Hi, I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.

I went to see my GP yesterday about a specific phobia I am suffering from. She suggested that seeing a psychologist and undergoing CBT would be the best route for me to take.

The waiting list on the NHS in our area is years...I cannot wait that long so I asked my doctor to look into going privately. The cost I was told would be £200 for the initial consultation, and £150 thereafter. I suffer from M.E also, and can't work due to my health so there's no way I can afford this.

I'm looking into other psychologists in my area, and have been phoning around...i've found many charge around £40-£60. The main question I have is is this too cheap?! I know it sounds a crazy thing to say but there seems to be such a difference in price I'm worried the 'cheaper' alternatives won't be as effective. Or are some psycologists simply being greedy and charging insane amounts?

One particular psychologist i'm looking into is regestered with The British Psychology Society www.bps.org.uk...is this is reputable organisation?

Ive looked at the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies www.babcp.org.uk but the only ones listed in my area are the 'expensive' ones at the clinic my doctor suggested.

I want to find someone who can help me and who knows what they're doing...should there be anything else I should look into before making a decision?

Thank you so much.