Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Riot fears

Re: Riot fears

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    As I say, my workplace is getting heavily into AI as a time-saver. It's always made clear - and I make it clear when training people - it's only ever a jumping off point, and the creation of a piece of text or resource is where human input begins.
    I agree.

Like I said about 2 posts ago, the AI medium obviously needs to be perfected over time, but of course still nothing can beat proper research by proper (unbiased) human experts; peer-reviewed and all.

Like I've said before, there definitely seemed to be elements of tension, hostility and general angst in the air during the period 2003-11, especially starting with the controversy surrounding the war in Iraq and the word 'ch@v' suddenly being banded around en masse (and its much-feared and despised accompanying culture) in 2003, and then coming to a head with the city riots and the fag end of the Global Financial Crisis in 2011.

Then we had a seemingly less-tense few years until the Brexit thing came along in 2016, coupled with the spate of ISIS-fuelled terrorist attacks around the world (including England in 2017), sparking yet another period of polarisation and general angst within society, then in the early 2020s the Covid pandemic, whose after-effects we're still feeling now, despite the virus itself now seemingly being far less harmful for the most part, coupled with (since late 2021) the COL crisis and the onset of major conflicts in Ukraine, Israel/Gaza, etc.

It does seem that we've almost always had these cycles of 'polycrises' that tend to span around 7-8 years on average, while other 'issues' have either remained pretty much constant or fluctuated over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Having said that, Lencoboy, I hope this reasonable AI answer will help you stop mithering, because, after all and unless I’m mistaken, isn’t that what you wanted?
    Yes, it's definitely what I wanted, and many of the possible theories expressed do seem rather plausible as regards the superficially rather surprising lack of large-scale disturbances here in Britain post-2011.

My day centre keyworker said to me yesterday when I was having a chat in private with him about various concerns of mine that he believes that rioting doesn't really achieve anything mega constructive (but a culture of further fear and angst) in the long run and is therefore largely a waste of time in this day and age, especially with the advent of various forms of electronic communication that still weren't quite so apparent in most past decades.

We also discussed the virtues of 'zero tolerance' regarding the behaviours of certain other clients, and my keyworker believes it's a waste of time in the context of the situation at my day centre and back in the days of the local County Council running such places he believed ZT was a bit of an overzealous 'quick fix' solution to problems that never really existed in the first place and was often fodder for certain staff members with power-mad tendencies, plus of course 'treating the symptoms' rather than attempting to address many of the underlying issues contributing to certain behaviours, which he believes ZT just for the sake of it often fails to do, plus also thinks that ZT can be a rather lazy, knee-jerk response solution in the same context.

However, I'll shut up and let it go now.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information