Hi everyone,

My GP prescribed cit for me 6 weeks ago for general anxiety precipitated by a bereavement and also long term unemployment/financial insecurity. I was reluctant to take them at first, this being my first experience of SSRIs/ADs but with the support of my bf, I started on 20mg as prescribed, at 5pm each day. Apart from feeling like I'd been drugged when I woke up, and sleeping longer (from average 9hrs normal to 11-12+), I was fine. My mood picked up, the tears stopped and I started to feel something like I vaguely remembered as 'normal'.

So, I go back to GP 4 weeks later for a follow up and to get next prescription and without a word of warning, she ups my dose to 40mg! Ever since then it's been horrendous. It's been two weeks on 40mg now and I have a permanent low level headache all day long, the few days I changed to taking my dose in the morning, I was in a druggy sleep for 3 hours by mid afternoon and my brain has turned to sludge. I've switched back to taking my dose in the evening which means I can manage to stay awake during the day but I still feel like a zombie and can barely hold a thought in my head for more than a few seconds. Emotionally I feel numb, nothing bothers me at all now and that's not right is it? I'm seeing a counsellor now, which is great and what I wanted in the first place, rather than medication. I've no interest in anything (other than sleep!) and have gone from hill walking 15 miles a week, even at the worst of my anxiety, to struggling to summon up the energy/will to walk to the corner shop. I've got the most horrendous dark circles under my eyes and I don't recognise the person in the mirror any more.

I'm going to see my GP again tomorrow and would really appreciate some advice. Should I struggle on at 40mg in the hope that I will start to function again soon or ask to go back down to 20mg? I'm really unclear as to why I was put on 40 when I was perfectly OK on 20mg, is this standard practice?

I've just finally been offered a new job after over a year and although it's unlikely to start for 3-4 weeks I need to be firing on all cylinders when I do. I'm also concerned that the emotional numbness is stopping me grieving mum and that this will not help me long term.

I would really welcome any suggestions/comments and if you've read this far, thank you!

SF