Thread: Silly question!

Silly question!

I probably know the answer to this already, but would still appreciate any comments.

Could my panic attacks be due to my poor diet and lack of exercise?
    I never actually had a weight problem until a few years ago, when I started to comfort eat when I was about 20 and started gaining weight.
    I am now a size 22 and do pretty much no exercise. I never had any panic/anxiety problems until I put my weight on, and I've lost a lot of self-confidence because of my weight.

Without meaning to sound like I'm making excuses, I've been through a rough time in the past four years- had a couple of jobs that I hated, went through hell in my love life, so I have done a LOT of comfort eating. I also REALLY suffer with PMT and this can affect me for up to ten days before my period, and I know that my PMT has increased in severity with the onset of my poor diet and no exercise.

I guess some of you have read my original post from earlier today..that I have started having panic attacks whilst driving at night, and feelings of unreality..well last night, after having a hellish drive back from work, I decided to take my bike out for a cycle 'round the block' to get some fresh air and try to clear my head. My boyfriend (who has been absolutely fantastic through all of this), walked along whilst I was cycling, and while it was great to get some fresh air, I still felt very 'unreal'. It MUST be partly related to the dark , and also because I've not exercised for ages so obviously that would have been a shock to the system!!

So when I returned home from my walk/cycle, I had a bit of a rest then decided to go for a drive, with my boyfriend. I drove roughly ten miles on a route that I know, but don't often take, and I felt Ok- not great, but better than I felt when I'd been driving home from work earlier that evening.
    [:I]

So I don't know..I've got my head around the fact that I'm not going mad , no matter how spaced our or unreal I feel . I know that exercising has a positive effect on one's mental as well as physical health, but I'm scared that I'm doing myself harm when I exercise and feel light-headed/unreal like I did last night.. I also have low willpower when it comes to dieting and over the past few years I've joined, and quit, many slimming clubs because I just cant stick with it.[xx(]

I dont understand why, because everything is going so well for me at the moment- I've got a lovely boyfriend, a job that I enjoy, so why do I feel like this?!

xx

Hi Julia,

I would say that definately exercise and good eating will help (you know that really though don't you lol)!!

I would think on the eating side of things, rather than dieting as such go for the healthy eating idea more. Dont deny yourself little treats but think of the more healthy food as helping keep your anxiety at bay.

I dont rely on chocolate for raising my sugar levels anymore as it has such a horrible yo yo effect on me and can make me trembly so I now have a flapjack or a bannana and occasionally treat myself to a mixture of seeds & fruit thing that Meg makes. I do still eat chocolate (too much) but as a treat after a meal.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Julia,

Being overweight in itself is not a anxiety trigger but the changes in your body weight recently may have been and your blood sugar regulating mechanism may be off kilter temporaily whilst you have anxiety.

Try following a GI diet strictly for 3 weeks and assess how you are after that.

Exercise uses up adrenaline so can only be good for you for anxiety as well as for your long term health

We'll help you. We have a weight loss club going.

Hypoglycemia
    Gi Diet

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi again Julia

I think that a bad diet can certainly make you feel terrible,whether you are overweight or not.I dnt think it causes anxiety,but i really believe it can excacerbate symptoms.My diet was (and still is somedays)too high in sugar and i never ate enough fruit,veg,nuts etc.
    I am trying to rectify that now but i have eaten like this for years so it is a gradual thing.
    One thing that has really helped me is having a big breakfast,with carbs and protein,and trying to eat little and often through the day.
    As has previously been said,try to concentrate on eating more healthily as oppose to going on a diet.

I think i have gone off on a tangent here!!Oops,lol
    Hunny xx

Hi Julia,

Do you have a problem over self-perception and low self-esteem? I wonder if this is cauding the panic attacks, although quite often there is no one single cause. And as you say, you have bad PMT too.

Try to get your boyfriend to discipline you on a healthy eating regime and one for regular but sensible exercise such as walking and biking. Be kind to your body.

Its not the best time of year to start this, but if you can do it now, the new year will be a doddle!

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

I know from experience that weight gain and loss can affect the chemicals of the body. The brain's chemistry can be changed, so mood swings and feelings of parinoia/panic can become the norm. I am a sufferer of both these due to medication. Dr's can do more harm than good in my opinion.

Keep safe and well.

Peru83 is offline Intermediate Member
    <center>WELCOME</center>

Take Carexx

Claire

Thread Information