I've had GAD and panic off and on for the last 20 years.
I was successfully on citalopram for a number of years but came off it because I was doing better and because of a family history of qt prolongation (about 4 years ago).
I've been really ill with anxiety since the beginning of the summer holiday (I'm a teacher). I'm particularly worried that I've got an overactive thyroid as the panic came out of nowhere and then spiralled, I also am losing a lot of hair, have irregular periods and have lost some weight.
The first doctor I spoke to prescribed sertraline but I felt hugely panicked when I took that as a family member didn't want me to take it as they had a bad experience with it. So phoned in a panic and the 2nd doctor prescribed me mirtazapine which I did persevere with for 8 weeks with not much effect. I'm now speaking to a 3rd doctor (but consistently them now) and they've switched me to Fluoxetine.

I'm now panicking that the fluoxetine won't work as I read a few things online that say it's "too stimulating" to work for panic. I feel like this is my last option as I can't ask to change again if this doesn't work.

Ive done CBT and counselling but 3 out of the 4 counsellors (the 4th didn't state an opinion either way) and several GPs have said they think it's a chemical imbalance and that I need to take medication long term.

I don't know what I'm asking really. I guess I just want to hear from people who fluoxetine has worked for. Or hear some words of encouragement / advice.