Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: terrified of rectal cancer!

Re: terrified of rectal cancer!

hi sorry to be nuisance, when you say you went the doctor were you given a rectal examination and were you given any treatment for the fissure? i've just finished the suppositries my gp gave me and i'm still getting some pain and discomfort. I'm so worried, my son got married yesterday and i could'nt really enjoy myself because of this hanging over me. I keep getting these really dark thoughts about not being here for my kids, the fear is so bad that it almost paralysis me. I feel on the verge of tears all day and am findind it hard to eat. I'm a complete wreck. sorry for sounding dramatic.

If anyone has any words of reassurance, please reply. i'm struggling to function and i have to go to work soon. can't cope.

Your GP is the key here.He should be reasurring you about not having rectal cancer whilst treating your possible fissure/piles. I had an anal fissure brought on by the excessive standing I did in my previous job. I wouldn't let anybody examine me and it wasn't until I was admitted to hospital for my depression that I allowed my psychiatrist (who had previously been a GP) to examine me. I was seen by a general surgeon and had a spincterotomy (a cut to heal from the bottom on its own).as a day case. I was treated for piles but of course it wasn't that. My pain was excrutiating and I couldn't sit down apart from on a rubber ring. Pelvic pain can be indicative of many things. If your own GP doesn't want to help go to see someone else. Best wishes.

GP did do a digital rectal exam (ie, no scope used), and could see the fissure. I was eventually given GTN ointment which is a relatively new treatment for fissures (enables them to heal in a lot of cases without need for surgery). However, didn't really work for me, and I was referred to a colorectal surgeon. By the time my appoinment came round several months later, the fissure had healed, although when they examined me they said they could see the scar from where it had been. Now I have one again. This time the GP just looked and said he could see it without doing a full exam. I said I would just eave it to see if it would heal, I think it is getting a bit better, but this is nearly 7 months after it happened.

I know how you feel about not being there for your children. I'm very scared of cancer too and am always worrying that I won't see them grow up.

Hi the doctor did mention that my problem could either be a fissure or piles, i've finished my medication now and the pain seems to have subsided but i have an ache in my lower back which is worrying me now. I saw my cbt counsellor yesterday and i found that quite helpful but every now an then the fear starts to creep back in.

When you had a fissure what was the pain like? and was it always there or did it come and go?

I'm going on holiday to Turkey on Monday and i'm so hoping that i will be feeling completely better by then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information