Thread: Massive panic attack... worse on citalopram???

Massive panic attack... worse on citalopram???

Hi all,

I've come to the site today because I am having a bit of a setback I think... Having suffered with gad and depression since march I finally went onto citalopram a few months ago. I have upped my dose to 30mg a couple of weeks ago and i have noticed an improvement in my sleep, in my general mood, and in many of my physical anxiety-related symptoms. I'm still not great by any means but can see a slight improvement.

but i got into the shower this morning and had a massive panic attack - my face went numb, i felt like i was going to fall over, my vision went funny, i felt really confused, and i couldn't stop shaking.

I don't seem to be getting over the attack today very well and am obsessing about my anxiety again today. It feels like a big step back, particularly because panic attacks have never really been part of my anxiety. It has felt like I am getting worse... my whole body is stiff and i feel really desperate following this attack, like i can't concentrate on anything but the attack.

I have also been on antibiotics for a chest infection over the past five days and I was wondering if anyone thinks that they could make me feel worse? I have heard that they can cause a bit of confusion... I think they have cleared up the infection but i've been told to finish the course.

Having read other posts it seems that other people are having blips... i hope its just the weather... but more than that i hope its just another thing on the road to feeling better. To be honest though, if the citalopram doesn't start to work more effectively i may wean myself off them after xmas... i really didn't want to go on in the first place and the improvements i'm seeing aren't really worth it for being on a powerful drug, not for me anyway. I wonder how long i should give them before maybe going up to 40mg or calling it a day...

thanks,
    Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

Gareth

Were you already in the shower and under the water ?

Yes do finish the course of antibiotics.

I think its normal to struggle to let this sort of episode go immediately . I know I always obsessed about them for longer than was healthy to do so.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi Meg,

yes, I got up feeling absolutely fine - tired but fine.

i got into the shower, under the water, it hit me out of the blue. I had to get out of the shower because i thought i was going to topple over.

i think i was telling myself that i'd had a stroke... although can't recall the actual thoughts. I tried to just "let is wash over me", got dressed and out into the car to come to work.

Hi Gareth,

I posted something similar about a panic attack a few days ago. It was the worst panic attack ever (I even called an ambulance). I am into my fourth week of taking Citalopram and that probably has something to do with it. Like you, I dont feel any real improvement at the moment but am continuing the meds for a while. If you ever want a chat my friend then feel free to message me anytime.

Good Luck

Paul

Hi Gareth

Firstly welcome to NMP ! I too have had a bad experience in showers and baths, I once got caught in the bath and could not move, I screamed the place down!

I would imagine that having felt rather rough from being ill your body was reacting to the strain of feeling unwell. This is just one of many blips that all anxiety sufferers go through, but it will not last and it does get better!

I too am on citalopram and I now take 40mg, give it time, when you adjust the dosage it can take a few weeks to feel the benefits, you might also benefit from take some beta blockers to help with the physical symptoms of the panic

Take care and dont give up

Sue with 5

scknight

Apart from the very possible Citaprolam link do you think that its at all possible that you dropped your blood pressure under the hot water which would cause dizziness, visual, confusion issues and the rest followed as panic brought on by uncertainty of what was going on.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

I suppose that is possible Meg... I was told by the doc recently that I have slightly high blood pressure and should get it checked recently. I had recovered physically from the panic attack fairly quickly (apart from the shaking) but the mental shock of it is a different matter (as you know only too well)

I think that also I haven't been eating too well recently (been eating junk I mean) and there are other stressful things going on such as the death of my wife's grandmother and her being away tonight overnight.

Its v hard to place the causes of things when you're in the middle of them but i can see that i've been under more strain than usual over the past week or so.

thanks everyone for your replies

G

Hi All

Glad you're talking about Citalapram. I have been on a 30mg dosage for the last 10 weeks (having been switched from Seroxat). I felt that it was just taking the edge off the depression. Sometimes I felt that it was making my anxiety worse. I have had a couple of bad panic attacks recently with symptoms not experienced before.

The psychiatrist has just increased me to 40mg. At the moment I feel a bit like a zombie. Very listless and tired in the mornings. I still feel low. I may feel worse at the moment due to the increase in dosage. However I really need it to work because I'm getting fed up feeling low and anxious.

Sue, you said that the Citalapram has helped you - how long do you think before you saw a real improvement in yourself?

All my love
    Take care all
    Yvonne

Y Goble

Hi Gareth,

I think until you get to the dose of the citalopram that you are going to settle with, then you will get the odd blip.

Try not to focus on the bad day, but on all the good days instead. Remember the good days far outweigh the bad ones now.

Take care
    Trac XX

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Thread Information