PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram side effects?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

lenore
26-03-09, 10:53
I had been doing quite well, no side effects to speak of but in the last couple of days I've been feeling a little rough. Headaches and nausea and a pain in my eye that made my vision a little blurred. Plus, the anxiety has returned somewhat (but I think that's because I haven't even seen another human being in 3 days as my window was broken and I had to wait for someone to fix it-so I suppose I did see one person). Hoping it's temporary, as I've only been on them for 8 days now.

Oh, and edited to say that, like Lex, I could sleep for England at the minute!

karenp
26-03-09, 11:26
Lex, my side effects lasted about 2 weeks and then they eased so hopefullly you should start to feel a bit more with it soon but every one is different. Really hope you do feel better soon though.

suzy-sue
26-03-09, 12:11
Lenore what you are feeling is the side effects of the drug adjusting in your body.You will start to feel better as the dose settles, it took three weeks for me,but everyone is different,and its all worth it in the end.All the best SUE:hugs:

NoPoet
26-03-09, 12:20
Do people find they are able to sleep again when the side effects subside? How long did it take before you got a good night's sleep?

Does exercise help?

suzy-sue
26-03-09, 13:05
It will start to get better once the dose has settled and you start to feel better.You should see an improvement after 6 weeks ,if i can rememberit took a couple of months to start sleeping through without waking at ridiculous times.I still get the odd night when i find it hard to get off ,but usually sleep for about 7hrs.Sometimes i wake up with a jolt,thinking that someone has knocked the door & last week woke twice thinking the dog next door was barking,it had been barking the previous day for 6hours non stop, :mad: so hardly suprising really.As with everything else we all respond differently and hopefully you will sleep better sooner.What a pain it is ! All the best sue:hugs:

Misteeq
29-03-09, 12:37
Hi All.....

Long time no see....Sorry haven't been around for a while but if you've read my posts I seem to be on top of the world with these Citalopram!!!

I started them on 11th Jan this year and it took about 5 weeks or so for me to feel any different. But now I wouldn't be without them!!

I have only one question for anyone that has an answer.....

I've been on these for over 2 months, my sex drive came back after about 6 weeks but the only problem I'm having is that I can't seem to be able to orgasm?
Any ideas as to why?

Answers would be very grateful.

Apart from that I am feeling GREAT!!!

Misteeq

Lion King
29-03-09, 13:17
Hi all,

I'm new to this website, even though I have been joined for a while now. I have been suffering with severe anxiety for the last year to the point where I have been unable to function at work. i am currently off work with stress and anxiety, the doctor initially put me on trazadone, which was dreadful, it made me glum and depressed. I went back to the doctors and he put mo on citalopram, I took 10mg for the first 10 days, and now on 20mg a day foe the last four days. The side effects from citalopram, were quite severe, I had shaking, twitching and I have difficuly keeping my head still, but mentally the anxiety has been reduced and I can function with less problems in social situations.

Does anyone else suffer with the shaking and twitching, and does it settle down? I have started doing mindful meditation to help with controlling the shakiness and twitching as I am putting this down to tension caused by stress, Has meditation worked for anybody else?

Thanks

Lion King

NoPoet
29-03-09, 15:10
Lion King, I've been on it for 10 days now. The shakiness has hardly affected me today and I managed to get a decent night's sleep last night for the first time in 2 weeks. I still get other side effects but I think they might be reducing slightly. It's different for everyone but the average seems to be 2-4 weeks.

karenp
29-03-09, 15:54
I was going to say the same...give the side effects a couple of weeks or so to disappear or die down a lot!
I seem so much better since going up to 40mg though had a bad night last night because my husband couldn't sleep and he kept waking me up, so I felt really low first thing and quite shakey but I am perfect now!

Budgie
29-03-09, 22:19
I'm finding that I'm still having issues with jaw clenching. Although, I csan't be sure if its citalopram of whether its become a habit with me! :blush: My jaw is feeling a bit sore today, I know last night I was clenching a lot. I've got a general appointment with my dentist coming up soon and I'm going to ask him about it, and see if he's got some tips :yesyes:

NoPoet
30-03-09, 00:04
Budgie, I've been clenching my jaw all week, but I think it's easing off now. I've got to admit that it actually did help ease my anxiety a little bit. Like all the anxiety was concentrated in my jaw and I was actually able to do something about it.

lenore
01-04-09, 20:12
Erm..has anyone noticed that since they've been on citalopram they've developed slightly smelly armpits! LOL. Gross, I know, but is that a side effect of it? If so, how long til it stops?

Edited to say, I thought it was just the weather picking up but I'm also just a bit sweaty all over since starting Citalopram!

suzy-sue
01-04-09, 20:30
Lenore,i was very sweaty on these for abt 2months,it didnt smell like normal either,I have got a sensitive nose and hardly sweat at all normally.But i spent most of my days in and out of the bathroom.the deodorant company made a small fortune out of it all .Thankfully it went back to normal. Sue

NoPoet
01-04-09, 21:11
I've become extremely thirsty today. Since my appetite and thirst came back, my thirst seems to be sharper than usual. Or it could be cos I spent all day walking out in the sun ;)

lenore
01-04-09, 21:45
Lenore,i was very sweaty on these for abt 2months,it didnt smell like normal either,I have got a sensitive nose and hardly sweat at all normally.But i spent most of my days in and out of the bathroom.the deodorant company made a small fortune out of it all .Thankfully it went back to normal. Sue

Phew! Thanks for the info! Think I'll invest in some deoderant wipes til it passes so I'm not paranoid about it when I'm out. :blush:

Flying freely
02-04-09, 20:52
Hi Jazoole,

Thanks so much for letting me know about how you're feeling. Hope you've been feeling better lately. I'm also on the meds for a month and thought I was getting better but have had a couple of tough days again. Was thinking that I'm not trying hard enough so it's reassuring to see that it's not my fault.

Good luck and stick to it.
Hugs n kisses

bubbym
05-04-09, 23:18
everyone who is starting this med, hang in there, i first took it, i felt awful, but now have been on it for 3 months, and nothing seems to bother me, i was depressed, and suffered severe panic attacks, but its all vanished, im super confident, and very much in control of my life, the only downside being, i dont worry about a thing, as in my bills havent been paid and i dont care, but god my life is better. these truly are wonder pills, im astonished at how good they are.

Lion King
06-04-09, 11:38
Hi Bub,

I'm glad you posted this thread, I was starting to get a bit disheartened with the citalopram as I had bad anxiety yesterday, I had to take a couple of Kalms to get through our seaside trip without the anxiety hindering the day, I have now been on citalopram (20mg) for 3 weeks now, and I have been t-total and caffeine free for the last seven weeks, but I had a drink on Saturday night (not heavy!) and my anxiety was terrible the following day. I have not felt brilliant on citalopram and the anxiety is only slightly getting better, the side effects took quite a bit of time to settle down.

Can you shed some light on when you started to feel better? And are you able to drink without consequences of anxiety (not that I'm an alcoholic at all)?

PoppyC
06-04-09, 11:50
Hi Bubby :)
I found your post really inspiring as I am about to give up on citalopram due to side effects - anxiety has totally gone (apart from today!) - but has been replaced with just as bad other things - moodiness, tearfulness amongst other effects. I started off feeling great on them, but the past few days have been terrible.
I have been on citalopram now for about a month or so I think. I woke today with the worst anxiety I have had in ages. It seems every day there is a new side effect. I didnt even feel as bad as I do today before I started the tablets! so I cant see what the point is now. I know its early days and thats why I am trying to persevere. I want to see some results though! Patience was never my strong point! lol I dont want to up the dose as I know the side effects will get worse - others have told me this. I just cant see the point in this. I find it so confusing.
Could I ask how long it was before you really started to feel fully better? I know you said you have been on the tablets for 3 months, but at what point was it that they kicked in with no horrid side effects.
I am really pleased you are feeling so much better! :yesyes:
Lion King - I dont touch alcohol now as I found it makes my anxiety so much worse the following day. A lot of anxiety sufferers experience the same I have read.

karenp
06-04-09, 12:46
Poppy I have been on citalopram since december and though I don't have panic attacks now (thankfully) I still get days where I feel anxious or feel evver so low. Then I get like a fortnight of feeling great. I know when I was on it last time, my bad days got less and less and less as I stuck with it until I felt completely normal every single day (0:

PoppyC
06-04-09, 17:02
Hi Karen
Thanks for the reassuring post. What doseage are you taking? Its nice to hear that you are feeling lots better. :yesyes:
I will stick with the citalopram and just get through this horrible patch I am going through. I am so emotional lol :wacko:

lucylocket
06-04-09, 17:48
hi poppy, i have only took 20mg for the last 3 days and still feel spacey and today i have a headache, yesterday the spaciness went at about 7pm i just wish i didn't feel spacey all the time that is why i am reducing my meds oh to be normal again!!!!!!!! how are you what dose are you taking now.....lucy x

NIKKI B
07-04-09, 13:01
:hugs: hi i have been on citolpram for about ten weeks first few were a little rough light headed a little anxious now and then but returned from agirly weekend in blackpool felt completly normal and a great time so my advice hang in there and stick them out they do work eventually and the doc did say they take a while to kick in

Hereford Al
07-04-09, 13:07
I'm on day 15 of 20mg now and I have a few issues at the moment....

- Lack of sleep is killing me. Have not had a decent night of uninterrupted sleep since I started the tablets. For some reason I keep waking up in the night feeling like I need to pee, but it takes ages for anything to come out and even then it is only a little amount.
- Lack of appetite. Not been able to eat anything properly since starting on the Citalopram. Every time I try to eat something it either feels like it will come straight back up or it goes right through to (and out of) the other end, if you know what I mean. I often feel the bowel urge at random moments too. The other day I was walking home from the shop and had to go really really fast because I could feel it coming on.
- Palpitations/Breathless after small amounts of exercise. I take the dog out for a walk and I can feel my heart juddering and going really fast then really slow and I feel myself starting to hyperventilate a little. I then feel dizzy and that makes the cycle even worse.

On the plus side, I don't seem so utterly miserable as I was and I know that the symptoms I describe above is just the tablets trying to work (I hope!) so my anxiety is not too bad.

But with the nausea/tiredness etc I don't feel capable of doing much at the moment. I'd give anything for 2-3 nights of blissful sleep without waking up every few hours. I'd also give anything to feel confident that my stomach could handle a steak and ale pie, large portion of chips and lots of veg!

How long does the nausea/insomnia usually last with these tablets?

Hope everyone else is OK :-)
Al

NIKKI B
07-04-09, 13:11
hi lion king i have been on them about ten weeks now i can remember waking every night shaking and a bit twitchy think its your body adjusting to them i feel so much better now almost back to old self apart from odd anxious moment which normally is just amoment so thnk goodness for them:)

jmbtjb
09-04-09, 20:36
jmbtjb
Have now been on citalopram for 3 weeks. Terrible side effects, increased anxiety, can't relax off to sleep, wake with adrenaline rush. Getting between 2 - 4 hours sleep a night. Dr advised valium 2mg at night but am trying not to take any during the day. Terrified of being on own all day & going to local shops is a nightmare with more incresed anxiety. Will these subside or is it me being afrad of taking the tablet. I am on 10mgs. Dr does not want to increase & I am too scared to increase as well.

NoPoet
09-04-09, 21:25
Welcome to No More Panic Jmbtjb. (How do you pronounce that? ;))

My sleeping pattern began to return to normal around day 10, but I was so exhausted from lack of sleep by that point that it would not have been physically possible to carry on waking early!!

Taking your pills in the morning or afternoon could make a big difference. My sleeping pattern returned to almost completely normal when I changed to a morning dose. Also you won't spend all day worrying about it if you take the tablet first thing.

Nausea, insomnia and lack of appetite are all side effects of citalopram and they are also symptoms of depression and anxiety. I know how scary they are -- be reassured they should start to fade once your body tolerates the medicine and your side effects die away. Your side effects will fade. The horrible night-time anxiety will not affect you after a while.

If you are anxious when alone you must make sure to spend time with other people. Honestly, it makes such a difference. Once the citalopram starts to take effect you won't find it quite so difficult to be alone -- start getting gradually used to being on your own as you start feeling better. It's a gradual process and hard work but it's worth it.

rach27
10-04-09, 13:10
hey
im 16 and im on citlopram 10mg. Ive been on them for nearly a month and they are making me quite ill. So i have cut my tablet in half so i only have 5mg is this a good idea??

Cat80
10-04-09, 13:28
Rach I wouldn't recommend cutting the tablets in half without the say so of your Dr. I was on 20mg of Citalopram for 10 weeks but they made me feel incredibly sick and tired all the time. My Dr said if the side effects hadn't gone by then they wouldn't do and the tablet just didn't suit me. Rach have you tried taking your tablet with your evening meal? Sometimes it helps to take the tablets before bed then you won't feel as bad in the daytime. I'd give them another 2 weeks and if you are still feeling ill I'd go back to your dr and let them know, it just may be Citalopram isn't right for you like it wasn't for me. Definately stop cutting your tablets in half though, not a good idea unless your Dr has told you to do so.

jmbtjb
10-04-09, 16:56
Thanks, couldn't get a proper name . Jen will do. Trying really hard but its still hell, waking in a panic after only 2 hrs sleep. Head really down today, feel as though I'm looking in on everything. Seems I'm either panicky or head down. Really exhausted. I just hope these will work. Until 4 months ago was really out going with good job. Then diagnosed out of the blue with cardiac problem which it now under control. Being a nurse dosen't help! I need my life back as have a 13 yr old son.

jmbtjb
10-04-09, 16:59
Jen again. Forgot to mention I take citalopram at around 9.30 in morning.

lenore
12-04-09, 00:02
I've been having trouble sleeping on citalopram lately. Usually I can sleep for England, but I'm finding it hard to unwind. I hope it passes as sleep has been one of my coping mechanisms for a long time. I've been getting really bad pains in my eyes when I don't get lots of sleep, but I just can't get off to sleep very well and when I do I seem to wake up a lot in the night.

Scrubbs
13-04-09, 08:20
Hi, I've been on Citalopram 20mg for 6 months now. I came on this thread when I first started and found it really useful. So thought I'd pop back and give a bit of long term experience and encouragement if I can.
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not sure I feel too different - however EVERYBODY tells me how well I am now looking and how different I am. My wife says she has back the man she married. I'm more "steady" about everything. I've even taken her out to restaurants etc on a whim. Couldn't have thought of doing that 6 months ago. I will say though that I have taken other steps to improve my condition.
Citalopram is ok but it isn't a miracle drug on it's own. I've made some lifestyle changes to "help" the drug be more effective.
I don't drink alcohol (it is a depressant anyway) but I've found a taste for non alcoholic beers. Drink enough and it tastes the same!
I have reduced the amount of tea and coffee I drink - only drinking de-caf.
No more palpitations and I'm sleeping better.
I couldn't kick the fags but I don't smoke in the house and I don't smoke an hour before I go to bed. Again this helps me sleep better.
I have found I have a pre-existing condition - my blood pressure drops suddenly and unexpectedly. I've learned to recognise the warning signs and the simple fix was to eat more salt with my food (flying in the face of common trends) and I carry a bottle of isotonic fruit drink with me everywhere I go. The additional fluids help regulate the body better, including bowel movements.
So, that's it. The citalopram is working for me. I have the occasional bad day, but it really is occasional.
I hope someone will find this of some help.

karenp
13-04-09, 11:12
Glad to hear all that Scrubbs (0:
I've been on Citalopram since December but this last week have felt totally normal again, even upon waking where I was still feeling pretty rotten. I had a couple of low/anxious days last week but I really think the medicne is working for me too now. I am on 40mg though as 20 wasn't helping this time.
At the start of the year I never thought I was going to feel normal again, despite getting better on citalopram before but just stick with it every one who's going through the early stages.

