Thread: How to distinguish what red blood is in Stool

How to distinguish what red blood is in Stool

Hi All

Its been a while since i last posted and for the last few months i have been doing well. Slowly but surely getting my life better and keeping my anxiety down.

Generally i have only been looking occasionally when I go the toilet and have not been analyzing going on the assumption there would be other problems, i would wipe load of blood, the water would be fool of blood etc. But today after going i just happened to notice a few red chunks in my stool and this has set my anxiety off to no end.

Now logically in my head i had red peppers the night before for Tea and i know these are hard to digest etc but my head keeps telling me it could of been blood. Now my question is would blood in stool be all over the stool?? I worry when i read 'mixed in with stool' on some websites that this is what it would look like a very bright red when touched disintegrates into smaller pieces.

Would anyone who has went through something similar be able to advise what you should look for in terms of blood as its such a vague term to help determine what right and wrong??

Thanks

Re: How to distinguish what red blood is in Stool

I had blood in my stool and it can go from being bright red to black depending on where you’re bleeding from. Mine was mixed into the stool, very fresh and made it a maroonish colour and was also all over the toilet tissue. If you’ve eaten red peppers though, then it’s almost a guarantee that it’s to do with that. When I eat a certain pasta sauce that has peppers in it, it comes out red. Unless your stool is black or the toilet bowl and tissue is covered in it, don’t panic. I bet it’ll stop once the peppers are out.

IM having a issue with this at moment ive had maroon mucus blood on tp before and covering poo but ive also seen red chunks today i did have samosas with pepper in them on sunday and some red wine but my anxiety is doing overtime at minute

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Hi honeynut did you get a reason why you were having this blood x

Quote Originally Posted by Honeynut View Post
    I had blood in my stool and it can go from being bright red to black depending on where you’re bleeding from. Mine was mixed into the stool, very fresh and made it a maroonish colour and was also all over the toilet tissue. If you’ve eaten red peppers though, then it’s almost a guarantee that it’s to do with that. When I eat a certain pasta sauce that has peppers in it, it comes out red. Unless your stool is black or the toilet bowl and tissue is covered in it, don’t panic. I bet it’ll stop once the peppers are out.
    I really appreciate this reply, thanks for taking the time to respond so fast.

Logically it would make sense for my stool to change colour along with blood but it was just a normal shade. Even wiping i should of had blood but i never. My head makes me over think the logic.

Thanks

I had blood years ago from a fissure. It was very very apparently blood, huge red streak down the side of the stool.

I've also had very small chunks of tomato skin which obviously looked very different!

I would imagine if you had anything on your stool that was visible it would be fairly obvious if it was blood or food.

(I've got some bowel troubles at the moment so I'm checking daily - I don't think I've ever had any blood..I'd like to think Id notice it)

Ive had all colours of bloody mucus reddy brown/ maroon/ pink and it shocks and upsets me everytime

Quote Originally Posted by anom View Post
    I had blood years ago from a fissure. It was very very apparently blood, huge red streak down the side of the stool.

I've also had very small chunks of tomato skin which obviously looked very different!

I would imagine if you had anything on your stool that was visible it would be fairly obvious if it was blood or food.

(I've got some bowel troubles at the moment so I'm checking daily - I don't think I've ever had any blood..I'd like to think Id notice it)
    You are correct it most likely is easy to distinguish but with my anxiety i find my mind wants to make it something its not!

Ive had the very fresh red bloody streak from fissures before but the red/piece chunk freaked me out as its 'mixed in with the stool' which some site advise could be a cause for concern if it was blood. I just cant distinguish what it would look like mixed in but the maroon description does make sense if its mixed in with the stool. I generally would not of seen it but the stool was broke in half which made it visible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    IM having a issue with this at moment ive had maroon mucus blood on tp before and covering poo but ive also seen red chunks today i did have samosas with pepper in them on sunday and some red wine but my anxiety is doing overtime at minute

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Hi honeynut did you get a reason why you were having this blood x
    Yes, I suffer from inflammation of the bowel and also have stage 2 hemorrhoids so I have double the amount of problems lol. Thankfully with the right medication the bleeding has completely stopped

Thread Information