Thread: Wife is 10 days late and not worried, any ladies help me understand?

Wife is 10 days late and not worried, any ladies help me understand?

So, a few things. I am 45 and my wife is 42. I had a vasectomy years ago (7 of them) and life went on.

This month, her period still has not shown up. It is 10ish days late. She does not seem freaked out about it, and I don't have the understanding of these things for obvious reasons. I don't want to pester her about it, as my anxious mind reels at the possibility my vasectomy somehow self corrected--an admittedly very rare possibility (1 in 4000 vasectomies on average) of course someone has to be the 1, and our anxious minds usually assume it is us. She is not overworried about it, but I am of course crazy with worry.

Is it common for periods to be just oddly late like this, especially at her age? She is usually fairly regular and predictable, within a few days. 10 days seems really late to me, but then what would I know.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Re: Wife is 10 days late and not worried, any ladies help me understand?

If there is one thing I've learnt about women, it's that when it comes to health - they are on the ball much more than we men are and from an early age because of the changes they go through. We are still towel flicking and kicking a ball about when they are talking to each other about complex changes in their bodies.

So, if your wife isn't worried, I think that's very important. If she had a concern about a change, she would see a doctor about it.

At her age, there is an obvious cause and perhaps that's what she is thinking hence is not worried? She may have been having other symptoms that link to perimenopause, menopause, etc and not discussed them.

I'm a mere man so know as much as you but that's what I would be thinking. I'm sure the ladies on here will give you far better responses to reassure you but I suspect asking your wife a vague & innocent "oh, what's caused that then" might lead to a very simple answer. That's what I hope anyway.

It's most likely perimenopause as periods start becoming further and further apart during this time.

She does actually have quite a few symptoms of perimenopause and I am sure that's what it is. Also after reassessing she has determined that she is more like seven days late and less concerned.

What this whole experience did teach me, however, is that vasectomies are a lot less effective it seems than my doctor would have me believe. There are a lot of stories out there of people like me and my wife with kids late in the game, 5, 10, and even 20 years after a vasectomy.

Made me wonder if I should get a test regardless of my wife's status.

Thread Information