NoPoet
13-04-09, 12:14
I know for a fact I would be worse off without citalopram. I feel like it has given me the lift I need to concentrate on getting well again.

I don't feel like a "new" person. It's better than that: I am very glad to say that I feel like my good old self again :D

Hereford Al
13-04-09, 13:50
I've been fine the last 5 days or so. Side effects (nausea, yawning, jawache, etc) have mostly gone and my appetite, that I lost for the first 2 weeks on the medication, has come back with a vengeance!

I was complaining at first about not sleeping properly, but now I seem to be sleeping too much! Maybe that is just my body's way of recovering from the 10 days that I barely slept and it should hopefully level out soon. 11 hours sleep for each of the past 5 days is too much :-)

Going to pop into town on the bus tomorrow because I really fancy getting myself a nice fresh Lemon Meringue or something from my favourite bakery cakery, plus a few CD's and stuff too. This afternoon I shall be sitting in the garden (if the sun keeps on shining) and listen on the radio to the mighty Hereford United lose at Tranmere and be officially relegated. Can't win 'em all, I guess! Always next season....

Hope everyone else is OK
Al
:-)

bethan
15-04-09, 11:56
hello all,
im new to all this, forums and anti depressants.
ive got a health anxiety,am stressed,anxious and maybe depressed too,i worry about EVERYTHING! i like to have a few wines of a night to unwind - i know this isnt healthy so after a visit to dr with lots of crying and ranting he has prescribed me 20mg citalopram to help me to relax.
ive read nearly all the posts on here,i must admit am looking forward to the side effects of the pills like a hole in the head - but the positIve posts on here have convinced me this is the way to do it (at least i can try). took my first yesterday,felt sick,didnt realise that was a side effect till i read so today so if thats as bad as it gets - happy days.

nicsnan
16-04-09, 19:57
Hello all im new to this site. After reading all the reveiws a few weeks ago ive got to say I didnt start my cit but after a few weeks like the last i decided to bite the bullet and start today. Well ive got to say at the minute i do feel as if my heart is beating harder with every beat and my tummy is really sore. But no more so than when im having a very bad day. The docter is starting me on 10mg and wants to keep me on that dose, ive noticed a lot of peoples doses get increased but he said so i can still enjoy my friday night when i like to have quite a few drinks and if i dont want to gain any weight all thinks that shouldnt matter when you feel like this really do matter to me at the minute, he has decided this is the dose for me????? hope he is right. The think is do the side affects get worse over the first couple of weeks or is this the worst i can expect. I really am still quite worried about this.

Lou Lou 14
17-04-09, 07:34
I was taken off them after 2 weeks and am trying prozac again. Had to take this week off work sick as couldn't stop shaking, vomiting, mouth dry, dizzyness, heart racing, night sweats..still feeling rough this morning. Couldn't cope with feeling so ill and working. Didn't feel safe to drive and have 2 young children to take to school and nursery. Lets hope the Prozac works this time.

always-ill
17-04-09, 10:47
Hi All,
I was prescribed Citalopram by my gp last August but have been avoiding taking them due to the initial side effects. I know I need to start taking these as despite me attempts to battle it naturally I am still suffering and it is taking over my life and effecting my family. I have young children that I have to look after, take to school etc.. and also work part time. My job is very important, (I rely on the income and also the enjoyment factor), and cant afford to take time off as they could move me on to a really mundane job at the drop of a hat! Has everyone been able to continue going to work, do the school run, tend to the housework etc.. whilst going through the side effects? This is what is really worrying me as I have such a lot of responsibility and no support at all. Id just like to know how everyone has coped through the initial bad symptoms.
Thanks.

karenp
17-04-09, 14:14
I have a 5 year old and had to take him to school and back during my INITIAL side effects but though I won't deny it wasn't hard at times, (I felt so shakey AND nervous) I still did it! I also took my dog for a walk every morning when I got in too as I find walking really helps my depression/anxiety and the distraction of chatting to people at school really helped too.
I am now 98% completley back to normal on my medication...I still have a bad day or 2 each month when I'm hormonal but thankfully Citalopram has worked a treat for me for the third time. The early days were horrible but I am so glad I decided to go back on it as my little boy has his Mummy well and truly back now!

karenp
17-04-09, 14:15
PS.you might not even get side effects too remember...all the very best of luck to you and I hope you feel so much better soon.

Hereford Al
17-04-09, 20:40
Most of my initial side effects are gone now. I still feel a little stomach ache at times and am really struggling to actually get up out of bed in the mornings - Generally sleeping 10+ hours a night with the odd waking up here and there for a few minutes. The worst side effect that still remains in the pretty bad sweating during the night - Some mornings I've woken up with the night shirts I wear stuck to my back!

Anxiety is OK at the moment and the racing/obsessive thoughts seem to have calmed down quite a bit. Still get some physical symptoms of anxiety, but I've only been on the Citalopram for just over 3 weeks so there is still more time needed I think.

bethan
17-04-09, 22:42
Hello all,

Always ill - the side effects leaflet is a bit scary (as it is on the side effects leaflet of any medicine).
It is only a guide and you may not experience any side effects at all, I was very nervous about taking it, (I am reluctant to even take paracetamol as a rule) but fingers crossed and touch wood Ive been taking mine since tuesday and dont feel too bad, I take mine at lunch time,that way I know if its going to make me spaced out,sick or sleepy I have only a few hours left in work before I can eat or sleep. I would say the way it makes me feel is like the early stages of pregnancy, you know the first 3mths when you feel sick and tired,just before you start to bloom! Thats how it is for me anyway, hope this is of some help to you.
xx

moonfairy
17-04-09, 23:23
Hi Ive been on Citalopram 10mg for about 4-6months.Im 39 years old and my periods are usually regular,Ive not had my last 2 periods just a slight pain around my due time which I usually get just before I start.Could this be a side effect?has anyone else had this?Also Im currently having other health problems which Im stressing and obsessing about,could this have caused lack of periods?Theres no chance I could be pregnant,has anyone else had period problems on citalopram?
Thanks

kellyp
19-04-09, 08:20
Hi All,

Day 15 for me on 10mg and still feeling more positive than I have in ages! Tiredness is still a bit of an issue, but I can cope. I did, in the beginning, take Kalms at night, but it took me an hour to clear my head in the morning. Stopped Kalms and wake up a lot quicker. Sleeping fine.

The 'sedative' effect is wearing off, though, and a little bit of me wants it back...

Not sure about periods, Moonfairy, but look forward to the responses. The idea of missing one or two doesn't worry me at all, LOL.

Kx

Thomson7
20-04-09, 15:55
Hello,

Ive just recently been experiencing panic attacks, anxiety etc etc. Today i had an appointment with the doctor, i told him how i feel all the time and that i was getting panic attacks. He diagnosed me as being depressed, and has referred me to a counselor.

Ive been prescibed Citalopram, and only just started on them. I took one this morning and started feeling sick, body temperature kept changing, and felt very anxious. From reading on here, this seems to be quite common for the first few weeks.

Im also feeling tired, anyone got any advice for someone whos just stepped into this?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, i was started on 20mg's

cwoz82
21-04-09, 19:46
I have been on citalopram for 6 months now, and was doing fine until two months ago my blood pressure plummeted whilst i was on 30mg a day so my doctor dropped me to 20/30mg alternate days, since this time my anxiety has come back with a vengeance, its building a little more each day. I don't know if it's the reduction in meds, or i have read that Low blood pressure can cause anxiety but i'm also going on holiday in two weeks and am looking forward to it immensely, i wonder if it is the excitement that could be causing it. Has anyone else had anything imilar to this?? I'm really worried cos i don't think my doc will put my dose back up and none of counselling coping strategies seem to work...breathing exercsies are hard when i have had a cold hanging around me the past couple of weeks!

gxyslcuq
02-05-09, 07:49
Hello everyone. Great forum with loads of info. I've now been on Citalopram for 29 days. The side effects are a bit icky but just try and get through it. My side effects were, fuzzy/dizzy, aches(jaw, joints, head) but they all went very quickly.

Wish you all the best and will keep you posted.

;)

kellyp
02-05-09, 10:54
Hello everyone. Great forum with loads of info. I've now been on Citalopram for 29 days. The side effects are a bit icky but just try and get through it. My side effects were, fuzzy/dizzy, aches(jaw, joints, head) but they all went very quickly.

Wish you all the best and will keep you posted.

;)

Day 29 for me, too! 10mg.

I feel so much better about everything. Side effects were minimal, I've still got that extreme yawning, LOL, but I feel like the old me - the real me - is back.

I gained about 3kg, so have had to watch what I eat. Running a 10k race on Monday, so that'll help!

Glad you're doing ok, too.

Kx

NoPoet
02-05-09, 15:33
Hi, I feel that I suffered increased anxiety, sleeplessness and horrific panic attacks when I first started on citalopram. I later developed headaches and other less scary side effects.

I have just started week 7 on citalopram and nearly all of the side effects are now gone. The only one I consistently get is a slightly tired, burned-out feeling in my head, the infamous "hangover" effect, but it is relatively mild. I'd rather feel slightly tired than depressed and anxious!

lenore
05-05-09, 06:48
The jaw clenching has finally stopped, yippee! That was getting to be incredibly painful. At the moment (been on citalopram 7 weeks tomorrow) I'm still having the 'hangovers' PsychoPoet mentioned-headaches that feel like there's a pressure pushing on the top of my head and occasional nausea. I also have had a few problems with waking up in the night, drinking and eating more than usual and being a bit fuzzy-headed (all the things I would usually get after drinking!).

I've noticed that I will get feelings of overwhelming sadness, guilt or hopelessness during the day but they pass very quickly-it's rather odd. I suppose that I was on Fluoxetine for a very long time so my brain needs to get used to this new form of med and the psychaitrist did warn me that it could take up to 3 months to fully settle down.

Sorry if that all sounded rather negative-despite those side effects I certainly don't feel any worse emotionally than I did before I started Citalopram so I'm trying to remain optimistic that it will continue and will get even better. I think that the type of therapy I'm having and the time it takes medications to work can sometimes seem like a slow process and so progress is hard to notice in myself as it doesn't come in great leaps but in little everyday steps. I don't see my best friend as often as I would like, but whenever I do she tells me what a change she sees in me which pushes me on!

gxyslcuq
05-05-09, 13:36
I do get the hangover headache and my GP said I could have some Aspirin(as it works for me) but if I get any bleeding then I should stop. So far so good.

I actually have some shakey hands and as said above I do feel sad but it passes very quickly. I'm on Citalopram for anxiety(that has left me house bound) and I can say hand on heart its helping me.

This drug can work and I've not had the full effects yet but try and stick with it as it really can help you.

Oh nearly forgot, I pee a lot with it but that is something I can live with :)

karenp
06-05-09, 13:32
I've been on Citalopram since December now and feel really great. I do have the odd bad day but just a couple usually when I am hormonal, which I suffered badly with before! I would say I am def back to my old self though and have no side effects at all now (0:

richardb
12-05-09, 12:44
Hi,

I'm new on this site and have found it really helpful.

I was prescribed 20mg per day of citalopram and was a bit nervous of starting to take them after reading about some of the side effects on here. The main point is though that I want to get better and I have to trust in my GP to give me the right help that I need.

I took my first pill yesterday and the second this morning. So far the main side effect that I have noticed is increased levels of anxiety - nothing I couldn't handle so far but I am wary of going into a difficult situation until this wears off.

I am going to see this through as I can't carry on the way I am. I will let you know how it goes!!

Thanks to everyone for all of their threads on here - they really helped me.

:)

Tori Frances
12-05-09, 16:49
How long did it take for yoyu guys to notice Citalopram working? What did you notice first? I have been on for 7 weeks almost and still V bad. Dr said to wait another couple of weeks. Anyone had experiences of it taking this long for them?

suzy-sue
12-05-09, 16:54
Its taken 8 weeks for me to stabilize on each dose increase Tori. How long have you been on the last increase? Sue:hugs:

PoppyC
12-05-09, 20:36
Hi Sue :)
Did you notice any difference going from 10mg to 20mg? I have been on Citalopram for about 8 weeks. I have upped my dose and feel terrible and trying to put up with it but how long did you feel side effects for when you upped from 10 to 20 - was it still 8 weeks???

suzy-sue
12-05-09, 21:28
Hi Poppy,I did notice a difference from going from10-20mg,the side effects however werent any where as bad as the original dose.I took an extra half a tab for 1week and felt ok so I upped by another half making that 20mg,my depression lifted a lot after 3weeks .I felt slightly more anxious and tired and also had headaches.Gradually the anxiety started to lift earlier in the day until i started to feel a lot less anxious by early lunchtime. (abt six weeks) over the next two weeks I seemed to take a step back .So after 8weeks on 20 I increased to 30.Im now on 35mg and find it to be my theraputic dose( the dose that works for me) 40mg made me like a zombie,so went down to 35mg. Iwas told by my sister inlaw and also my DR , that higher doses are needed for anxiety,and from what i have experienced ,for me and the level of anxiety I had seems to be true. Usually my anxiety is only present when i get a rush in the morning when i wake, But i have had to do lots of self help as well and am still overcoming things one step at a time.I hope you feel better soon ,the cit seemed to be working for you,so it must be a combination of events and the increase that have made you feel so bad.Dont give up,you will get there, Its so hard at times I know ! but it will be worth it in the end. Take care Sue

PoppyC
12-05-09, 21:37
Hi Sue :)
Thanks for reassuring me. It has helped me. I need to keep reading reassuring posts! lol I was doing well but like you said it must be a combination of the increase and recent events.
I will hang on in there and your post has given me further inspiration to continue.
I am so glad you are feeling much better. :D

suzy-sue
12-05-09, 22:49
Thanks Poppy,Hope things get better for you soon,stay strong.hugs Sue:hugs:

cheryl72
18-05-09, 21:01
Hi everyone

I was prescribed citalopram last week, I found this website while trying to find out a little about it. I have read almost all the posts on here and have found them to be very helpful. After reading about the side effects I was really nervous about starting them. I have been prescribed 10mg for anxiety. The physical symptoms i was gettting with my anxiety were taking over my life, the dizziness, light headedness, the tight chest, palpitations etc.

After reading everyone's comments, and living with some of the mentioned side effects for the past 3 months I thought I would take the plunge.

I'm on my fourth day today, no side effects for the first 2 days, yawning the 3rd day, and today the yawnings back and a slight headache. So not much to complain about.

Good luck to all, I hope all is well with everyone xx

Cheryl

clarex
19-05-09, 04:24
I was prescribed this in october 2008. I took them for 28 days and went to the doctor saying I was having TERRIBLE side effects and I couldnt stop shaking on them,& my sex life was becoming affected. He said what everyone else is saying.. stick it out because it will be worth it, - i didnt.

Since, Ive been having a lot of things going on in my life and took them for the first time again today. Around half an hour later I felt like I was hit with the worst hangover/sea sickness Ive ever felt in my life. I forgot how bad they were. I was so hungry but could not physically eat or even drink! I had to curl up in a ball and close my eyes to stop the room from spinning.

