The fact that he tried couples therapy is a good sign. If he will give any therapy a go it shows he knows there are issues and that's a good start. It's obvious he needs some kind of help but what to do in the meantime.
I don't know your life and daily routine but changes need to made.
Is there a family member, friend that can be of any support to you?
Of course you can have support here but I'm thinking of more hands on support to be around.

I asked about the drinking because as a child I had some issues with my father (similar).
I learnt later that the drink was a crutch and the real issue was a weight of heavy responsibility and some grief between another family member. I just happened to be there.

The controlling is probably a sign of insecurity. Maybe he's always been this way and it's grown.
Maybe you haven't seen it so clearly as you do now but it's something that needs to be addressed and dealt with.
I'm assuming you don't want to split but at the same time you don't want this situation ongoing or to worsen so your hubby has to be prepared to deal with any demons he has before love turns to hatred.
I'm not saying you need this but it would be wise to have a place you could go to if the situation became too uncomfortable. Maybe a friend's place.
This is all assumptions as I don't know your full situation or how difficult it is for you.