Thread: panic attack before I see my therapist

panic attack before I see my therapist

I feel extremely anxious and have panic attacks every time I am suppose to see my therapist. I guess it has nothing to do with her, cause I feel comfortable around her, it is just the fact that I must go there. I feel under pressure and I don't wanna go there so much that I am thinking of skipping my sessions this week. I suffer from agoraphobia and even though I feel kind of okay to wander around town (and place where my therapist is), I am absolutly not okay to make plans to see people. I have no idea how am I supposed to get better and get help when I am running away from it. Does anybody have the same experience? How do you deal with it?

Re: panic attack before I see my therapist

I get anxious every time before therapy, and I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way because therapy isn't easy (and isn't supposed to be easy) as difficult, emotional things get discussed during it. I'd try and focus on thinking how therapy is actually meant to help you and is beneficial, something that'll make you healthier in the long run.

Thanks Ana. You always have some good advice at hand. I skipped my therapy anyway. I simply have no energy left this week.

You're welcome. It's fine to skip therapy every once in a while. No harm done. You'll do better next time. Sometimes, you just need a break, just like we all do.
    I'll email next week

You are not alone, I have the exact same thing. It's probably because you do not leave the house that much because of the agoraphobia or you are already feeling constant anxiety, so when you have to see the therapist this can create anticipatory anxiety or even trigger a panic attack. But remember that even if you don't go, what matters most is that you have the right intention to see a therapist to work on your problems, a good therapist would understand. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks guys so much for your replies. I guess, I really am too hard on myself. I am in the process of finding new therapist now. Hopefully, things will get better.

Good luck, and I hope you find someone you connect with well.

Thread Information