Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from brand name to generic and back

Switching from brand name to generic and back

Hey guys. I've been on sertraline for about 14 months now and have had mixed results. It's greatly helped my anxiety but I have had quite a few side effects as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced relapse in side effect symptoms when changing between the brand name Zoloft and generic versions? I started on a generic which I had dreadful side effects from. When my psych told me to get on the brand name (because the generics are mixed with different formulas and all the side effect studies are done on the brand name), my symptoms improved.

Last week I had to buy the generic brand (Eleva) as the pharmacy was sold out of Zoloft. The day I started taking the eleva again I had vomiting and generally feeling awful that afternoon, and since then I started experiencing all the spacey head feelings, tummy problems, anxiety and mood swings again. Just went back on Zoloft a couple of days ago and I'm wondering how long the effects will last, or if they're all in my head?

Re: Switching from brand name to generic and back

I always buy the generic brands because they are cheaper and have never had a problem with them,my Psych told me they are ok and I don't have any side effects I did when I first started taking a cocktail of them.

Interesting post. I was on Zoloft about four of years ago for panic attacks and it worked wonderfully. I was off for a couple of years and am now needing to go back on because out of the blue my anxiety and panic has returned. I don't remember ever feeling this crappy for this long on Zoloft. I am on week three of 100mg of Sertraline and am still feeling like total crap. I had one day where I actually thought the stuff had kicked in, then down hill again. I am also going to talk to my doctor about going back on Zoloft. Did you experience any side effects when you switched from the generic back to Zoloft?

I am currently on 50mg of generic Sertraline and have been for almost a year. The pills I received from my refill in December seemed really mild. Negative thoughts came back and I could feed them which I can’t normally do once the meds kick in. 2 weeks ago I picked up my next refill and I am going through the startup side effects again which is weird. I asked my doc for Zoloft since I am not getting consistency with generic Sertraline. I feel better and almost levelled out on sertraline but hoping for better results minus the side effects when I switch over to Zoloft.

Saw your post and wanted to reply because I'm actually questioning some of the same things you are. Short background is that about 6 or 7 years ago my pharmacy switched my name brand zoloft to sertraline because the generic had become available. I instantly felt the difference. Heavy head, dizziness when I barely moved my head, weird tingling sensations, etc. The side effects passed but now, 7 years later, my psychiatrist upped my dose because the panic attacks and anxiety have been returning and I'm feeling all of those side effects again. When I first started zoloft 14 years ago I never had these side effects. I felt a little more tired, sure, maybe a little woozy the first few weeks, but I actually went panic attack free for about 6 years until they switched me to the generic.

There is something to be said about name brand versus the generic. I spoke to my psychiatrist and she said that the genetics only match the original by about 85 percent, and some of the active ingredients are not the same. The sertraline, which is the main ingredient is the same, but the other stuff is not. She's writing me a preauthorization to have my insurance cover the name brand, so hopefully I can eradicate some of these side effects.

Legally in Canada generics have to be between 80% - 125% of the active ingredient that is in Brand name. I’m sensitive to the meds and 50mg is the right dose for my panic and anxiety. The last 100 refill I got there are 2 different strengths which correlate with stamp shade. With a span of 40mg - 62.5mg of active ingredient its too inconsistent and hoping brand name will fix this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TorchZero View Post
    Legally in Canada generics have to be between 80% - 125% of the active ingredient that is in Brand name. I’m sensitive to the meds and 50mg is the right dose for my panic and anxiety. The last 100 refill I got there are 2 different strengths which correlate with stamp shade. With a span of 40mg - 62.5mg of active ingredient its too inconsistent and hoping brand name will fix this.
    It's going to be even lower than that considering the body won't absorb 100% of the active drug. But that span is really quite broad and it's easy to understand how that could be an issue for someone sensitive.

But what is the purity of the branded? How consistent is that mg level?

I also think the issue with generics is the additional ingredients for those who are sensitive. It's certainly noted that in certain drug groups the generics can be a problem for some people but (as ever with antidepressants ) it's seems to be another "we don't know, guv" issue.

It’s been 3 days on the brand name (Pfizer) Zoloft, just took my third pill and feels like I am going through the initial side effects all over again. Head pressure, nausea, increased anxiety, loose bowl but still solid and dizziness. Get some relief here and there but was more worried about brain zaps which I shouldn’t get and I don't. Big relief yesterday post workout so gonna keep that up. From my symptoms I am guessing that the brand name stuff absorbs better and I am getting a bigger dose. Hopefully this levels out soon, can’t wait for it to kick in so I can be in utter bliss again!!!

I was on Seroxat for 6 years and when I was given generic paroxetine on two occasions I reacted badly. Then I was on Surmontil for many years until it became unavailable and I had to switch to the generic trimipramine. Same thing happened. It was like taking a completely different drug. I know that different bulking agents are used and I suppose I'm sensitive to any change.

Hey touchzero. So you switched back to name brand and you're experiencing the side effects all over again? I am picking up my zoloft name brand tomorrow and am worried. I'm on sertraline but I too have had some weird dizzy feelings on it and my psychiatrist suggested the name brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information