I wasnt aware I could go down to 10mg (Im on 20) Im seeing the doctor on Friday so will perhaps suggest this.

Leaflet suggests you take morning or evening, does anyone take before bed? I feel like this may stop the dizziness.

emma321
19-05-09, 12:33
I was prescribed citalopram 12 days ago and after 10 horrific days I feel like I'm coming out of the other side of it! I'll say to anyone taking this drug, please stick with it as it is working for me and I never thought I was going to feel "normal" again. Everytime you have a side effect just remind yourself it's just the drug doing its job and nothing bad will happen to you. I'm hoping that every day just keeps getting better and better now. I'm being positive for the first time in a long time.
I'm on 20mg by the way
xx

Angel with an A
20-05-09, 13:34
Hi everyone,

I am new and have been reading everyones comments for a few days. I have found them very helpful and until i found this site i felt like the only person in the world who has these horrible panic attacks.

I have been suffering since January with the panic, just happened one day and has got increasingly worse over the months until it got to the point where i couldnt fill my car up with fuel or go into the supermarket. I felt like my whole life had been taken over by some demon!

After several ecg's, a trip to A&E and some beta blockers, i broke down in tears at the doctors and am now on day 12 of Citalopram 20mg.
At the moment, panic wise, although not to good until about 10am on any given morning, i seem to be having 2 good days and 1 bad which is a huge improvement for me.

Apart from feeling spaced out over the first couple of days, my only side effects have been nausea and headaches.
I wanted to offer a tip that has cured my nausea completely from the moment i started doing it on day 4 :
I take my tablet in the morning and have never been a breakfast girl, but i have found that if you make yourself 2 slices of toast, eat one slice, take the tablet with water, then eat the other slice, it kind of sandwiches the tablet in your stomach and stops the nausea feeling completely!
It really worked for me and knowing how awful the nausea can be, i hope it can help some of you who are suffering!

Take care,

A XX

jen5218
20-05-09, 19:22
Hiya eveyone,

I have been on Citalopram since 4th jan...started on 10mg and then 2 wks later went up to 20mg. At first i noticed my anxiety definitely was subdued and most of all my mood was sooo much better - this has been a god send-as an anti-dep medication they are great but i was actually given them for dreadful daily panis disorder which could go on for hours on end...immediately 20mg affected my slepping - wide awake at night time and broken sleep...this is still the case now...i would say around around mid march i was STILL getting horrible anxiety attacks but - something was different about them now i take these pills- went on a long time and more o general highly agitaed state - ive woken in the night in this state..at times its been unbearable...doctor decided to up it 30mg at beg April - again the first week or so it seemed alot better THEN this agitation which occures mostly at night has been worse, feel im back to sqaure 1 now...i also feel very gittery on them and at times it like being on a mild speed pill - i seem to get OVER excited at times its weird...doctor said it would have a slightly sedative affect?? er wheres that then?!....ok so been on them 4 mths now and ok i feel 'chirpier' but i take co-codamol just t help me sleep - im dessssperate for sleep n t feel a little calmer - any similar expereinces be most helpful...i thought the side effects would have gone by now??
Thanks people :)

clarex
21-05-09, 15:18
Yeah Im the same, I took 20mg back in october 2008 for a month and stopped because of the terrible side effects and the fact that I was going to bed at 5/6am.. getting up at 8 or 9am then doing the same again the next night but I wasnt feeling tired!
The doctor gave me sleeping pills alongside citalopram!! and I was advised to take one a night, and they were useless, so I took 2 a night and still nothing.!

So Im back on citalopram for a week now and Im wide awake all night long! lol. Going to doctor tomorrow so will ask about it and post back if Im given any good advice or medication!

Desprate Dan
21-05-09, 16:50
I really am glad i looked up this forum, i have read the post on Citalopram and its side effects and i have took some comfort that i am not the only person in the world who has been going through some side effects from these tablets..
I first started taking citalopram about 2 months ago 10mg at first then as my symptoms didn't improve so the doc put me on 20 mg after 2 months taking these tablets and finally i think they are just starting to work..
I was taking the tablets for Anxiety (Panic Attacks) and Depression after recent traumatic incedents in my life.
The doctor said that these tablets take time work but stick with them, the side effects from the tablets were the same as the symptoms i went to the doctors with in the first place, nausea, increased anxiety, trembling, loss of appetite, disturbed sleep, tiredness, so i thought the tablets were not haveing any effect only in the last few days have i started to feel alive again and my appetite has came back and the trembling and panic attacks have also gone but i do still occasionally feel abit edgy from time to time and i suffer nausea on a morning after i have taken the tablets until i have had some breakfast then it seems to dispearse, what is the procedure for coming off these tablets as i am frieghtend that now i am starting to feel better in myself my doctor might stop them and i would hate to go back to the bad place i was before especially as it took me so long to get to the point of just about feeling normal again, i dont think i could face having to do it all again!!

Cheers

deb-22
21-05-09, 19:05
hello !
I am new !
I was prescribed Citalopram, after 5wks i had to come off it, the side effects were too much to bare ! My anxiety was worse than ever, constantly thinking i was going to die...the Dr then prescribed me Seroxat, OH MY it was horrendous i felt awful, nausea, sick, heacaches, chest pain, you name it i had it, so currently cold turkey but having some awful withdraw after only being on meds for about 8wks in total...

Jo
im new too awfull side effects i just cannot tolerate as a single mom with a small son thought i was going to die started taking flupenthixol now I think councelling helps with anxiety never taking citalopram again .

Oddfish
22-05-09, 07:47
Well, after 4 months on 20mg I've just started to come off them and I've reduced my dose to 10mg for a week so far. I had side effects for about 6 weeks when I first started taking these tablets but then I was absolutely fine. Now the side effects are back! It's not as bad as when I started as I'm gradually lowering the dose, but the yawning every 5 seconds, the loss of memory and inability to concentrate and the loss of appetite are there. Crucially though, I am like a new person. From feeling suicidal over Christmas my life has started to move on. I'm of the mind where I don't know whether the citalopram helped me or not, all I can say is that over the months I've felt a lot better and in control so that I could make some big decisions and help to turn things around, instead being paralysed with the blackness. I never thought things would get to this point. I'd like to give a shout to fellow sufferers and say that although you might think everything is hopeless, it NEVER is. Things always change eventually so hang in there.

chrisi2009
29-05-09, 13:59
i started taking them yesterday and i have had so far diarrhoea vomitting and nausea.

Angel with an A
02-06-09, 20:57
i started taking them yesterday and i have had so far diarrhoea vomitting and nausea.
Stick with them, it does get better. x

chrisi2009
04-06-09, 10:52
been taking them for 8 days now,10mg a day and still waiting for them to take effect.I seem to not have side effects from then now although i do feel very anxious

FreeSpriritedLiss
04-06-09, 11:03
Hi Suzy,

I know, the side-effects are horrible. I found I was really off my food for a few weeks. You can either wait it out, which takes a few weeks, and I found I normally felt better after eating (even though you have to force yourself which is intself, horrible). Aternatively, you can buy the anti-sickness tablet, Motiluim, from Boots. They took effect after about an hour and I felt lots better. You must tell the parmacist you're taking citalopram, so they can advise you on when to take the tablets.

Hope this helps!

X x:roflmao:

lazymiffy
04-06-09, 11:16
I've been on citalopram for just over 4 months now (mostly 40mg, but started off with 20mg), and I still get memory loss, pretty much every day. I take mine around an hour or two before bed, and memory-wise, I lose a good chunk of that time. Does anyone know anything to combat this?

Thank you.

FreeSpriritedLiss
04-06-09, 11:27
Take the tablet in the morning, after a big breakfast. And, I know you may not feel like it, light to moderate exercise really helps. Try going for a walk, a jog or a swim. Writing down how you feel also helps
X x:roflmao:

bcr
04-06-09, 16:27
I've been on citalopram for 8 months... a couple of months ago I had a very nasty viral infection that lasted about a month and part of the symptoms were severe chest pains and pain whilst trying to breathe. At the time my doctor (who'd prescribed me citalopram) recommended I take paracetamol alternated every couple of hours with Ibuprofen (i.e. 8 paracetamol and 8 ibuprofen a day) which I did for a couple of weeks.

It's only after reading this forum that I've seen the advice on ibuprofen and citalopram and I'm worried I could have caused myself some damage? Advice? How would I know if I had???

H

suzy-sue
04-06-09, 16:52
Taking Ibrufen and aspirin with cit carries a small risk ofi nternal bleeding.If this were to happen you would either be coughing up blood stained mucous or blk stools or passing blood. They tell you not to take it to be on the safe side ,so please dont worry. Sue x

roo2002
06-06-09, 11:09
Hello, first post!
I started using Citalopram (10mg) 6 days ago, have had no negative side effects at all, instead have been smiley, jokey and 'care free'..much like my old 'normal' self!
Had a drink last night, which was really bad idea as woke up feeling a little sick, so wont be drinking for a while now.
Am extremely pleased that ive not experienced any of the negative effects as some others have, but I do agree that everyone is going to react differently so its good to try it, be aware of the possible negative effects and see how it goes.

Nat123
06-06-09, 18:28
Hi everyone, I am new on here! I was prescribed Citalopram on Monday after my doc said I am suffering from post natal depression. So far I don't seem to have had any side effects other than a dry mouth and not sleeping very well (although that is more to do with being anxious about my baby during the night). I have to say I started to feel a little better almost straight away, but think that may be because I had finally had the guts to speak to someone about how I was feeling....reading the threads it seems as though it will not work for the first few weeks, would you guys agree with that? Anyway, just wanted to say hello - it's been really helpful reading this forum, it's so nice to know I'm not being a drama queen and I am not alone. :)

bigmo
07-06-09, 14:39
Hi, me too, I started with them last Monday 1st June 2009.

I had already been given 2 weeks earlier buspar to help with Anxiety however I still felt dreadfull and the doctor asked several questions, (from a form) which no doubt gave a score which deemed me in the give drug's bracket.

I went straight back to work that day, took the first tablet with food at 11am and had a slightly rumbling stomach, however I think it was more reading the leaflet first which goes through all the side effects. Once thing I noticed was it didn't give the statistic's of the side effects, like 1 in 1,000 or 1 in 1,000,000 !! I'm now led to believe the dangerous side effects are very very very small.

I struggled to get any sleep that night and took the next day off. Tuesday night, again, I got very little sleep but managed to go to work on the wednesday. Each night since then I seem to be getting more sleep apart from last might but that was down to my drunk missus coming in a 2:30 am)

I'd defo recommend a hot milk horlix before you go to bed, and I cut my caffeine down to about 3 or 4 cups of tea (no later than 6pm)

Almost a week later I can confirm I do feel a bit better (6 days later), defo not as down as before and actually looking forward to things the following day, rather than feeling I'll struggle to get through the day. The hardest thing I had to deal with was telling my wife I'm taking anti depressants, she seems to think I'm going to go mental, and they should have done a blood test on me first to see if thats a problem. My boss at work has been great and reckoned the same, they should have done a simple blood test to check my stress hormones, serotonin or 5-HT system (quick google search)

I first felt like this after a flight a couple of weeks ago, together with the stress of ill health in the family and impending operations on my daughter. The op went really well, but now my missus is having an op in a months time and I've got an 8 hour flight to my hol's (I'm looking forward to the holiday, just not the flight!)

Alot of the threads here are from newbies who have just started taking citalpram and are looking for advice and seide effect info, I'll try and come back to give more updates in the future, as I've noticed not that many people let us know how they've got on!

Cheers MO

Daisybun
07-06-09, 20:46
Hi
I first went on Citalopram 6 years ago. The first couple of weeks my panic/anxiety got worse. About an hour after I took the tablet I was in the loo, it happened. I came off them then went back on them 3 years ago - same side effects - I can remember thinking 'OMG I remember this feeling' but I knew that it worked for me.

Madd1e
09-06-09, 12:13
I've been on citalopram for 12 months, have reduced my dose gradually, and have been fully off for a few days. I started doing some research tonight to check on citalopram withdrawal, as I've been getting 'brain zaps', as they seem to be called. I'm attempting to ignore them (especially now that I know its just withdrawal!). I took aropax for 2 years about 7 years ago - now that is a nasty SSRI for withdrawal, citalopram has been a breeze for me in comparison, though I did recognise the brain zaps as most likely being withdrawal. For aropax, the equivalent for me was vertigo, major nausea, massive insomnia etc, Im a teacher, so waited for a long holiday to come off, thank goodness.
So, so far things are quite managable.
I've been reading about adrenal fatigue, and strongly suspect this is at the root of my anxiety and depression. I started taking 500mgs or 1000mgs Magnesium with 1000mgs Ester C before going to bed - what a difference this made for me, I'm sleeping much better (unaided by sleeping pills) and feel relaxed rather than tense/grim/anxious when I wake up. I also got a kitten from the spca and also a horse (i used to ride lots when I was young). These fur children have made a big difference too - I feel better equiped to go 'head to head' with the demons rather than dulling the darkness with meds!

suzy-sue
09-06-09, 16:39
Well done glad to hear you are coping well coming off them.Will make a note about the magnesium&ester c for when I eventually come off them.Thanks and good luck Sue x

gemmlyjane
09-06-09, 17:36
hi am just new, my name is gemma. i was prescribed citalopram yesterday and reading the instructions nervously which i think made me worse i took my pill 20mg at 7pm at night. i woke at 2am suddenly feeling sick, the room was spinning, sweating, dizzy and legs were so weak, blurry vision . so panic set inn but i survived, i did not sleep so i think this is why my head and eyes are sore.

i am now so worried incase this happens again, i dont know how i will handle it and the Dr doesnt really seam to care? i do not want to stop incase it helps but i can not seem to stop the anxietty attacks setting in and i am scared that will make the symptoms worse.

does this sound like the normal side effects to uz or am i going crazy?:shrug:

suzy-sue
09-06-09, 17:45
H,i hun! this sounds normal im afraid.Try taking 10mg instead of 20mg for a week and see how you are,I started on 10mg and after a month went up to 20mg ,so this is ok to do.The increased anxiety is just the medication and will go ,when the body gets used to the drug in your system. Take your tab after food ,and drink plenty of water and juice,avoid tea and coffee or get some decaff. This all helps with side effects,Hugs Sue:hugs:

gemmlyjane
09-06-09, 19:27
thanks sue for replying.
i know that the effects of the medication don't actually kick in for 2-4weeks but how long do the severe side effects last for?

i am so glad i found this site on google. scared i was going crazy or dying, but it is gr8 to learn other people are experiencing the same feelings.:flowers:

suzy-sue
09-06-09, 20:08
The first time on this sort of med can be a very frightening experience for some,I does help when you know what you are experiencing isnt because you are going mad, but side effects ,keep telling yourself that..My side effects were bad for 2-3 weeks but the time of day I suffered ,less became longer and longer.It seems like a long time when you feel bad but trying to keep occupied helps.Laying in bed makes you only feel worse.Try to let the thoughts come and go,its not easy ,but the more you fight it ,the worse it gets.You will eventually start to sleep properly and you will be glad you took them. A small price to pay for getting your old self back,everything has a price in life ! .Some have only felt bad for a week .some a fortnight,you never know you may be one of the lucky ones. good luck, you will get lots of support to help you through Take care Sue x

Lex101
10-06-09, 13:07
Hi all, I've only just stumbled upon this site while looking around for extra details on Citalopram. It's been really interesting to read all of your experiences. I started on 20mg last Friday 5th and was ticking off all the side effects within about 30mins! Sweating, dizziness, nausea, trembling etc... That night I couldn't sleep and every tiny little sound woke me up. The following day the effects continued but with a dry mouth, and some very odd mood swings. It was all manageable though and I could tell something was happening....

