Today my dad were driving over this railway bridge down the road from our estate with me in the vehicle with him and noticed with horror that some mindless muppet had defaced said bridge with graffiti tags.

I said to my dad 'do you think we should report it?' and he replied with 'No, the police, council, etc have got other far more important things to be dealing with right now' and also told me to 'stop bellyaching', as if he doesn't give a flying fig about such issues himself anymore.

Yes I understand resources are generally stretched with pretty much all public services right now but I can't help feeling that we're becoming an increasingly defeatest, 'walk on by' society where we now basically feel discouraged from reporting things that aren't right to the authorities and simply taking petty crimes on the chin and accepting them as a 'fact of modern-day life'.

I never forget a lot of Tories (both MPs and voters) constantly bemoaning this sorry situation during the latter half of the 2000s and playing the 'Broken Britain' card, plus I also remember Cameron and Co pledging to get tougher on a lot of these feral louts while still in opposition but strangely it seems that they've now long ceased caring and barely even seem to bat an eyelid anymore.

I do often wonder if society at large is now simply beyond caring about such issues that people often never shut up about some 15 or more years ago?