Thread: Abnormal smear and blood test results, sooo scared now!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Abnormal smear and blood test results, sooo scared now!

Well smear test results came back today. The test shows changes which may be precancerous, have to go back in 6 months for another one! Cant really believe its abnormal, lets just say cervical cancer must be down to other things as well as HPV, cos only had sex for the first time 4 months ago (im 26)!! Plus I dont have risk factors associated with cervical cancer either i.e. theres nothing wrong with my immune system, dont smoke, no family history etc. Cant believe my bad luck when im so terrified of medical stuff and it was so unbelievably traumatic to have the test in the first place that I was shaking and crying, dont know a single person whos ever had an abnormal result. Infact the nurse and doc even said you dont really need one as were so unlikely to find anything and the nurse actually said since I was so scared and so unlikely to have anything wrong I could put it foff for a bit!

Ive basically had abnormal periods since started them at 11 which posted a while ago about. By irregular I mean they differ in how far apart they are each time (shortest gap was about 4 days and longest 7 weeks), how heavy they are each time (from traces of blood in discharge to fairly heavy), to how long they last (from 5 to 12 days). If anything though theu are much too frequent and long as oppose to being very far apart. I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between the bleeding being frequent periods or spotting really they are so irregular which was one of things that really got me worried. I've never been on the pill or any other kind of hormonal birth control. I ve also ahd pain each time have sex but dont know if this is down to sex being fairly new thing to me or not.

My doc did blood tests and an internal exam, she said she noticed I was very red internally and there was alot of discharge, came back as no yeast or bacterial infection so this is still left unexplained. So she sent me for blood tests, a smear and im sceduled to have a transvaginal ultrasound. The blood test came back with alot of hormones elevated, especially testosterone, so the doc said probs PCOS, wait to see what the ultrasound shows althogh she did point out that PCOS wouldnt explain, redness, discharge or pain during sex, but just left that open which already had me worrying its something worse as she did mention some gynecological cancers (and even adrenal cancer) could show those symtoms and blood test results!!!and in the meantime my smear test results have now come back abnormal!

The smear results coupled with the abnormal blood tests and the abnormal bleeding, pain during sex, redness and disharge has me a complete wreck at the moment! just about all fit with cervical cancer....

I know changes dont mean cancer itself USUALLY but they can only say what the changes are i.e. how far along teh changes are or if they are cancer, when they do a colonoscopy and that wouldnt be until well into next year for me (as have to wait for the next smear test in feb!)! and as this was my first ever smear at 26 im thinking that the changes might be really far along (and even cancer) given the symptoms ive had. Or the cervical changes may be a result of another gynecological cancer e.g. ovarian or uterine.

Ages wait till next smear, and at least another 7-8 weeks until vaginal ultrasound to see if have PCOS or something worse, am having an extremely bad day!!!
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 10-09-10 at 14:30.

Thread Information