Cut to today and the only effects I have are jaw ache, fatigue and a difficulty in focusing. I don't seem to feel any different... my memory is shot though, worse than it was before. I'm almost hoping that my mood gets worse so I know the drug is working! At least then I'll have the ride back up to look forward to.

Lex x

chrisi2009
10-06-09, 18:16
i started taking them almost 2 weeks ago,the first day my anxiety was so bad,the second day i had diarrhoea and vomitting but not a lot.Since then my anxiety has got so bad,i feel worser then i did before i started taking them.I cant go out,i feel confined to the sofa under my duvet.Is this normal?

Norfolkbabe1976
10-06-09, 22:19
just joined after a friend gaven me the link.

must say i am shocked at all the side affects people are having.

ive been on these tablets since jan and never had any.

hope all those suffering, soon stop

Lion King
11-06-09, 09:08
You are one of the lucky ones!

Have the meds made a great deal of difference?

gemmlyjane
11-06-09, 11:16
hi i hope everyone is doing ok?

thats me on day3 been taking the pills at night as still having bad side effects, anxiety still alot worse than what it was before i started on these pills and not sleeping great. thought about taking them through the day but dont want to be confined to the house. have been told they will ware away eventually!

a bit worried starting back at work on monday, and do not know how that will go as i am so so tired but think the routine might help me take my mind of some of the effects. not sure how that conversation will go if i fall asleep at desk!!! :wacko:

will keep yous updated

Norfolkbabe1976
11-06-09, 11:44
not a good time to ask if they working, they were til a couple of weeks ago and ive now hit another low.
must say its strange people are taking them at night, as my doctor told me to take them of a morning, so they work and boost me through the day

Anxious-in-Canada
11-06-09, 12:29
Yeah day 3 here (20mg dosage in the morning,) last night I felt good. When I went to bed I couldn't find sleep, had to pop a zopiclone to put me under...(don't want to rely on this though!)
This morning feeling anxious and no appetite again....had force down half a banana and toast... just logging my experience to share.

Anxious-in-Canada
11-06-09, 12:47
i started taking them almost 2 weeks ago,the first day my anxiety was so bad,the second day i had diarrhoea and vomitting but not a lot.Since then my anxiety has got so bad,i feel worser then i did before i started taking them.I cant go out,i feel confined to the sofa under my duvet.Is this normal?

You may want to discuss this with you doctor, mine told me to come see her if things weren't starting to get better after a couple of weeks. Although the full benefit would be closer to the 6-8 week mark of the drug. But side effects should be subsiding by a week or two.

It never hurts to talk to your doctor....

Anxious-in-Canada
12-06-09, 18:56
Day 4 (20mg dose) and I am exhausted, insomnia is hard. Seem a little more anxious tha usual. As far as the side effects go most are gone for now.

I did noticed yesterday that my jaws were killing, is clenching your teeth a side effect, and does it go away?

How long did the insomnia last for you all? I hope it goes away soon as I am a bear when I don't get enough sleep.

gemmlyjane
12-06-09, 19:41
hi i am on day 4 aswell, i can not sleep either and i can not stop yawning! most of my side effects are gone to except for the sleep thing an jaw clenching it so stiff. also my head is very sore but that could be due the previous stated.

hope i feel better so and everyone else.

Anxious-in-Canada
13-06-09, 13:26
Well day 5 (20mg dose), and my clenching of my jaw seems to have subsided. Unfortunately the no appetite and insomnia are still with me...still feel anxious, guess the meds haven't balance yet.

I am feeling exhausted, with no sleep really. To make matters worse my 7 year old comes in our bed every night around 3am which wakes me and then I can't get back to sleep...

Someone mentioned 5HTP as a better alternative to SSRIs, anyone have an opinion on this...

suzy-sue
13-06-09, 13:42
The jaw clenching and insomnia are just a side effect and they do pass.Stick with it it does get better.I remember the insomnia well ,it is physically and emotionally draining.Could you sleep in the spare bedroom (DO YOU HAVE ONE?) for a while until the tabs settle.Your Son is a bit old to be doing that at 7 ,sorry if that sounds rude .Its something I would never encourage as its bad habit to break.Hope you start to feel better soon.Luv Sue:hugs:

Anxious-in-Canada
13-06-09, 14:14
Thanks Suzy-Sue.

No spare room though, my daughter is spooked lately and we suspect it might be her reaction to me being out of sorts.

The insomnia does go away doesn't it?

deb-22
13-06-09, 14:28
I too had awfull side effects with this medication and have decided not to take it anymore I think you have to be very carefull with this med ....surley theres as alternative x

suzy-sue
13-06-09, 14:33
Yes it does .Sorry about your daughter.Children are very sensitive to what going on at times. Youll get your appetite back as well. Take care hugs Sue:hugs:

Anxious-in-Canada
14-06-09, 13:48
Day 6 (20mg dose) seem to be feeling a bit better. Appetite not upto par yet but seems to be doing a little better. The hardest side effect for me still remains: insomnia.

I don't know ow much longer I can continue to atke drugs to make me sleep, even with these (zopiclone) I don't really have a long sleep...

And having to cut out my coffee in the morning makes things hard as well.

I am starting the "progressive deep muscle relaxation" program today with deep breathing exercises. Hopefully they can help me to get back to sleeping.....

suzy-sue
14-06-09, 14:20
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.The insomnia is a pain in the butt.Doesnt help you feel any better at all .It does go and youll sleep well again.The sleepers only seem to work for a few hours if your lucky.But the relaxation will help,have a nice long soak in a warm bath before bed and then ,your muscles will be more relaxed to start with. Can you get some decaff coffee to replace the usual brand you drink?I bought decaff Tea as well and it didnt taste any different. I hope you h:hugs: ave a good day.Luv Suex

Anxious-in-Canada
14-06-09, 17:20
Thanks Sue, I guess I miss the boost of coffee...

How did insomnia last for everyone else? Is it days/weeks or months?

bigmo
14-06-09, 22:34
I've beentaking them for 13 days, I found it hard to sleep for the first 4 or 5 days but things did get better after that. I felt better after about 4 days, however I've felt a bit down since friday but tonight seems to be better. I'm told that most people don't see the full effect until 4 or 6 weeks, if that's true I can't wait.

My thoughts are with those who have just started their course, hang in though, things get better!

Anxious-in-Canada
15-06-09, 12:26
Day 7 (20mg dose) and the insomnia is still killing me. I had to go to work today and man I am exhausted. I kinda feel spaced abit, not sure if it is the citalopram or just being plain tired.

My appetite was good last night but again this morning was a force feeding of breakfast.

I hope the next couple weeks make an improvement for me, cause my experience so far is of impatience and second guessing whether to continue on the meds....

karenp
15-06-09, 13:13
I've been on 40mg's for 6 months now and feel more or less perfect. I don't know I'm even taking Citalopram now as far as side effects go as I just don't have any anymore! The early days are just a bad dream now (0:
Hope this helps every one just sttarting out!

gemmlyjane
15-06-09, 13:29
hi am on day 7 to. seem to be sleeping a bit more still wake suddenly every so often through the night.

the side effects are easing off still feel a bit spaced out and dizzy from time to time. i also seem to be able to reason with myself more without freaking out about everything. my asthma seem to be playing up though dont know if thats got anything to do with the citalopram.

it seems to be getting easier so hang in there it might work soon :)

Anxious-in-Canada
15-06-09, 13:58
I really hope to get around the bend soon, I do know that two weeks is the period it takes "most" to get around side effects and the body to adjust. Then a couple weeks after that before the big change happens...

Hanging in there for now. Man it is tough with little sleep though...

Anxious-in-Canada
16-06-09, 12:51
Day 8 (20mg dose) and I feel better just completely exhausted from a restless sleep. My appetite seems to be slowiy on the mend.

I didn't take a sleeping pill last night (zopiclone) because after reading the potential addictions and withdrawals I decided it wasn't worth it. Hopefully the insomnia balances out in the short term. Also noticed that my tongue didn't feel two time bigger this morning, which was a pleasant surpirse.

Just posting my progress to let people know what to expect (and also for my benefit too) and that it doesn't have to be scary to start on the road to recovery.

These meds work for many people and help get them back to themselves.

Anxious-in-Canada
17-06-09, 12:20
Day 9 (20 mg dose) I think I slept a bit better last night, but getting the kids ready this morning I had severe anxiety, and continue to be anxious here at work....

I guess my system is still adjusting to the meds, guess I was being lured into believing the meds had already stabilized after a couple good days.

My appetite reverted back to me forcing down some breakfast, but it could just be related to my anxiety as well....hopefully things turn around again today.

suzy-sue
17-06-09, 14:12
Glad you slept better ,and you are getting your appetite back,it will help.I am and have always been more anxious in the mornings,hopefully you will feel better as the day goes on. Well done for going to work ,if anything it will take your mind off the anxiety a bit. It can be a roller coaster ride the first few weeks. Hold on ! Hope you have a good day Sue x

Anxious-in-Canada
18-06-09, 12:58
Day 10 (20mg dose) I feel great this morning, I actually got some sleep last night! Most side effects are gone, hopefully now the insomnia is gone as well.

Although, I did do a whole lot of things yesterday: full day of work, 2hours at the lumber yard picking out wood, getting the footings ready for the back patio stairs that are being built. So either I was so exhausted that I just had to sleep or the insomnia is waining.

I guess keeping yourself busy does help. So citalopram seems to be helping me out but I know it is not the only solution, exercise, counselling, and living life are important too!

I am writng this here so that everyone reading it will know that not all experiences with this drug are negative. In fact quite the contrary, many people have great success with the drug. Keep positve and lets get back to living our lives with passion.

Cheers

suzy-sue
18-06-09, 13:09
Glad to hear you slept:yesyes: Keeping occupied does certainly help .You are doing well keep it up.Sue:hugs: x

Anxious-in-Canada
19-06-09, 12:37
Day 11 (20mg dose) I felt just a slight bit anxious this morning, but it passed quickly. I got another night of sleep (not upto par yet) better than previous nights. So it appears I am certainly on the upside of the med now.

Keeping positve, busy and using relaxing music certainly has helped with the anxiety. Also counselling and reading an anxiety workbook too! It is going to be work to get back to myself but I know I am worth it LOL

Kidding aside, we are all worth it! A little work and we can get our lives back.

Cheers

Emmz117
19-06-09, 19:45
Hello all,

Reading through all your messages has really helped reassure me the past few days. I was given 10mg of Citalopram this week and today took my fourth tablet. I have been prescribed them for anxiety related illness and panic attacks which have gone on for months, stopping me from carrying on with life normally and I'm just not the person I used to be anymore and i'm only 20!

The first 2 days I was relatively symptom free which surprised me, I just had problems sleeping. However the past 2 days have been awful! I have been feeling so poorly. Extreme dizziness, nausea, complete loss of appetite, headaches, exhaustion and insomnia. I absolutely dreaded taking the tablet this morning but I just want to get better, I'm sick of being the way I am.

I suppose I'm just seeking reassurance from you who have been through this with citalopram before? And that i'm not suffering for nothing? It is normal?

Thank you, Emma x

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

roo2002
20-06-09, 11:10
I have been on Citalopram for nearly 3 weeks now, at first was lucky enough not to experience any bad side effects, after a week or so found I was very tired in the evenings ( I was taking my dose at around 6pm) wanting to go to bed around 9pm.
In the last week I have been feeling less tired and experienced real problems winding down in the evening & have been laying awake for hours in bed trying to drop off...my mind seems to be very active! Im thinking of changing the time I take my dose to around 1pm to see if this makes sleeping any easier.
Any advice please?!
Sar x

Anxious-in-Canada
20-06-09, 12:32
Roo, I take them in the morning as suggested by my Dr, some people get tired when the pill is taken and some people get wired...so it was suggested that in the morning is better as deal with being tired is easier than being wired and trying to get rest.

I would suggest you try the morning time, and that doesn't work move to the afternoon.

Anxious-in-Canada
20-06-09, 12:36
Day 12 (20mg dose) I found I had a headache last night that was very persistent. Otherwise I feel really good, with only a few moments of anxiety through the day, nothing too severe that it impeded me.

So far the meds are really helping me get back to myself. Again, keeping busy, excerising, doing relaxation techniques and going to counselling are also a requirement...

Stay positive and we will be better soon!

Cheers

bigmo
20-06-09, 12:50
Defo take them in the morning with your breakfast! Good to here you seeing goog results after 12 days! Just imagine how good you'll feed at the 4 to 6 week point!

Anxious-in-Canada
21-06-09, 12:57
Day 13 (20mg dose) I felt a little anxious this morning, sleep is still not quite upto par but certainly improved. My appetite is back in a big way!

Still have anxious moments at times but generally I am feeling much better.

these days seem to have flown by, so the next couple of weeks should be showing more improvement...

Guess the wisdon is, hang in there a couple of weeks is not a lot of time to get back to feel better!

Best wishes for everyone to get to feeling better.

Anxious-in-Canada
22-06-09, 12:37
Day 14 (20mg dose) Still not quite there but certainly far better than I was 14 dyas ago.

A little anxious in the morning but sleeping much better now, I think it important to note that I was on clonazepam and zopiclone which I believe actually gave me the insomnia, I can't say that it was a citalopram side effect for certain....so you may or may not experience the insomnia.

Just posting this info so that people can judge the progress/effectiveness of the med...hopefully it is helpful for someone.

gemmlyjane
22-06-09, 21:27
glad to hear you are doing better!

i am on day 14 as well, i am sleeping better but still not great so i think that is the citalopram, well for me any way.

went back to work today the yawns were not nearly as bad as they had been think the distraction was good. still anxious in the mornings as soon as i wake up then they fade quite quickly. keep having anxious moments and thoughts ramdomly throughout the day but managing to talk myself out of them.

starting councilling at end of week so hope that helps with the anxiety to.

speak soon x

22-06-09, 22:39
Been on citalopram for a few months now for the 3rd time and am on 40mg ( i know high dose) can honestly say i have tried most if not all the anti D'S available and find citalopram the most reliable and consistant, i had side affects at first which were sweating and lack of energy. ( even more than usual suffering from depression) BUT can say it does pass and if it does not they are def not right for you, 2 weeks now in your journey and i do hope the signs of feeling better improve.

121 x

Anxious-in-Canada
23-06-09, 12:41
Day 15 (20mg dose) Last night I think I could have eaten the refridgerator and its contents. So my appetite is back.
I slept very well last. Have noticed that occasionally I am clunching my teeth again...

I also have a headache behind my right eye which seems to be persistent later in the day. I think I read somewhere that this is most likely due to tension/stress and poor posture. So I am going to try and correct my posture.

Other than these minor issues I am feeling better overall, and can't wait for the medication to REALLY start working. Sometime in the next few weeks I understand is the norm...

suzy-sue
23-06-09, 17:13
The headaches are part of the side effects and will reduce with time.
Well done for sticking it out A.I.C. I got a craving for sweet things for a while ,but this has lessened as with the ravenous appetite.... Sue

Anxious-in-Canada
23-06-09, 18:16
Thanks Sue, good to know the headache with eventually go away.

Must of my side effects didn't last very long...hopefully this is encouraging for all you just starting with the meds.

