Thread: Shoulder Pain/General Feeling of Being Unwell

Shoulder Pain/General Feeling of Being Unwell

I injured both my shoulder's somehow, it could have been from sports or from work. I'm terrified that it is something serious and won't go away or will need surgery to repair. I've also been feeling generally unwell since the pain has started. When it first started, I thought it was bone cancer and told myself to stop being silly. Now I think it could be torn rotator cuffs (which the doctor seems to think as well), obviously I have googled this and looked at the worst case scenario, surgery. Now, I've had problems like this before, I had a separated shoulder a couple years ago from lifting a very heavy object on my shoulder. The pain was excruciating for a long time and took a long time to heal that I thought it would never go away. It did, it took 3 or 4 months and physio therapy but it did. That's the good news. Even though I've been in a similar situation that has turned out just fine, i'm still terrified and think that this will not. You might ask me why I'm terrified of possibly needing surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. Let me give you some more of my health anxiety. I was diagnosed a few years back with Gilbert's Syndrome/Disease. It is a benign liver disfunction that can cause some issues if not handled appropriately. In surgery, I would need to have general anesthesia (another terrifying aspect), and this could be a problem with Gilbert's if the Anesthesiologist doesn't know to monitor some glucotransfiranse or whatever levels, so that scares me. I'm also terrified of having a general anesthetic because I don't have any control and i'm afraid I won't wake up. I have an over-exaggerated fear of death, because I don't know what is after it and of the possible pain associated with just before, I'm also afraid of there being nothingness, if that makes sense.

Put all this together in a big tight ball, and this is what happens everytime I am unwell. It sucks and it is very tiring.

I've been to group therapy for Panic Disorder/Claustrophobia, which helped a little, but I have so many different issues to deal with, I just don't know where to start.

I feel helpless like there will never be a solution to this and I live everyday subconsciously or consciously in fear of my health and death.

I know I went a bit off topic here but I really just wanted to get this off my chest with people I know will understand how I feel.

Re: Shoulder Pain/General Feeling of Being Unwell

Hi Theriex your injury sounds pretty soar-I had a very mild strain in one after a gym session and was surprised how painful it was so i feel for you. I'm sure all will go well if you're forced to have the op. After all the Anesthesiologist is a specially trained Dr too, and will have had many opportunities to monitor patients with all sorts of peculiar conditions. Take care.

Thread Information