this month. She was the best pup, one who could do anything and loved everyone and who went on many adventures. She was my boy Chisum’s best and only friend.

I feel like I should have known this would happen. I had a nervous feeling, I put Chisum up in my room while we were away because he can resource guard sometimes and I was so afraid they’d get into a scuffle and she’d be hurt. It didn’t matter. My mom took Chisum out while I fed the other dogs, I should have done it. I may have been able to get eyes on her. I just made it out in time to hear a wailing and then it was too late. My mom blames herself.

I just feel empty. I swear she was meant to live well into her teens and she didn’t get that chance. We were supposed to go back to the mountains this summer, we were going to prance around town. I almost feel in denial, I have no idea what to do.