Rutter
23-06-09, 18:54
Hi All,

I joined NMP yesterday but have been reading the forums for several weeks. This really provides useful help and encouragment. I started taking cit. (20 mg) 18 days ago for depression. I have made much improvement but seem to still have an issue with extreme daytime drowsiness and waking early in the morning. I have had several good days where I felt great all day but the last three days I have felt like the depression is back.

Any help or positive thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Rutter

Anxious-in-Canada
23-06-09, 19:05
Rutter, try taking the meds in the evening that way you are drowsy during your sleep...

Also remember it can take upto 3 - 4 weeks before the meds are really working. Hang in there, you come far with 18 days under your belt.

If you aren't already doing these things try them to see how they help you: exercise, reading a book from your favorite author, keeping yourself busy, going for a walk in the fresh air, being around family and friends, getting some counselling...

Hope this helps.

suzy-sue
23-06-09, 20:49
Rutter ,I also used to wake up early in the morning ,the daytime tiredness is something that does get better 4-6 weeks down the line.The depression will usually lift by this time too.You might have to have an increase in dose after 6-8 weeks if the depression hasnt gone ,it will depend on your Dr.I did switch from taking my dose in the morning to night time . This did help with both problems ,but the waking early might still happen for a while ,its early days yet . All the best Sue:hugs:

Anxious-in-Canada
24-06-09, 12:17
Day 16 (20mg dose) Well things seem to be going well, had a meeting with my counselor last night. We talk through some new approaches to anxiety and depression using Mindfulness and Acceptance...seems interesting and it means work on my part but it is effective in getting people living again (and even with out meds!)

Most side effects are gone, sleepy good, appetite has fully gone the other way now...

So I guess I may be one of the lucky ones who the med works well for, staying positive and working at a program are also important too. So hang in there and work hard and we all can get back to living our lives.

Rutter
24-06-09, 16:19
Thank you so much for the responses. I'm somewhat worried about switching the time I take it because for about 5 hours after I take it I become very anxious and aggitated (can't sit still and have the jimmy legs). I thinking that would keep me awake.

I have been exersing every day (a brisk 1.5 mile walk), working in the garden each day, and I haven't missed a day of work yet (that's the hardest part of all this). It's tough being at work feeling so out of it.

Overall today is better than yesterday so that's positive. I'm just wondering if the ups and downs I have been experiencing are normal. I plan to stick with this because of all the positive remarks I've read but right now I'm just struggling a bit (anxiety, aggitation, drowsy and early morning waking).

I will mention that my wife notices an improvement from before I started the medicine and maybe it's just me looking at me that doesn't notice the positives.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you for the responses and support.

Anxious-in-Canada
24-06-09, 17:26
Rutter, you are just experiencing the side effects of the meds. Give it some time, everybody experiences them for different periods of time. If your notices an improvement then that is a great sign. If after 3 - 4 weeks you are improved considerably go back to the doctor as you may an increase in dosage.

Hang in there you doing great work at keeping active, I'm certain you make it around the bend in no time.

Cheers

Anxious-in-Canada
25-06-09, 12:33
Day 17 (20mg dose) I slept well again! I am not anxious anymore or not as bad as I was. So things are looking pretty great.

I do have a lack of motivation though, which I am working on. I have started to do the Mindfulness and Acceptance program which teaches that WAF (worry, anxiety and fear) are part of living and that if you are aware of them and can accept them then you can live with WAF. It is a different approach but my therapist insists it will work for me.

Anxious-in-Canada
26-06-09, 12:59
Day 18 (20mg dose) A little restless sleep last night but nothing too bad. The head ache seems to have returned, can't wait for that to go away.

Otherwise, I am feeling great. My motivation still isn't up to par but I am working on that. So overall so far, my experience is that this med is working and worth the inital week or two of side effects (severe or mild...)

So hang in there everyone, and lets get to living our lives again.

Anxious-in-Canada
27-06-09, 21:41
Day 19 (20 mg dose) I feel quick well, didn't have head aches today. No morning anxiety, and felt back to my normal self.

I think the meds have kicked in enough that I am over my side effects period (at least I hope so)

Motivation is still an issue, but I am working on it. It will come back in time I'm sure.

So keeping things positive and we will all be back to our lives soon enough!

Cheers

PanicStriken
27-06-09, 22:03
The first week I was on Citalopram I was at the Hospital, but I'm now out, and I haven't had a panic attack in quite a while. Monday will be the 3rd Week on this new medication along with the other new medication, Topamax.

I may talk with my doctor to reduce the 600MG Seroquel because it is really knocking me out and lingering into the next day, and may be causing my sleep apnea to be worse.

I'm currently experiencing the following side effects: Mild Head Pressure, Weakness, Chest Pain (Most likely GERD) and Faintness. I have lost 6 pounds because one of the two drugs I am now has dramatically reduced my appetite which I do like, but also get anxiety from thinking I'm not eating enough.

Then again, I weigh 305, so I need to lose the weight.

Best wishes all!

Anxious-in-Canada
28-06-09, 20:35
Day 20 (20mg dose) I am pretty much back to normal and no side effects showing at this time.

Went to a party last night and didn't drink anything acolohic but really wanted to have a beer...but I am going to wait for a while yet to allow my body to adjust.

Keeping busy and positive is really helping, and I can't wait for a few months from now when I am done the meds and back to my old self again!

Cheers

Hereford Al
28-06-09, 22:00
Hi guys. Hope all are OK. I'm after a bit of info or advice....
Does anyone know if Citalopram is less effective when it is super-hot and muggy/humid?

I've been feeling really crap for the last 2 or 3 days with this heat and had my first panic attack in about 2 months overnight on Friday because I woke up in the middle of the night feeling really damn sick. Tis my own fault probably for rushing around like a loon last week being really busy and not taking enough care of myself in the already warm weather we were having then.

At the moment I feel sick all the time, have the trots (sorry for being disgusting!), next to no appetite, a raging headache and going from sweating like crazy to being shivering cold quite quickly. My skin also feels really warm too and my legs feel jelly-like.

This is the first dodgy spell I have had on Citalopram since the first couple of weeks when all the nasty side effects were present. I hope it is just the weather or a tummy bug or something.

suzy-sue
28-06-09, 22:10
Hi Al! You sound like you have a bug to me.Although I woke up in a sweat yesterday morning myself,havnt done this for ages.It has been very warm and sometimes it takes our body time to adjust. It can give you an upset tummy sometimes...We can get a bit dehydrated and not be aware of it,so it is important to drink more water, I hope you feel better soon .sending you a Hug:hugs: Sue

Hereford Al
28-06-09, 22:26
Cheers Sue. Thanks for the reply (and the hug!).
The more I actually analyse it, the more I think it is a bug or just dehydration, because I don't actually feel all that anxious. Just very tired and quite sick.

Hopefully I will feel better in the morning if I can get a decent night of sleep....I'm going to kip in the front bedroom, as that room has avoided the sun for most of the day, unlike my room in the back of the house which, even with the window open and the ceiling fan on and the curtain shut all afternoon, feels like an oven!

Ta,
Al

Hereford Al
29-06-09, 12:34
Man, I still feel really awful this morning. I walked 10mins to the shop to get a loaf of bread and a pint of milk this morning and nearly collapsed walking home. Luckily I bumped into our postman and he helped me walk home after he saw me being sick on the pavement.

The Doctor cant see me until tomorrow at their (10min appointment) drop in surgery and I have been projectile vomitting and having some nosebleeds since I got home a few hours ago.

My anxiety is through the roof at the moment and really don't know what to do because I am alone in the house all week as my folks are on holiday. I took half a spare Lorazepam earlier (that I had left over from when I started my Citalopram a few months back) to try and calm me down and that has not helped either as I am still being sick.

Every time I've tried to eat something over the last 2 days I have been either sick or it goes straight through me the other end. If I drink too much water the same happens, even though I am so damn thirsty. My skin has suddenly become red hot all over aswell and I am shaking pretty badly.

I am not sure what to do - Whether to ring the hospital or try and get some sleep and see if I feel any better later on. I just feel so damn feeble and confused at the moment.

suzy-sue
29-06-09, 13:37
Your poor thing!:hugs: I would ring the DRs and say you need a home visit! Or ring NHS DIRECT, Try to sip small ammounts of water,if you are still being sick.It does sound like you have caught something. I Do hope you get someone to have a look at you.Let us know how you get on.You have to be very insistent by the way... Suex

Anxious-in-Canada
29-06-09, 21:11
day 21 (20mg dose) I didn't get much sleep last night, my daughter was up with bad dreams... so this morning I had a headache and seemed abit anxious. I am attributing it to lack of sleep...

Otherwise I am getting back to myself. Hopefully another couple of weeks with the meds will really help.

Cheers

HappyNow
30-06-09, 13:40
Still lucky with the side effects. Two weeks in now and I'm having some pretty vivid dreams - but the good thing is that they've all been really great ones. I can kind of feel my mind working again, my creativity is starting to return and my dreams, rather than being fleeting and often anx related are glorious technicolour productions full of amazing things and wonderful feelings. I just had to lie in bed this morning for about ten minutes just to reflect on the beautiful dream that I'd had in the night.
The other side effect is the sweating. The Doc warned me of that (and the pssibility of suicidal thoughts - none, so far thank goodness).
I know the weather's hot, but blimey I'm drenched as soon as I even move. Uncommon, but really I'm thankful that's the only 'negative' that I'm getting so far.
Back to work next week and only mild anx about that at the moment.
Fingers crossed.

Hereford Al
30-06-09, 21:59
Hi. Sorry if I scared anyone in my above posts.
Managed to get through to the Docs surgery and ask them to get a Doc to phone me back because I felt it was an emergency. My GP did phone back, ran through all my symptoms and said that it looked like I had a nasty case of flu (she asked if I had been to Mexico recently!) and told me to take Paracetamol.

So I went down the local Surgery/Pharmacy to pick some up. Only 15mins walk each way but it nearly finished me off in the Monday afternoon heat! I've been taking paracetamol every 6 hours since Monday afternoon and am starting to be able to eat again. I just feel really really weak! Even the smallest amount of effort makes my head hurt, but hopefully I am over the worst of it - Slept on and off for nearly 15 hours last night and eventually got out of bed at 1PM this afternoon. Naughty me.

I guess when you suffer with anxiety, you are never sure whether something is either a real illness or "just" anxiety, if that makes sense.

Wish this heat and humidity would sod off though. A couple more days left yet according to the forecast :-(

suzy-sue
30-06-09, 22:11
:bighug1: Hi AL glad to hear you are a little bit better.I must admit it did sound like a dose of the Flu to me,.:scared15: Glad you got to speak to the Dr.The heat must be a nightmare for you,but at least you can drink plenty now. Get plenty of rest.Hope you feel better soon . Sue x:flowers:

Hereford Al
30-06-09, 22:18
Cheers Sue :-)
I'll sleep loads over the next few days I am sure! Could really murder a portion of chips and a steak pie (or fishcake) though!
Take care,
Al

hayley3
01-07-09, 22:08
hiya im telling you do not go cold turkey, i was on them for about 3 months and was fed up of the side effects (30mg) so just stopped the worst 2 - 3 weeks of my life, i cant really remember them, i was spaced out, did not feel really, kept seeing bright colours and stars, and felt like a zomby, didnt even live my life really, oh and i was being sick constantly for about 5 days, be careful

loufitz
02-07-09, 11:10
Hi
I have been on Citalopram for two weeks and feel awful, my GP told me to tak 10 mg for 2 weeks then up to 20 mg. As I was feeling so bad and suicidal I went to the doctors but my GP was not there so I saw another she was a bit wishy washy and said to stick with 10 mg until I could see my doctor again in anopther fortnight. I went to get the presecription yest and the pharmacy assistant said she was on them and 10 mg did not touch her but 20 mg was brill. What should I do ? I feel a bit better than I did a few days ago but am still highly on the edge. I am worried if I do up to 20 mg all these feelings will start again but equally I am feeling no better with 10 mg so 20 mg may help !

Dreampattern
02-07-09, 12:48
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site (just found you today) but just wanted to say a huge thank-you to all who post on here. I have been in Citalopram for 5 weeks now. The first 2 weeks had me on 20mg and I felt slightly better, but my GP put it down to placebo effect, as it could not have kicked in yet. He renewed the prescription for another 2 weeks. When I next saw him I explained that things felt worse if anything,but he said not to worry and put me on 40mg for 2 weeks.

That was a week ago and I feel terrible. I have had the odd upset tummy and the occasional headache but the past 3 days have had me stay indoors in floods of tears 80% of the day. Far worse than I was before I went to my GP.

I was going to just quit, but thanks to all your comments on here, I think I will definitely stick it out. I do not feel at all suicidal, but just incredibly sad.

I now recognise that dreadful tearful days are a side effect. I am quite concerned that this is not listed in the pamphlet, as this is crucial information as it exacerbated my depression. Just knowing I am not alone and this happens to others is such a relief, and reading how it got so much better for you after weeks gives me such hope.

I smiled today for the first time in days ... thanks to you all!

I love you guys, and this forum - thank you.

I hope this finds you and yours safe, happy and smiling.

Paul

Anxious-in-Canada
02-07-09, 13:46
Day 23 (20mg Dose) I had a great start to the day, and feel good today again. Still having slight moments of anxiety a couple of times through out the day. Usually 4 - 5 hours after taking the med... but there are supposed to be ups and downs.

So going into the 4th week and most of side effects are gone, still get an occasional headache, but I believe these will subside in time too.

Generally I think the meds are starting to adjust in my system but have been told that 6 -8 weeks is in reality the time period before the meds are at their best effect.

How have the rest of you experienced this?

Again keeping positive, and trying to not scare those who are just starting out. The initial side effects and hardships were just temporary so hang in there.

Anxious-in-Canada
02-07-09, 13:58
Hi loufitz

The meds react differently to people, I started right away with 20mg and had a couple of weeks of mild to hard side effects (loss of appetite, insomnia, clenching teeth, hot/cold flushes and head aches) but got through it all.

I am not a doctor so I won't tell you what dose to take, but if 10mg is effecting you then the medication is starting its course to helping you feel better. I would say consult your doctor asap, but trust in the judgement of the dosage that was prescribe for now....

Remember that these side effects are temporary and soon you be on the other side feeling better and back to being youself again.

I found keeping active (exercise and activities,) relaxing and enjoying things you like (music, reading, watching TV/movies...) getting some counselling, talking with friends/family and just accepting the feelings (of anxiety and fear) and letting them pass, these were things that really helped me through. I am still doing them too in a effort to get me back on track so that I won't have to take the medication in the future.

My counsellor is quick an interesting guy, he tells me to be aware of my anxiety and fear and accept them for what they are...a part of being a human being. It is also OK to tell them to F off...as they are just pieces of the human experience and aren't the only pieces. They have their place but can't consume....

A lot easier said then done though, but with work I hope to accomplish this....

OK enough rambling, hang in there and lets get better.

Cheers

bingley
02-07-09, 14:54
Hi there, I started with 10mg and went up to 20mg, and had no side affects at all (im the biggest lightweight too, coffee gives me palpatations, get drunk on 2 glasses of wine etc), but I did feel a bit dopey, and hungry all the time. I took them for about 4 month,s but came off them cause I put alot of weight on which affected my back pain. I did feel calmer and had no panic attacks whilst on them, but they are not a magic cure , they might just help you through a bad time, and cope better with the job of day to day living.

