Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Aches and Pains

Chest Aches and Pains

Hi all,
    great to see the site up and running again
    I have woken up once again to my upper chest feeling very tight and a bit painful and of course I'm thinking cancer or something :(
    I am so miserable thinking that every little pain or minor illness is something major. The last month I have had brain tumor ( headache for a week) breast cancer (pain in left breast still comes and goes) bowel cancer ( TMI but bloated feeling and change in stools all the time from constipation to the other etc), throat cancer ( this comes and goes but sore achy throat and food sticking in throat) and several bouts of potential thrombosis ( leg pains)
    Then I get onto thinking that maybe there is something wrong and that is why my body keep getting all these problems, I keep visualising my body riddled with cancer and I cant seem to stop my head from thinking these things.
    If I had the time before christmas to see the doctor I would at this point have to have him check all of the above problems and would be there for hours :(
    On a plus side I have my first appointment with my trainee clinical psychologist this afternoon. I'm not sure he's going to know whats hit him after spending an hour with me. I'm feeling a bit of a hopeless case right now and I have no idea how he is going to help me get over this health anxiety.
    anyway sorry for rambling on as usual
    hope everyone is feeling ok and happy christmas to you all

lucy xx

Hi Lucy
    Not sure if it will help you in anyway to know that right at this moment i feel exactly the same, apart from the thrombosis bit.
    I too go through phases where i feel like i must be riddled,my symptoms tend to focus around the area that i am worried about and as at the moment it is my oesophagus/stomachi am having every symptom from tight/sore throat, mild globus hystericus to heartburn/acidreflux, stomach and chest pains, ibs symptoms,i am a walking miracle,i have just been to tesco to do my x mas food shop,put it all away and sat down to have breakfast,not bad for someone as "seriously ill" as me. Lucy you are definately not alone in how you feel but rest assured it is the evil monster anxiety that is making you feel this way, try your very best to divert yourself so as not to allow the evil thing to ruin your x mas,banish it to a planet far far away,with appropriate help from medical profession, each other and a lot of inner strength together we CAN slay this monster for good
    let us know how you get on this afternoon, we are always interested

I just want my life back
    nell
    x

This is classic health anxiety - hopefully when you get working with him he will take you through some CBT steps so you can start to tackle this underlying fear.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

contiuously obsessed with dying
    'what if this is it this time thoughts'
    CONSTANT CHECKING
    can someone reasure me?
    Fear of tumour...
    25, new to the site & would LOVE SOME ADVICE !
    Holiday broke the vicious cycle
    health anxiety sucks!!
    Reassurance Seeking - Is it Ok??
    lymphoma at 17? unlikely i know...but still...
    Having one right now

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Ladies I feel the exact same way. It is such a relief when you see someone whose life is exactly like yours. It makes me feel "normal" and not so alone. One thing though - I am finding it really hard at times to keep my anxiety from showing at home. I don't want my kids to see how stressed I feel and the symptoms I have. Sometimes I think that leads to more anxiety trying to "act" through it. Does anyone else find that. Also, is anxiety hereditary?? I would hate to see my kids go through this.

yes, i do find it hard hiding it from my kids especially the older they are getting, in particular my daughter who is 13 and very astute, and i hope none of them turn out to be worriers like me........[Sigh...]

I just want my life back
    nell
    x

hi lucy,i too have all the symptoms you have had especially the bad leg pains,ive had a cough for about 10 week terrified its lung cancer,had antibiotics and its still there,but you always think this time its real im not imagining it,ille be over the moon if it goes before the new year and i dont have to worry about it,but there again ille probabally have something else seriously wrong with me i always get worse at xmax your not alone pollyxx

p appleyard

Lucy I too have had all the medical business that you have - I have been through the medical encyclopedia and I'm starting all over again lol!!

How did todays appointment go???

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> Also, is anxiety hereditary?? I would hate to see my kids go through this.
    <div align="right">Originally posted by Canada Girl - 21 December 2005 : 15:52:50</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I think it's hereditary..... or partly so. I'm a worrier and for the last while I've had a severe health anxiety thing going on.

While chatting with my mum yesterday it became apparent to me that she suspected I was suffering with stress/anxiety. I have never mentioned it to her but mothers know these things.

She described temporarily losing the power of her left arm from stress when she was my age. She said 'I know you take on too much sometimes and it gets you down - only do one thing at a time son'. I told her that I've recently discovered that I can't manage stress very well.

She said 'be careful son - that can kill you'.

Bless her.....

Keep On Keepin On

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> I too have had all the medical business that you have - I have been through the medical encyclopedia and I'm starting all over again lol!!
    <div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 21 December 2005 : 21:34:35</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Me too Piglet! I think I've even invented some things not in the medical encyclopedias too! Lol.

Hope you're feeling better Lucy.

Lisa

hey thats me aswell lucy
    i worry that as the doctors see me as someone with anxiety disorder that if i go they dismiss me and eventually there really will be something terminal wrong with me ie at mo i have blood clot or tumour on brain and pos heart or lung probs recently i have heard of about 4 reasonlbly young people dying suddenly or quickly so i think this has made my health anxiety come back in force and after improving feel back to square one but the show must go on but lucy i think we realise we are not alone ( judging by replies haha)
    piglet my boyfriend would not let me get medical encyclopedia i wonder why...
    and nell i want my life back too (if any one noes whos got it can you ask them to send it back)
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information