Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: panicky and anxious during exercise

panicky and anxious during exercise

Hi there! I would like to know if anyone could help me re controlling and calming the body during physical exertion like weight-training and walking. I have hyperventilation syndrome and the last time I had an attack was in the gym in the middle of my workout. So i get quite anxious everytime I hit the gym or even trying to do aerobic work by walking 15-20mins.. I'm slowly phasing my intensity working with light weights to gain back my confidence, but after 15-20mins of exercising I'll suddenly feel anxious, caused by rapid heartbeat, and feeling short-breathed, w/c is normal during exercise. So what I tend to do is stop immediately, I don't even shed a sweat from it. I'm trying to focus myself to the work at hand, and trying to enjoy my workout, but the anxiety and doubts are just uncontrollable! Any advice from you guys will be so much appreciated! thanks!

Exercise and panic attacks
    Why Exercise WORKS!

Exercise - yes it does work

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Hi eXan
    A cd of a comedian may help, when I went away once we purchased one and I found the man so funny I forgot all about my anxiety.

This week I went to aerobics with a friend and started off really anxious but it calmed down after 10 mins and in the end I completely forgot all about it........I am starting to realise happy thoughts are so IMPORTANT.
    If I go out on a day I feel happy I cope better than on just a dull day.

Also your breathing is key to your problems, I also hypervent alot and get major dizzy spells which are scarey.....I am searching for a breathing therapy CD but as yet cant find one.
    You can do it........remember HAPPY THOUGHTS.

mirryx

Hi

I think breathing is the key, try diapraghmatic breathing, it helps to calm you down and make you ready for anything

Keith

Yeah! I'm trying the "happy thoughts" thing, but I guess It will really take time for me to regain my confidence. I'm doing great practicing the belly breathing, going almost 7 breaths per minute, doing slow, rythmicall breathing. But the anxiety is the one I'm really combating now! I don't want to rely on medicines as I've been here before, it's just a different scenario. I think I'm only anxious now whenever I'll be doing any physical exercises, w/c I don't want to rule over me to not be able to live a healthy lifestyle!

i find i get this when im walking long distance and if i have to walk up steep hills i get like a feeling i cant breathe properly then i started to watch my breathing which makes it worse.

so i tend not to walk any where far now.

hi;

I totally understand where your coming from with exercise. I went through a phase where I didn't exercise at all (and even took the bus home as I live up a big hill) as I get terrified I'll have a heart attack. One of the things that I find works especially if I'm going through an intense period of anxiety, is going to yoga and pilates classes instead of doing aerobic exercise. I also have DVDs at home, and it really helps because part of the exercise routine itself is focusing on breathing during exercise. You won't work up a sweat, but both are great for toning (especially the abs) and you'll feel more relaxed after as well. I actually find it works better than burning thousands of calories on the treadmill! xx

Shortness Of Breath!!

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

Thanks for all your messeges and helpful advices! Well. I've been doing yoga since I had my last attack. and it surely helped me lot with regards to breathing, relaxation and meditation. I'm more controlled now. What I'm coping up with is the anxiety that rules over me when I'm doing physical exertion. Thanks Meg, for the thread. I'm doing what has been told there, coz I do really think that I have to condition my mind and body during those aerobic work, like walking. I know it will take time, but I'll be patient with it. Thanks again guys

Good for you Exan

Keep it going - it does get easier as the effects are cumulative and you form new better habits.

Meg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information