Thread: breathing

breathing

hi guys i was trying to get to sleep last night and i think i was just falling asleep when i suddenly realised i couldnt breathe properly it was a feeling that u get when u hold your breath but only i wasnt.it was really scary.i sat up and it went away.scared to go back to sleep now.is this common in anxiety.does any1 else get this.i felt i had to gasp to let the air out.now even today walking about i feel like im holding my breath but im not.im so tense now.hope u can help.thanks so much marcia

i have to do it for my kids if not for myself marciaxx

Breathing is something that has freaked me out lots of times. I have also taken CBT and learning to get out of breath and how long it takes to get it back. Very common to feel out winded. Most of all remember that breathing is natural and when we try to interfer it will change in pattern. The best thing to do is let your body take care of itself. it was made to breath on its own without us trying to do it.
    Deep breathes right now slowly in for a even count in and out, but slow.

I totally understand and been there.
    It does though get better when you let your body do it on its own.
    A long walk will help, it takes me about 20 minutes to get my breath right and start to feel better. When you start out it scares you a little but after you feel better and your body seems to take back over and you release some of those bads chemicals in our body

Hope you feel better soon.
    TT

TT

marcia are you sure you are not unconciously holding your breath or stalling it if you no what i mean. i just pmd you about my breathing today b4 i read this. did you get the message, it may sound similar. i hate that feeling but i no it is my own fault for i am not breathing at all properly myself and it makes me feel chesty and breathless sort of. does it sound familiar

jackie

I get all sorts of funny breathing feeling when I sleep from not being able to beathe to feeling like you describe as holding my breath.

I used to panic like mad but over time I have come to accept that I haven't died yet so the chances of something awful happening are pretty lime. It still happens but I just roll over and try to ignore it - sleep is too important to me to waste it by worrying

Annie x

hi marcia,
    i have had this many times and i know how scary it can be. i'm always worryiing that i'm not breathing properly, but my cbt guy would always tell me that, while you are alive you will always breathe - it is a natural thing that the body does and it won't just stop doing it for no reason.
    he would always tell me to just not think about it - if you don't think about it then it allows your breathing to get back to normal. if it wakes you up, maybe listen to a bit of music or something to distract yourself and help you get back to sleep. usually works for me.
    henri

Molly i have been where you are and the more we focus on it the worse it gets. Trust me you wont stop breathing at all even if you feel like you are going to you would fall asleep first hun. Just remember there is no reason medically or physically for you to stop breathing.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Hi Marcia

I haven't had this problem when falling asleep but when i can't breathe when i have my anxiety it's usually that you are hyperventalating it my have been what you had. When it happens to me i take slow deep breathes. I know it's hard not to worry but try not to.

linda xx

Cant get any air in
    general anxiety
    Reverse panic
    Feeling Awful Today
    Breathlessness
    Breathing!!
    Everyone please read this!!!!! ( breathing weird )
    Reverse panic
    Strange feeling in one lung
    Breathing problems

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Molly have I already suggested a good book to you called Hyperventilation Syndrome by Dinah Bradley.

It's a really easy read and gets to grips with the whole breathing thing.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi there!

I seriously don't believe you should be worried, even though I know EXACTLY how you feel at the moment!
    [Duh!]Breathing has been at the centre of my anxiety for three years now! I'm constantly worrying/obsessing that it will stop at any minute. I often lie awake at night and end up going to sleep grinding my teeth through the stress of it all! I know its stupid and futitle, but somehow the brain make it feel so VERY REAL although it is so VERY FALSE![Duh!]

[Oops!]However, I have asked my GP repeatedly to check my lungs for any sign of infection/diesease and they tell me my my lungs are as healthy as they can be and I was suffering from no more than hyperventilation! I was rushed to A+E in November by ambulance but the results of both heart and lung tests came back fine, and was told once again it was panic![Oops!]

[:I]Up until christmas of last year I went through a phase of literally throwing my head back and gasping to get enough oxygen every ten seconds or so! It was so embarrassing in public and resembled a nervouse ic of some sort, which I guess it probably was. I made a concertedeffort to stop doing it and only do it on RARE occasions now. It takes alot of discipline to ignore the trigger thoughts though![:I]
    [Oops!]Having said that i have now developed a habitual cough in order to get the 'right ammount' of oxygen into my lungs. I am trying to work on this at the moment![8)]

[8D]As soon as we realise and most importantly believe it is 'just' (and i use the word just lightly) anxiety that causes our obsession with our breathing the sooner we can can shift our focus to something more productive! As a sufferer of this particular obsession however, I realise this is more easier said than done and still struggle day to day with this most uncomfortable aspects of anxiety![8D]

Try calm and steady breathing and simple distraction techniques to alieviate you symptoms! It works for me! Distraction especially! go and wash up or cook something! Even better do the hoovering! Use up that adrenaline! I've also been told by a local helpliner that singing is helpful for breath control, NO MATTER HOW BAD YOUR VOICE IS!

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

Thread Information