Quote Originally Posted by panicface View Post
Sadly, I didn't find Xanax until I was in my 30's... So I went through literally hundreds of panic attacks with nothing...
You were probably lucky you didn't find Xanax (alprazolam) earlier. The benzodiazepines actually worsen anxiety disorders by promoting the loss of brain cells1 in the hippocampal regions of the brain which is the physical underpinning2 of these disorders. The most (self)prescribed anti anxiety drug, alcohol, has the same problem, as does the THC component of cannabis.

How much Xanax are you taking now? It might be why the escitalopram is losing effectiveness. Both antidepressants and the cognitive, behavioural (CBT, REBT) and mindfulness therapies work by stimulating the growth of new hippocampal brain cells which is the reverse of what the Xanax is doing if you're taking it regularly.

[1]

Boldrini M, Butt TH, Santiago AN, et al. (2014)
Benzodiazepines and the potential trophic effect of antidepressants on dentate gyrus cells in mood disorders.
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. Dec;17(12):1923-33 (Abstract | Full text)

Nochi R, Kaneko J, Okada N, et al. (2013)
Diazepam treatment blocks the elevation of hippocampal activity and the accelerated proliferation of hippocampal neural stem cells after focal cerebral ischemia in mice.
J Neurosci Res. Nov;91(11):1429-39 (Abstract)

Sun Y, Evans J, Russell B, et al (2013)
A benzodiazepine impairs the neurogenic and behavioural effects of fluoxetine in a rodent model of chronic stress.
Neuropharmacology. Sep;72:20-8 (Abstract)

Song J, Zhong C, Bonaguidi MA, et al (2012)
Neuronal circuitry mechanism regulating adult quiescent neural stem-cell fate decision.
Nature. Sep 6;489(7414):150-4 (Article | Study full text)

Chen J, Cai F, Cao J, et al. (2009)
Long-term antiepileptic drug administration during early life inhibits hippocampal neurogenesis in the developing brain.
J Neurosci Res. Oct;87(13):2898-907 (Abstract)

Wu X, Castren E. (2009)
Co-treatment with diazepam prevents the effects of fluoxetine on the proliferation and survival of hippocampal dentate granule cells.
Biol Psychiatry. Jul 1;66(1):5-8 (Abstract)

Stefovska VG, Uckermann O, Czuczwar M, et al (2008)
Sedative and anticonvulsant drugs suppress postnatal neurogenesis
Ann Neurol. 2008 Oct;64(4):434-45 (Abstract)

See also: the 'Ugly' part of Benzodiazepines: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

[2]
(Wayback Machine Archive - original site starts here, but graphics links broken)

Chapter 6: What happens inside people’s brains when they’re depressed?

Chapter 7: Why do some parts of the brain atrophy during major depression?

Chapter 8: What is causing brain atrophy in depression?

Chapter 9: Some good news — anti-shrink molecules!

Chapter 10: All the Players on One Stage

Chapter 11: Can the Shrinkage Be Reversed?

Chapter 12: Putting it all together
Genes, Stress, Depression and Atrophy — Conclusion