Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another article AGAINST antidepressants (including SSRIs)

Another article AGAINST antidepressants (including SSRIs)

It seems like every morning I wake up with the intention to finally take my Citalopram medication and then I find a reason not to.

Today I randomly came across this article on Daily Mail website and now it's got me feeling nervous about taking them again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...just-well.html

Any thoughts?

Re: Another article AGAINST antidepressants (including SSRIs)

I found that article really interesting and I have to say that for me it was true.

I never found anti-depressants to be of any help - maybe because I was dead against taking them so did not have the incentive that some have in thinking they were a miracle cure.

So to me they were a placebo and because I had no interest in them they didn't work (for me) I gave them all up over 12 years ago and would never go back down that route again.

I would love to see more info on this subject - thanks for posting it here.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I found that article really interesting and I have to say that for me it was true.

I never found anti-depressants to be of any help - maybe because I was dead against taking them so did not have the incentive that some have in thinking they were a miracle cure.

So to me they were a placebo and because I had no interest in them they didn't work (for me) I gave them all up over 12 years ago and would never go back down that route again.

I would love to see more info on this subject - thanks for posting it here.
    Are you anxiety free now Nicola? If so, well done for doing it without the pills!

i dont take them they didnt work for me infact made me feel worse

I have worked through Anxiety for several years now without any drug use. However this year several things changed with me and I could no longer control it anymore.

So 4 weeks ago working with my GP I started Citalopram slowly increasing to my current dose of 20mg. I have felt some side effects, but nothing major and I have to say I think they work for me for whatever reason. I have gone from a 24/7 panic anxiety state to a much calmer place. My GP never stated it would be a miracle cure and with her I am also working back through counselling/CBT and meditation etc. With some dietary changes and habit breaking I am starting for the first time to seriously look at the reasons behind why I am like this.

The way I view the medication is that it gives me a chance to breathe whilst dealing with the real issues. Placebo or not it works for me and that is all I need. Everyone is an individual and should be able to have the choice of access to healthcare - be that medication or counselling.

I do agree that the ultimate cure is not medication, but self analysis, counselling etc. However the article does not say how they intend to resolve the issue (certainly in the UK) of the already overworked/understaffed and underfunded Mental Health Support system. The waiting times alone for simple therapies and CBT are already too long and if all people are to come off medication and enter this system it would need to be seriously improved or many people would be in more pain for far too long.

Apologies if this turned into a personal crusade, but I have firm beliefs in access to treatment that works for the individual whatever that may be

If meds did'nt work or help why would GP's and Physciatrists prescribe them?

Steve - I still get anxiety at times. I would not say I was completely free of it all.

The route I went down was self-help and CBT which suited me better than feeling doped up on drugs that didn't "cure" me anway lol

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Steve - I still get anxiety at times. I would not say I was completely free of it all.

The route I went down was self-help and CBT which suited me better than feeling doped up on drugs that didn't "cure" me anway lol
    Great, good on you! That's inspirational to others.

Hi all,

I just have to add that I think it is an individual thing. I'm almost 40 and been trying for all my life to "cure myself". Been to counselling numerous times, which would get me out of the drowning sensation but I would then just tread water until then next drowning event.
    I was totally against meds, not wanting to have it on my medical record etc but I was sufficiently nagged by family until I gave in. And boy am I glad I did. It may not suit all people but for me, citalopram has been wonderful. Yes I have lost my sex drive and my short term memory has got worse, BUT the plus side really is worth the loss. I find myself smiling randomly, I have felt pride and achievement in something I made the other weekend (the first time in my entire life!!!), when people ask "how are you" I can really say "I'm ok thanks" without lying! Before I started taking the meds I was very sceptical, thinking how can meds affect a physiological problem, but I am now 100% convinced it is something physical in the brain, as the change in me is amazing.
    Obviously the meds in themselves are not the solution however I have been trying CBT for some time, and when doing the evidence sheets (where you state a thought and then try to produce evidence for and against that thought) before the meds, I could not think of a single positive thing to write, not that I was blocking them, I was really trying to think but nothing came. As I started to take the meds, the positive thoughts began to come, the negative too, but I could at least write something positive to try to win the fight.
    'Scuse the long waffle, but IMHO they have been really really worth it, but your mileage may vary.
    Good luck whatever route you decide to take.
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by rachelb View Post
    Hi all,

I just have to add that I think it is an individual thing. I'm almost 40 and been trying for all my life to "cure myself". Been to counselling numerous times, which would get me out of the drowning sensation but I would then just tread water until then next drowning event.
    I was totally against meds, not wanting to have it on my medical record etc but I was sufficiently nagged by family until I gave in. And boy am I glad I did. It may not suit all people but for me, citalopram has been wonderful. Yes I have lost my sex drive and my short term memory has got worse, BUT the plus side really is worth the loss. I find myself smiling randomly, I have felt pride and achievement in something I made the other weekend (the first time in my entire life!!!), when people ask "how are you" I can really say "I'm ok thanks" without lying! Before I started taking the meds I was very sceptical, thinking how can meds affect a physiological problem, but I am now 100% convinced it is something physical in the brain, as the change in me is amazing.
    Obviously the meds in themselves are not the solution however I have been trying CBT for some time, and when doing the evidence sheets (where you state a thought and then try to produce evidence for and against that thought) before the meds, I could not think of a single positive thing to write, not that I was blocking them, I was really trying to think but nothing came. As I started to take the meds, the positive thoughts began to come, the negative too, but I could at least write something positive to try to win the fight.
    'Scuse the long waffle, but IMHO they have been really really worth it, but your mileage may vary.
    Good luck whatever route you decide to take.
    Rachel
    Also inspirational !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information