Budgie
02-07-09, 20:07
Hi! I'm writing this via my phone, so please excuse the many mistakes im bound to make :D Well, its been a week since I upped my dose from 20mg to 40mg per day. Its still too soon to know how its working out, I can feel myself still adjusting. I've had a big increase in anxiety, as expected based on my experience of cit. Its a constant feeling like I'm going to tip over into a panic attack. I've also been feeling scared of things for no reason, like the dark, last night I was stressing and getting bizarrly upset about the teacups in the kitchen somehow falling out of the cupboard (?!?). Ive also been having grumbly stomach and thick heads. The main thing Im finding is Im so lethrgic. So tired! But my sleeping pattern is still nonexistant. Yet, if it eventually helps, it got to be worth a go. Im really hoping so, this will be my 6th month on citalopram, please let it be the breakthrough!

susie29
02-07-09, 22:20
Hi ya all.

I've just starting taking Citalopram 20mg, and I'm on day 4 of taking them. It has been a relief to hear that other people have suffered bad side effects from this med as I was beginning to think that I was having an allergic reaction. I've never felt so ill in all my life, my anxiety is worse that it was before starting the meds. I've taken a diazapam tonight just to get me through, as my doc said it was safe to take them together. I'm just waiting for them to kick in!! Please hurry up and start to work, as this is getting unbearable. This is going to be the worse couple of weeks of my like. How did you guys get through this hard stage???

Lion King
02-07-09, 23:09
It was very hard for the first 2 weeks, I felt terrible on these meds but I just kept telling myself that the side effects are only temporary and they would fade away, which they did thankfully. I became a little withdrawn and took time off work to concemntrate on recovery! I am 15 weeks on and after playing around with the doses I seemed to have settled down.

Hope all goes well and stick with it the best you can!

Lion King

suzy-sue
02-07-09, 23:20
Hope you find your new dose works better for you Budgie.Have you heard yet when you start your new job?

Susie,Try to keep occupied ,and eat regularly.You also need to drink plenty.The side effects are awful for some ,but they do go.Hang in there and try to relax Suex:hugs:

Chips
03-07-09, 15:51
Just started on Citalopram this morning - 10mg for a week rising to 20. About 3 hours after taking the first dose started feeling more anxiety, spaced out, dizzy and dry mouthed. My thoughts are all over the place and go from positive to negative within 2 minutes. Hopefully this will pass as I would need Diazepam just to cope with the side affects at the moment. I'll stick this out though as all I want is to feel normal again.

Lion King
03-07-09, 19:58
Keep with it chips, you have taken the first step to recovery, the bad times won't last forever, just learn relaxation techniques and try and put a positive spin on things.

Don't expect things to happen straight away, it does take time! I spent everyday self checking just for the hope that I felt better, but the less you think about the anxiety the better you will becom. Remember you are in control, its just a matter of learning how to take control.

All the Best

Lion King

susie29
05-07-09, 18:06
Hi ya guys

Day 7 now and feling muh better, I hope this is the beginning of a normal life again, havent had any major anxiety attacks all day, just mild side effects of the meds, but i can cope with this. I even went up to the shop earlier to buy nappies (With my hubby and sis) and felt fine. Got a few weeks off work to recover and my two small boys will be at nursery all day so I am going to concentrate on getting myself better with some food at the moment I'm nearly 7 stone and been living off fruit smoothies as eating is a real struggle. Good luck to all you guys and thanks for all the support and advice, I wish i found this site months ago. xxx

Lion King
05-07-09, 21:12
Well done susie, keep taking them small steps and you will get there.

Keep Brave!

Lion King

suzy-sue
05-07-09, 22:05
Glad to hear your feeling a lot betterSusie.I lost a stone in weight but have put it back on now.Well done for sticking at it ,Take care Sue:hugs:

Chips
06-07-09, 18:35
Well, day 4 of taking just 10mg and I'm giving up on this drug. I have never experienced such intense, black depression and thoughts of suicide in my life. Very intense hopelessness and thoughts of death that lasted all day. Had to take a diazepam just to get some degree of sanity back. I was close to admitting myself to hospital!

Phoned my GP to ask for his advice and got told he is refferring me to the community mental health department to "see an expert". I know people say stick with this med because things do get better (for some) but what I felt today was simply not worth it. What next...god only knows. Feel totally lost.:weep:

suzy-sue
06-07-09, 19:09
So sorry you felt so bad Chips.I had the same when I was on Mirtazapine. The Cit was bad but not as much.There are lots of alternatives and Im sure one will work for you.At least you gave it a try.Let us know how you get on.Hugs Sue:hugs:

Chips
07-07-09, 00:38
Thanks suzy. I don't mind putting up with nausea, spaced out feelings and increased anxiety, but these were rotten feelings and thoughts about ending my life and were simply unbearable. My gp wouldn't give me any diazepam so I had to use up some I had left over from a trip to A&E. Thank god I had that.

Both my brother and sister have had good success with citalopram when they had depression but for some reason this drug is a big no-no for me. Apparently the mental health bloke I'll be seeing is very good so he should find a good alternative med that won't give me such drastic and dangerous effects.

Hereford Al
07-07-09, 12:41
Sue....Everyone is different - I found Mirtazapine really easy to get on with little side effects on starting up. It is just a shame it did naff all for my anxiety. Citalopram was very hard (to the point of wanting to give up after a week!) to get on but I have found that it has helped me far more than Mirtazapine.

Chips....As above, everyone is different - Some medications "work" for some people yet not for others. I am sure the Mental Health chappy will definately help out in that respect - My GP was part of the old school and I could tell she was not really clued up on MH issues, whereas the people from the Community Mental Health Team had alot more expertise in this area.

Chris003
08-07-09, 03:27
Hi there. I have been thrown all over the shop to be where I am now.

Do I put it here or new people? I am so ecstatic about this forum!!!!

gemmlyjane
08-07-09, 21:04
hi hope you are all doing ok? i have not posted in a while, trying to live life!

for all you new people,the side effects are horrible, they were the worst 2 weeks of my life but i stuck it out and i am on week 5 now. everyone is different and may not even feel anything from the cit, but i sure did.

i have started seeing a someone to talk over my problems with and i feel this is really helping. the pills are working i can reason with myself and i am actually going out to places by myself and starting to have a little fun, even just feeling like i can smile is just such a weight off.

not really having side effects much now maybe just still not sleeping 100% hope this gets better. i've got a while to go but getting there. so all i can say is hang in there if you can, there could be light at the end of tunnel some of us just need some help to find it. x:flowers:

Lion King
08-07-09, 21:40
Citalopram is pretty tough to get thru, I had a hard time and felt like they weren't working at times, but with advice from gp and this forum I have stuck it out and feel much better! 40mg was the best dose for my anxiety!

Guildfordian
09-07-09, 12:41
I started on these on Tiesday - bee mtold to take half a tablet for the first week. I have come out on a red rash on my arms this morning, conscious of a metalic taste in my mouth, but otherwise ok so far. This thread has made me worry about takign these.

I was diagnosed with depression 3 months ago and resisted preccribed drugs but yealded as I was not improving on St John's Wart.

I was off work for 4 week, I then went back for 4 weeks part time, but wasnt coping! I want to go back to work asap , but not sure how this will go.

How long before I see some benefit?

gemmlyjane
09-07-09, 21:46
hi guildfordian, i am on them more for anxiety, than depression although think it could be a mixture.

i had terrible side effects from these tablets. the first week was terrible didn't know where i was or what i was doing! the second week was bad but they did become less by the third week i could feel them starting to kick in without side effects but now i am on week 5 and i feel alot better in me! i had to take two weeks off work until the effects wore away.

i would say if you can stick at them it could be worth it but don't be scared as alot of people have effects but they do go away. but if you really don't feel happy taking them don't push yourself.:)

claire-
10-07-09, 03:44
This is my first time on this site.
thank you everyone its very help ful

ive been on citalopram for 3 weeks.i took this time off work just incase i got side effects as i have to drive an hour in.

have had taste of salt in my mouth from beginning which is strange as i dont use it in cooking.

this last week just can t sleep. had several niight of being wide awake till 5am then falling asleep on sofa till 2 pm.so i made my self stay wake thinking that i would be so tied i would fall asleep.no again it was 5pm. my whole body clock seem to have been thrown out.

is this normal.....?

Angel with an A
10-07-09, 10:02
Hello all,

I have a big decision to make and would appreciate some advice. Have been on Citalopram for 3 months now for panic disorder and now feel almost back to normal thank goodness. They have made me feel so much better that i swore that i would be on them forever if thats what it took to feel myself again, BUT, the weight gain on Citalopram is ridiculous! Nothing fits anymore and because i dont want to come off the meds i am barely eating to try and combat it but to no avail. I cant go on like this and am now seriously considering stopping the meds but am terrified of becoming the terrified unrecognisable person i was before. At the moment i dont know what's worse!
Any suggestions??

Angel with an A

pinkandfluffy
10-07-09, 10:05
I've been on Citalopram for 5 months now. The side effects at first were nearly unbearable. But as I was in a complete state anyway I didn't fully appreciate that it was the tablets causing the problems. Things settled down after about 3 to 4 weeks and I started to have good days. Iwent back to work after having 3 months off, maybe a little too soon I now realise. I still have bad days, but they are not as frequent as they used to be.

My problem now is weight gain. My weight has always yo-yo'd up and down, and I accept that. But the whole weight thing is just adding to my anxiety at the moment as i'm getting married in 6 weeks, and the dress that I ordered in January no longer fits, and is not fixable. I have put on 1 1/2 stones in the last three months, and the weight has gone on in unusual places like my back... that's always the last place i've gained weight before. I knew that i'd put weight on, but realise how much. I'm now dieting like mad, just so that I don't put anymore on. After months of progress I now feel so miserable at what should be the happiest time of my life.

Sorry for posting on somebody elses thread, but thought it was relevant. :blush:

suzy-sue
10-07-09, 21:36
This is my first time on this site.
thank you everyone its very help ful

ive been on citalopram for 3 weeks.i took this time off work just incase i got side effects as i have to drive an hour in.

have had taste of salt in my mouth from beginning which is strange as i dont use it in cooking.

this last week just can t sleep. had several niight of being wide awake till 5am then falling asleep on sofa till 2 pm.so i made my self stay wake thinking that i would be so tied i would fall asleep.no again it was 5pm. my whole body clock seem to have been thrown out.

is this normal.....?

Yes Claire its very common,you will get back to a normal pattern of sleeping ,the funny taste will go too.

Angel andPink and fluffy
This stuff gives you a carb and sugar craving sometimes.Its better to eat small ammounts of food throughout the day,instead of just a meal at night.You also need to do exercise and avoid alcohol if you want to loose weight Have you thought about joining a gym for a regular workout ,programme? All the Best with your wedding.Suex

claire-
10-07-09, 22:55
Yes Claire its very common,you will get back to a normal pattern of sleeping ,the funny taste will go too.

Angel andPink and fluffy
This stuff gives you a carb and sugar craving sometimes.Its better to eat small ammounts of food throughout the day,instead of just a meal at night.You also need to do exercise and avoid alcohol if you want to loose weight Have you thought about joining a gym for a regular workout ,programme? All the Best with your wedding.Suex

thank you for reply. i shall keep going with them.

saza_strawberry_bean
12-07-09, 22:21
hiya, i have now been on citalopram 10mg for about two weeks, and i seem to feel worse? i have been feeling physically ill constantly and down, also i have been grinding my teeth? i dunno if this is any side effect, but i feel maybe i should up my dose? im 18 and really dont like all of this :( just being on here, seein others helps

suzy-sue
12-07-09, 22:56
Sounds like you are having the usual side effects ,you will feel worse for a while ,but your tabs will kick in soon,It can take 4-6 weeks for the dose to stabilise but you should begin to feel better if only slightly in a week or so.Wait until your dose stabilises before you increase when your Dr says its ok.You will only get more side effects otherwise. Im sure you will feel better soon .All the best Suex

CHABLIS
13-07-09, 12:42
Day 12. 7 at 10mg and the rest at 20mg. Side effects like appetite and sleep have more or less returned to normal. My axiety before taking them was say at 2 on a scale of 1-10. Now it's at 8 approx! This is crazy that medication is making me much worse. I am taking 4 .25mg xanax a day just to cope. Before this medication I was able to easily cope with 2 a day. Seems ridiculous.

CHABLIS
13-07-09, 12:58
Day 12. 7 days at 10 and rest at 20mg. Sleeping and appetite back to normal. Anxiety before medication was say 2 on scale 1-10. Now at say 8. Unbelievable. Think I'll stop.

Guildfordian
13-07-09, 15:25
I have been on 10 mg for a week and due to double dose from tomorrow.

Tempting fate here, but no real trouble as yet. (but reading this site is making me nervous about talkign 20mg) The odd feeling of light- headiness, a rash on my hands (my doc says this is nothing to do with the tabs!) and sleeping same as normal.

After reading about "drinking" on here, I had a bottle of beer yesterday without any adverse effect.

Am I just being lucky?

haldi
13-07-09, 19:25
Citalopram really seems like a can of worms
I guess we wouldn't be taking it, if we weren't fairly desperate
Mine was prescribed for insomnia
I've had this problem for about 15 years
I was put on 20mg a day
From day one, I felt really tired and disoriented.
That was just the side effects, because it happened straight away
After about a week, I felt less tired but continued to sleep well
After two weeks I couldn't be bothered to do anything
I was totally apathetic about everything
So I stopped taking citalopram, and my sleep went bad again
I can't seem to win on this

stephles
13-07-09, 19:54
I've been on Citalopram for just under three weeks, and while the majority of side effects passed within the first week (nausea, dizzyness, interrupted sleep, ringing in ears etc), over the past few days I have noticed a sharp increase in anxiety in situations where I previously felt in control. I guess it's just a matter of letting things settle down. There are lots of posts on here that suggest it's all worth it in the long run, so I'll push through it and see what happens.

Bumble77
13-07-09, 23:00
My boyfriend suffers from depression and has been trying different antidepressants for the past few months. He started taking 20mgs Citalopram which made him sleepy, but no other serious side effects. recently he increased his dose to 30 mgs. After a couple of weeks he became really distant and unemotional. It seems to be related to the tablets. Has anyone else experienced this?

Captain Birdseye
14-07-09, 00:01
I took Citalopram for 6 months.
For the first week I couldn't bring myself to talk to anyone. I wanted too but I just couldn't work up the effort to speak. I cleaned continuously. After that it wasn't too bad. I had real trouble sleeping at first but that wore off after about a month.

I did get quite paranoid that they were a placebo and thought the doctor was testing me to see if I really needed them eventually that also passed. I finally came to the conclusion that so what if they are a placebo I feel much calmer on them so I think it's fair to say they were finally working.

I did find myself completely apathetic after a while. I found it hard to react to anything I just couldn't care even if I wanted to.

As for drinking I had to not take a tablet if I was going out. Regardless of how much or little alcohol I drank I was sick every hour after I went to bed.

Coming off them was weird. I stopped taking them when I ran out basically and I was so dizzy for about 2 weeks after.

I've been so much better since then. Their certainly not the most pleasant things I've ever taken but I think it was worth the side effects in the long run.

mormie
14-07-09, 04:51
Being on Citalopram is the best thing I ever did for myself, It has calmed me down completely, I am 75% recovered from Agorophobia, I am getting ready to go back to University and move to N.Ireland I no longer get really dizzy or panicy, I also had my first night out on the town without having to worry about getting in a taxi as soon as I leave the club and I can go shopping in town and in the supermarket :) I am so happy yay x

stephles
14-07-09, 12:31
Congratulations Mormie, that's fantastic! :) definitely worth sticking with them then!

