Quote Originally Posted by blondie47 View Post
When my HA flares up, the way I pull myself up is to count my blessings. I realize at age 53 I will never be the type of person who can just toss off my worries as no big deal. It just isn't going to happen, I am a worrier. But what I can do is count my blessings - I can look at my life and see all the good in it, even though I've gone through some terrible tragedies I have also experienced great love and happiness. I was lucky enough to give birth to and raise two wonderful sons, have had a satisfying career, and while my first marriage wasn't all that I dreamed it would be when I said, "I do", I learned from it and the mistakes I made.

Going through the list of things that have been good in my life sort of levels me and allows me to think, well, if this particular cancer worry turns out to be the "real thing", then at least I've had a good run.

I realize for others that might sound fatalistic and morbid, but it works for me. It might not be what you were looking for when you started this thread, but I thought I'd throw it out there - perhaps other people with HA can relate in some way. I'm a realist by nature, and this is my way of coping in a positive way.

As a two time heart attack (triple bypass and stents) as well as stage IV cancer survivor, I live by the words in my signature below.

"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

What you're saying is not morbid as much as it's realistic as you said. Believe me, when I was faced with the reality of my illnesses, I did a heck of a lot of soul searching and felt much the same way.

People with HA are always concerned about the "What Ifs"... What if the doctor is wrong? What if this or that or the other.... What I find more concerning than that are the "What Ifs" in the sense of not doing something due to fear. The saddest thing to me are seeing people not living for fear of "What If?" ...People who never follow a dream or take a chance for the fear of "What If?". The way I see it, we know how deep the water is and we know how to swim. The worst that can happen is we get a little wet. That's why we have towels

Positive thoughts