I feel rather stupid about my phobias which are connected with food. Not sure how it started, perhaps with a 'bad' visit to the dentist about 8 years ago when a clean with the high pressure water thing went badly wrong and I ended up nearly choking on the water, having a panic and the dentist then having a 'pop' at me for making a fuss. Since then, I have been very guarded with anything to do with my mouth, particularly watery food like fruit as if anything watery goes towards the back, I immediately think I am going to choke on it and panic.

That's bad enough but I am just, to be honest, a bit afraid of eating now and just hate doing it. Which is bad news if I want to stay alive. I don't like eating out as that involveds talking and eating which is a right no no for me now. I can't even relax when eating indoors with my partner, i tense up as soon as the food appears and then it's really hard to swallow. I used to love my food and hate being like this but i don't know how to tackle it.

I have thought of two things - firstly I've been trying to desensitise my gag reflex by eating watery things in a controlled way. It's going okay but I have good days and bad days. Secondly, I'm considering hypnotherapy to see if the therapist can find the root of the problem and sort it out.

One other thing. If i'm preoccupied with something else, the 'fear' recedes and I can eat normally. For example, a friend was taken ill just before we had people round and I was worried about her all through the meal - and ate it, no bother. But of course, you can't have that sort of thing on your mind all the time.

Does anyone else have something similar or am I just a solo mad person with this phobia. Anyone??