The Last Gunslinger
14-07-09, 17:57
I've been on 20mg Citalopram for 3 years before that Seroxat for 3 years, before that many other Anti-Depressants over a 2 year period.

Citalopram are the best by far when it comes to side effects. Since taking them I have suffered from only mild sweating.

My only problem is when I drink alcohol at the weekend. I have drank at the weekends since I was young (I'm now 40, 6 foot tall and 16 stones), usually on a Friday and Sunday. I tend to binge drink (10 pints a session). I love doing this as this is my drug of choice.

In the past I have never had a hangover unless i've gone onto spirits, but since starting on Citalopram I have suffered the worst hangovers imaginable.

I get severe heart palpitations, pannic attacks, shallow breathing and feel my whole body is in muscle spasm for about 2 days after the session. This means I stay in bed unable to function properly until all these side effects have subsided.

Therefore I have decided to reduce my Citalopram intake as I love drinking and socializing to much to give it up. I've gone down from 20 to 10mg for over a week now with no side effects apart from not feeling like a cabbage head anymore (I feel more alive). Anyway i'm going to try drinking whilst on the 10mg dose and if my side effects are still the same i'm going to come off citalopram over the coming months. I'll let you know what happens. Please let me know if you have had similar experiences...
P.S. This website is great :D wish i'd found it 7 years ago.

Guildfordian
16-07-09, 16:06
Well...10 pints a night might be fun, but it isnt without its issues!:winks:

I am 10 days in and I WENT BACK TO WORK THIS WEEK!!!:D Ok only doing half days as I as feel quite tired. No other real problems with the drug as yet

The Last Gunslinger
16-07-09, 17:11
yes 10 pints are accessive but i'm a big bloke and have high tolerance to alcohol. I don't smoke or do class a,b or c drugs. If i had to give up my boozy weekends I think i'd die anyway, in fact i'd rather jump in my coffin now :(

I know it all sounds very sad but i don't really want to live past 70 anyway (The crap years) :D

MG477
26-07-09, 11:32
I have just started taking Citalopram (10 mg) for social anxiety and have experienced no noticable side effects, except perhaps a slight increase in sweating. I have also not experienced any problems when drinking alcohol-possibly a lower threshold but this makes a night out a lot cheaper:biggrin:. I would certainly recommend giving it a go and I have found it to be extremely helpful so far.

Carla louise
27-07-09, 15:35
Hi all, day four on 10mg, feel a little edgy, dizzy and nauseous in the mornings but sleeping like a baby,flat out, take my tab 2 hrs before I go to bed. Feel pretty good and alert and find I am having spells where I am thinking of nothing at all, just focusing on a task-this is a most welcome effect. Bad thoughts not gaining the momentum they once did. Everyone responds differently but please don't be scared of taking this medication and try and keep busy to prevent yourself from over-focusing on the side effects, be kind to yourself. I have just bought in some lovely non alcoholic bottles of Muscat-not gonna bother seeing if I can still drink alcohol-why take the risk x

Lion King
28-07-09, 21:07
Hi there Carla,

It sounds like you are on the right tracks with your postive post on this thread, keep up the positiveness as this is a major key to your recovery!

The side effects will fade away in time so don't worry too much about them, I went thru them and found them quite distressing at times but I remained positive as I thought about the long term effects of where I would eventually feel better.

Keep well

LK

Guildfordian
29-07-09, 12:08
My company made me redundant yesterday.... and I am thinking "good! stuff em! Show me the money!""

...I wonder if it's the tablets? :D

Seriously, apart from a bit of light headiness, I feel pretty good on these! Not nasties either

Carla louise
29-07-09, 15:54
Thankyou Lion King, I am now on day 7 and still doing ok with regard to side effects but have now got a major panic on due to reading things about Citalopram causing weight gain!!, I have never had to worry about my weight and don't want to start now, can anyone offer any words of encouragement re this :-( x

gemmlyjane
29-07-09, 21:22
hi all hope you are all doing ok?

hi am on week 7 could be 8, just goes to show they do work!! when i first started i experienced all the side effects could not sleep, felt dizzy, sick, spaced out and increased paranoia, it was so scary and i was really tempted to stop, but i didn't i am glad didn't.

the side effects do go away i must say i can still take a anxiety attack but they do not happen any where as much. also i am seeing person like a counsillor for support so hope this helps. as for the weight gain - i have been fine apart from the lack of appite when i first took them and lost a few pounds but it didn't take me long to put it back on!!!!

and i have been out socialising with the odd drink and i have been really drunk, i don't know if thats to do with the pillls or just that i am relaxed and having a good time when i am out now?

all of you keep strong it will get better x:winks:

sazmatazz
30-07-09, 23:53
Hi everyone... I'm a newbie, just wanted to share my experience of citalopram so far.

I've been taking them for 2 weeks now (10mg). I'm not yet feeling any positive effects and have experienced some side effects.

I had a really metallic taste in my mouth for the first couple of days, I also felt very very tired and drowsy on occasions, I was sleeping excessively and also fell asleep during the day a couple of times.
I was getting dizzy spells for about a week, and have also been experiencing very random bursts of really intense anxiety and panic since I started taking them.
Thankfully that seems to be the worst of it, I had fears of projectile vomiting and stomach upset and hallucinations, something tells me I read the side effects list a few too many times... haha.

Anyway it hasn't been too bad, although I'm not really feeling any better than I did before I started taking them.

Back to work on monday so we'll see how that one goes!

Fire
31-07-09, 10:06
Hello everyone!
I was prescribed these drugs yesterday (20mg) so I sat this morning doing a little research. I'm now not sure if I want to take them. I have suffered depression on and of for years in different degrees.
These are my main concerns
1. I will sink further into deppression if I gain any weight, i hate my body as it is and have struggled for ages just to lose a few pounds.
2. I love my weekend wine and enjoy getting 'tipsy'
I want to try to lead a normal (whats normal, i know) life as possible.
I like running on a regular basis, will this be affected?
omg, all these things could mean I should just tough it out without the pills?
any thoughts anyone?:scared15:

si..................
31-07-09, 10:12
hi ... welcome to the world of Citalopram ... !! ... all the side effects you are experiencing are correct .. but they will subside and hopefully sort you out ...
MY STORY ... the same as yours about 18 months ago .. i went from 20 to 30 mg .. but i have now decided to come off as i was always having headaches and constant yawning ... plus a few bouts of D in the middle ...
i took the decision i would rather feel like crap not taking the drugs as to feeling the same but still taking them ..( if that makes sense )

the withdrawal process is a bad as the starting process from what im led to beleive ...so we are in the same boat ( albeit going the opposite direction )
feel free to keep me updated ...hang on in there you are not alone :bighug1:

vickilou
01-08-09, 10:55
Hi all, glad to have found this forum.
I had been on seroxat for about 15 years and my therapist decided that they had stopped working for me- she suggested i give citalopram a go.
I gradually reduced the seroxat by about 5mg a month until i was off the stuff and then started this citolapram.
I began by taking 10mg and after a week have upped to 20mg.
started about thurs feeling bad severe headaches bad nausea rushing sensation across back and down arms very down and emotional feeling like cant cope wont let my husband leave me alone is this normal please help.

vickilou
01-08-09, 13:37
hi me again
spoke to nhs direct for some help dr told me to double to 40 mg decided not good idea so instead dropped down to 10mg again feeling so bad feeling cold as well the thought of food making me worse any suggestions please please

Lion King
01-08-09, 14:44
Hi there,

Are you sure you are not coming down with a bug? Citalopram knocked my appetite for a short while, but when that faded I couldn't eat fast enough to keep up with my self.

I have done the increases very gradual, I was told to increase from 20 to 40 by the doctor, instead I increase to 30 for a few weeks then went upto 40, this way it wasn't too harsh!

Hope you start to feel better soon.

LK

vickilou
02-08-09, 09:53
hi lk thanks for answering its only been about 5 days with loss of appitite but one of my fears is being sick and upset tummy so i think i am making it worse .
hope it all feels better soon as a am feeling weaker so finding it harder to cope :scared11:

tjammer20
08-08-09, 20:29
hi,
i was put on citalopram 20mg by my gp about 8 days ago, was fine first two days then third night thought i was going to die, my husband was in work on nights. Woke up @ 2.30am with the runs then my forearms started to burn and felt very nausious then out of the blue all of this water started to pour of my face, looked in the mirror and i looked grey thought i was having heart attack so i called the emergency doctor who after asking me some questions said it could be side affects from citalopram, has anyone had similar problems? please let me know & put my mind @ rest.

stephen1971
09-08-09, 00:48
Hi all was prescribed citalopram on Tuesday after visiting docs.I had been to a shrink before and he told me i had social phobias.However,i decided that i would deal with it in my own way.My own way of dealing with it was living the life of a recluse and this worked fine until i met Wendy.It wasent long before my problem starting causing tension in our relationship.She is a very outgoing and sociable person which i am not.It came to a head and our relationship ended because i just couldnt handle the social side of it.I was fine when it was just me,her and the kids but any interaction with "outsiders"caused me so much stress.She suggested i contact my gp and get my phobias treated.I have had a really bad couple of months..breaking up with her and then my cousin dying at age 34 from heart failure in his sleep.To top all this off my dad took unwell at the weekend.We finally got him to hospital on Saturday after much persuading.He was a heavy smoker and was coughing up blood so as a nurse i pretty much knew what the reason was.He arrested on the monday morning and they got him back but ventilated him and transfered him to ICU.They started treating him with antibiotics for Pneumonia but they werent making any difference.I spoke to the sho on Monday and told her my concerns and she ordered a ct scan for the Tuesday.tuesday was my first day of taking the drug.When i went up for visiting the doc told us they had done the ct scan and he had cancer as i suspected.they said there was no chance of recovery and wanted to turn off his life support which i agreed to.We sat for 3 hours watching him die and i felt very little.I wondered if me taking the drug in the morning had made me feel like this.I know my gp said it would take a few weeks to start working but i felt fuzzy and like i was watching it all happen without actually knowing it was happening to me.I didnt take the drug again until today because to be honest i forgot all about it being busy with the arrangements.I did read the side effects on the leaflet on the packet before taking the drug.Today i took it again when i remembered about 5pm.I dont feel sad or happy just nothing.Is this normal or am i just in shock.After reading about all of your experiences i dont know if i want to take it now.I know i cant live my life as a recluse but i dont think i want to live my life devoid of emotion either.I am sorry this has been so long winded but i felt i needed to explain why i am having doubts.

Guildfordian
12-08-09, 14:29
I know that everyone is different, but after 6 weeks of being on these I feel absolutely fine.:yesyes:

I have started taking the pills in the evenings as I was feeling quite tired/light headed after taking them after breakfast. This is woking fine, and I a sleeping well and no other effects.

This forum scared me to death when I was first prescribed the tablets, but I wish I had gone on them sooner.

Be strong folks, listen to the GP - they spent more years in med school than the rest of us!

Keeping fighting back folks ..... the longest journey starts with the smallest step!

sazmatazz
16-08-09, 17:42
Hi again everyone, well... citalopram hasn't been a success for me!
My side effects died off after a week or 2 however after taking them for a month I felt no different whatsoever.
I was advised by my doc to stop taking them - I've now been off them for 4 days and I feel exactly the same as I did when I was on them, and before I started taking them! It would appear they absolutely do not work for me.
Back at work and finding things very very hard, so just waiting to go back and see my doctor next week to see what the next step is really.
I also have an initial appointment with a counsellor on the 24th Aug.
It's a shame I can't give cital a glowing review but maybe my story might be of use to someone in some way anyway!

suzy-sue
16-08-09, 18:06
Just out of interest Sazmataz what dose were you on and what did you get them perscribed for ? They can take longer than 4 weeks to work ,and many people have to up their dose at least once to find the correct dose . Thanks Sue x

Original
16-08-09, 18:25
Hi,

This is my 1st post and i am writing on behalf of my hubby who is the one on the Citalopram (20mgs). I found this site as i wanted to research what he was prescribed. He has suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for about 9 years but it is not totally clear why it started. He had managed to get a handle on it for years apart from the odd attack and not being able to go on holiday abroad but in about January of this year he began to feel ill again and then shortly after we lost a baby at 13 weeks and this has brought on the most severe attacks he has ever had - i'm desperate for some advice as i cant stand to see him so distraught, he has been on the tablets for 2 weeks and the side effects seem to have made him worse than ever, he's being sick, sweats, diarrehea, shakes and increased panic. He says he feels better after about 5pm but he's ill up until then; he takes them in the evening. He's also been signed off work and he's worried he might not be able to go back which is obviously increasing the anxiety. He's such a happy, funny person who has a job he loves but this is taking him over - how long should we give the tablets to work? I've also heard they affect fertility in men and this has also concerned him? Anyone got any thoughts?

Lion King
16-08-09, 20:46
Hi Original,

Citalopram does make the anxiety worse for the first few weeks, it took me upto 6 weeks to feel better on this, the side effects faded away after 3 weeks. I used to take my meds on a night time but found I had disrupted sleep, so I switched to the morning and felt much better since. I was signed off work during this period and I was afraid that I would never get better and be able to go back to my job as a manager, but after 4 months off I recovered well enough to get back to work which was my goal all along. I have CBT and I am on 40mg citalopram and take vitamin B supplement which has aided my recovery, but during my recovery I had to learn to take each day one at a time instead of thinking of just all of a sudden I would be back to normal.

Sorry to hear the bad news of losing your baby, I'm sure this can be seriously distressing. This will have almost certainly added to your husbands anxiety. I haven't heard anything about fertility being affected, I will check this out as me and my partner are going to try for a second baby but I don't think it does.

Anyway hope you both well

LK

Original
18-08-09, 18:55
Hi Lion King,
Thanks for your posting - i showed it to my husband and i think he feels a little more reassured. He seems a little better today but like you say we'll take each day as it comes, he's going to a review appt tomorrow about CBT and then back to the doctors on Thursday and i think she'll sign him off again for a couple of weeks and see how he is then. I think i'll get him some Vit B as you suggest as well. I feel reassured that you're also going to try for a baby whilst on the medication so good luck with that. If you find anything out about the fertility thing please add a posting.

Cheers
Original

Lion King
19-08-09, 13:07
Hi Original,

Glad my post was helpful.

When I took time off work, I had to make a conscious decision to put myself first instead of putting work in front of my mental health problems. I felt guilty at first but then I had to realise that I had a serious problem that could potentialy get worse if I didn't address what my issues were.

The recovery takes as long as it takes, I heard people get better in a couple of weeks, a month amd so forth, some people just recover quicker than others dependant on how severe there stress, anxiety and depression is.

During my time off I spent alot of time learning relaxation techniques to calm my nerves, tension and mind chatter, when I felt relaxed enough I would then start challenging my thoughts to turn the negative automatic thought process around. CBT was really helpful in this, but it takes effort on your own part to aid your own recovery. I have had about 9 sessions and I am feeling alot better, I found that CBT sorted out my muddled up thinking and helped me put an outside perspective on things so that I could assess situations from a positive/realistic point of view to manage situations.

Hope the assessment goes well and keep posting, there are plenty of members that have some brilliant advice.

Hope you both well.

LK

billsters
19-08-09, 21:54
I think I might have turned the corner .. after 3 weeks on Citalopram, taking about 6mg (not the whole tablet), and feeling terrible at first.

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday, mooching around exploring a village (I had to go there for work), not getting angsty when I was walking in the sun (I tend to scuttle into the shade and can't bear the sun for even a few seconds, but I was fine) or getting puffed out walking uphill (I'm reasonably fit, but I get scared of having a heart attack if I'm out and my heart rate goes up). I felt carefree for the first time in ages.

I wondered if it was a fluke, started to "come down" last night, rather like when I used to take recreational drugs, but instead of getting panicky, I just wound down and went to bed.

Today started flat, but I went to the gym and pushed myself a bit (again, not getting "heart attack" signals on the treadmill) and felt fantastic, really enjoyed the cycle home and waved hello to a neighbour I've been scuttling past ... it felt like the true me coming back, and made me realise just how long I've been struggling.

Too early to say yet .. I will make a CBT appointment tomorrow and keep you posted.

NoPoet
19-08-09, 22:14
Hi everyone, no-one moaned about citalopram more than I did. I had a shocking time getting onto it even though I was on a low dose (20mg).

During my first week the citalopram was definitely counter productive. My axniety became 3 times worse.

I found that within 14-21 days my side effects started to come down to tolerable levels and during this time my anxiety attacks stopped and my sleeping returned to normal (no more 4am starts with horrible chest sensations as if I couldn't breathe).

By the end of the 3rd week on citalopram people were telling me I resembled my old self.

I had plenty of blips over the next couple of months. They were nasty to begin with but each one was not quite as bad as the one before.

It wasn't until week 6 when I was certain the citalopram was working full steam ahead.

I still get side effects after 5 months on citalopram but I am almost back to normal -- better, even, as I have learned a lot of self-discipline during my time as an anxiety sufferer, and I have discovered the power of inositol and hypnotherapy ;)

Check my citalopram survival guide. It took me 3 months of research and suffering to put that behemoth together. I'm working on an improved version.

Dreams
19-08-09, 23:50
Hi,

I have new to this forum and have read with interest the side effects of Citalopram. I have been on a dose of 20mg for approx 2-3 months.

I have been v lucky, i had a dry mouth, consequently drank more fluid and I lost weight. I have felt much better. Having been on Fluoxetine a few times before with no benefit, this seems to really be helping. For those that have experienced some nasty side effects - hang in there. It seems that we are affected differently. Although what works for me may not work for you and vica versa.

Although i have a few questions of my own. One thing i have noticed recently as that i am requiring more sleep. I drive alot and am finding that i have to stop for a power nap despite 7-8 hrs sleep a night. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Do you think drinking alcohol regularly affects the ability of the drug to work?

thanks.

NoPoet
20-08-09, 00:44
I don't think alcohol makes as much difference to citalopram as other drugs, but regular alcohol intake will not help at all since alcohol is a depressant. I noticed that I was more tired on citalopram for the first few weeks and then my energy levels improved.

Button
20-08-09, 12:45
Hi.

thought I would give my two-pennies worth. :-)

I was on 20mg a day back in 2004. I took it for 9 months before I stopped cold turkey. My side effects were the following:

- jittery twitchiness
- kind of tightly wound feeling of tension all over
- constant yawning
- emotional numbness
- complete inability to achieve orgasm
- lack of appetite
- inability to make decisions about anything ever

Many people who I knew at the time said I was a different person whilst I was on them. People I met in the time I was on them said I changed completely when I came off of them.

The problem is... They don't SOLVE anything. They make everything numb and meaningless and when you come off them, you revert back to how you were feeling when you went on them. Counselling all the way!!!!

suzy-sue
20-08-09, 12:57
I felt every thing was numb and meaning less before I WAS ON THEM .They have made me feel normal again .Better than I have for years .I have been taking them since October and despite a bad start with side effects I can say Im glad I stuck it out .I didnt drink for 8months ,but now I can have the odd couple at the w/e without any problems afterwards.You need to know your limits ,its like having double the ammount and can make you tired ..Sue

NoPoet
21-08-09, 13:06
Personally I have struggled on citalopram and although it has helped me, if I could go back in time knowing what I know now I'd have tried a combination of inositol and hypnotherapy right from the beginning, instead of going onto an SSRI.

Lixuz
26-08-09, 04:52
Hi,

This thread is a very popular search result for citalopram so I thought I'd give my experience of it in here.

I'm suffering from depression without any reason/cause behind it. I used to suffer from anxiety but not so much anymore (never took anything for it but was offered Citalopram under the name of Cipramil at the time). I don't get a lot of joy out of anything. I don't look forward to anything and find everything a pretty meaningless. Just living feels like a effort sometimes. I'm coming round to thinking that the way I think (beyond my will)is wrong and need to get better. It's all about confusing and no-one seems to understand at all.
Been on citalopram for almost a month now. Had a few good days but overall has made just a little improvement. Started on 20mg and haven't suffered any significant side effects at all. I get days when I crave chocolate and sugary things which is strange for me because I'm not really a sweet person. Appetite has come back slightly. Bit of tiredness. Nothing too bad at all though. This is just my personal opinion but I believe that serious anxiety eventually leads onto depression like what happened to me. So get it sorted quick! You don't want to feel like I do. Will keep you updated on my progress for anyone who is interested.

Out of interest. Has anyone had any positive effects from taking any of the following and what effect did they have on you?(please mention what your suffering from also):
Vitamin D3
Omega 3
Glutamine
Acetly-l-carnitine
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Arginine

Lixuz
26-08-09, 05:01
Wheres my post gone? Not happy. Trying to help people here! Type it out again later

fucili49
26-08-09, 17:48
Hi, my name is Debbie.. I have been on citalopram for about a yr now! I have not had any side effects that I know of, but unfortunately it doesn't do much for my panic, I have had panic disorder for 24 yrs! and it is so hard to live with.. but it can be done!! I'm still here lol... but I just can't handle it anymore, now I have this suffocating feeling its a new symptom it scares me to death, if anyone has any advice! I sure would appreciate it..

kirstielu
28-08-09, 15:31
hi ,im so glad that other people are experiancing similiar side affects ,im on 10mg and i feel like i cant breath , its my anixiety I know that but it has felt worse since being on the tablets ,im in in my first week ,so its encouraging to see ,that things do improve ,it puts my mind at rest now . I have been put on them to help with my panic attacks I experiance when falling into a sleep ,and they too have been worse but now I know why .:)

nomorepanic
28-08-09, 16:17
Wheres my post gone? Not happy. Trying to help people here! Type it out again later

All first posts are moderated. It explains it in the welcome PM and also when you submit the post it says that it will be moderated.

hope that helps.

keepsmiling
29-08-09, 12:01
Hi All!

Stumbled onto this website and it's been a great library of information.

It's my second day on Citalopram (20mg), feeling a bit spacey, funny tummy and a little on edge - all bearable :)
First off, I'm a husband/dad in my late 30's with a great career. I've no issues with my image or how other people percive me, my wife is great and life couldn't be sweete,that is until ......

I was really worried and somewhat felt defeated when I visited my local GP, but afterwards I was over the moon that I wasn't losing my marbles. Theses feelings of paranoia and anxiety where never part of my out-going persona, they've just crept up on me over the past 9+ months. Think I choose to ignore them, being a stubborn male, but that prove the totally wrong thing to do. My family life has taken a nose dive, I've lost all interest in work which ain't good as I'm a consultant engineer and I've lost interest in life generally.

I'm not expecting miracles with these meds but it has truly lifted a fog around me (figuratively speaking!).
Would appreciate hearing other working dad's and mum's experiences and how it's helped them.
Here's to a great future!:bighug1:

keibaz
29-08-09, 17:49
Well I have been on Citalopram for just over three months now, the doctor also insists that I take propranolol (Beta Blocker) at the same time, does anyone else have to do this?
When I first started on 10mg I did feel slightly sick but that soon passed and I cant say I have had any nasty side effects since I have been on 20mg.they do upset me if I take them on an empty stomach, so now I have a good excuse for a hearty breakfast!! The only possible effect I have is memory loss i.e not remembering what I have gone into a shop for and I do have to write things down now as a reminder to do them and I do still get some mild paranoia and need to avoid busy places at times, but generally I am finding life much easier.
I still visit the doctor on a monthly basis and have a psycological test every three months .

My partner is really understanding and a great help in lifting my spirits

Bazza

keibaz
29-08-09, 18:01
Hi All!

It's my second day on Citalopram (20mg), feeling a bit spacey, funny tummy and a little on edge - all bearable :)
First off, I'm a husband/dad in my late 30's with a great career. I've no issues with my image or how other people percive me, my wife is great and life couldn't be sweete,that is until ......

I was really worried and somewhat felt defeated when I visited my local GP, but afterwards I was over the moon that I wasn't losing my marbles. Theses feelings of paranoia and anxiety where never part of my out-going persona, they've just crept up on me over the past 9+ months. Think I choose to ignore them, being a stubborn male, but that prove the totally wrong thing to do. My family life has taken a nose dive, I've lost all interest in work which ain't good as I'm a consultant engineer and I've lost interest in life generally.

I'm not expecting miracles with these meds but it has truly lifted a fog around me (figuratively speaking!).
Would appreciate hearing other working dad's and mum's experiences and how it's helped them.
Hi

Give the tablets plenty of time to work, I to lost interest in everything, the family and work especialy, but you should find that life starts to return to normal (if not better than normal) after a few months , you may find mild memory loss i.e what have I come in this shop for or what was i giong to do next ,I do find I need to write a list now.
You may have been better off starting on 10mg and increasing to 20mg after 2 weeks, they do upset me if I take them on a empty stomach .

I'm sure you will feel the benefit in a few weeks , let us know how your doing

Bazza

carterjonas
31-08-09, 16:07
Hi,

I was prescribed these by my GP last Thursday so I am on day 5 at the momet. I take mine at 9:30 and have noticed that my anxiety has been worse whilst on these, just hope it gets better. I'm seeing my GP on Thursday anyway so we'll see how it is by then. By the way I'm on 10mg for anic/anxiety.

Anyone have recommendations for sleeping? I'm finding it hard to drop off and maintain any decent sleep at the moment.

Lion King
31-08-09, 23:00
If its 9.30 in the morning then that is fine, taking them at night disrupted my sleep. Other than that I learned to relax with meditation and listening muscle relaxation cd's.

Hope this helps.

LK

sarah jayne
01-09-09, 08:29
ive been on citalopram for 2 weeks and ive had the worst headaches ive ever had, i really want to stop taking them because i cant handle any more but i dont want to have come this far for nothing so im trying to carry on.....x

carterjonas
01-09-09, 16:04
It's weird how different people get different side effects, I think we should at least give them a go and see how they go.

bassplayer
02-09-09, 10:13
I'm confused because I started Citalopram almost 3 weeks ago for depression and mild anxiety and for the first 2 weeks I had slight side effects of mainly tiredness, clenching my jaw and nausea but nothing too bad and so thought I'd got off lightly after reading what others have to go through.
However for the last few days the anxiety has gone through the roof and is worse than it's ever been, I would have accepted this as a normal side effect had it happened as soon as I started the tablets but it seems weird to have been fine and have this happen after 2 weeks.
Is it normal to have delayed side effects, has this happened to anyone else?

Elisabeth
02-09-09, 13:13
Hello everyone. From all the comments re Citalopram side effects I feel slightly better that I am not alone.
A few years ago I started Citalopram and had about 3 weks of hell, panic attacks like no others. My lovely doctor kept reassuring me that it was the side effects and it would improve- She was right but was unbelievable hard to see that at the time.
Recently my panic attacks have increased and I have had my dosage upped to 40mg from 20mg. Last night I was back to the horrors of night sweats- uncontrolable feelings etc. I know in the light of day- and after reading all these- that it is the side effects, but I know tonight will be just the same- any ideas?
Thank you.

Grümpy Kε√
02-09-09, 17:34
I am so glad I have found this forum , I was put on 20mg by the doctor some 12 weeks ago and they did very little to riase me out of my depression , 3 weeks ago he raised the dosage to 40mg ,
I still get the side effects , Headaches, sweating , feeling confused and blah blah , I am still trying to read all the posts ( I have only skipped through, most of you will understand as the concentration level is rubbish )
I am in the deepths at the moment and need to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Kev

aircooled
03-09-09, 07:10
Hi All!

hi im glad im not alone on this one been my second day today in the same boat as yourself feeling s and emotions. Been working from home to past 6 weeks due to a injury 1 day after promotion but i have been involved in a project now for 10 months.And when i think about it i really havent been myself pressures and all that but im glad in a way i spotted your post and it mirrors my experiences as well .

marc

Oddfish
03-09-09, 19:56
I'm confused because I started Citalopram almost 3 weeks ago for depression and mild anxiety and for the first 2 weeks I had slight side effects of mainly tiredness, clenching my jaw and nausea but nothing too bad and so thought I'd got off lightly after reading what others have to go through.
However for the last few days the anxiety has gone through the roof and is worse than it's ever been, I would have accepted this as a normal side effect had it happened as soon as I started the tablets but it seems weird to have been fine and have this happen after 2 weeks.
Is it normal to have delayed side effects, has this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me too. I was taking them for depression and had never really suffered from anxiety, but four weeks in I suddenly developed severe anxiety. It went away after about a week though.

coco81
04-09-09, 17:26
I have also just been prescribed Citalopram and I am actually looking forward to taking it. I'm not looking forward to the side effects though, but my Dr just said to persevere as they do get better..so I will try! I am signed off work just now too, so that will help as I don't have the worry of having side effects at work / in public.

I don't start taking them until Tues though as my Husband is away just now and my Dr said it wouldn't be a good idea to start them while he is away incase i do have bad side effects..I am eager to start them though as I hate feeling so anxious - it's got really really bad lately.

I will keep you all posted xx

Boo
04-09-09, 18:29
I started taking citalopram (20mg) this week for post natal depression which I've been battling with for the past 5+ months. Likewise I found on the first dose I was soooo giddy and thought I was going to be sick. I felt awful especially thinking I just want to get better; mentally, and these tablets are making me feel so bad that I can't possibly keep taking them yet I can't keep feeling so sad and anxious too. Anyway, I persisted to take them the next day and the next and I can honestly say, not even a week into taking them, I feel sooo much better and the side effects aren't so bad at all now. My moods have lifted unbelievably. I find if I take them pretty much when I first wake up (ie about 7am) then sit down and relax with a drink and some breakfast that when I get up and about I feel ok. Also I find a little walk after an hour or so of taking them helps A LOT! Although I must admit my concentration has gone to pot and I feel tired its really nowt compared to the horrible feelings I was experiencing without the tablets.

Dawnyx
07-09-09, 21:03
Hi I just joined as I was looking up Citalopram and found this site, I ve been put on this due to tragically loosing my 19 year old Son to an idiot who had no licence ...anyway...I have read alot of comments and its quite scary....im getting all them side effects and im not even taking this drug yet !!! so what he hell will happen wen I do start taking them...people have said that it keeps them awake at night...I wanted something to make me sleep !! I have explained to the GP i wanted something to help me sleep, anybody have any thoughts???...

amanda88
08-09-09, 15:16
Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused right now. I cannot remember how long exactly I have been taking Citalopram but I know it's between 2 - 2 and half years. I started taking 10mg when first taking them, then couple of months ago I decided to lower the dose to 5mg a day, which the doctor confirmed was ok. But recently for last few weeks or shall I say months, I have been feeling really down, anxious and really really panicy all the time, finding it hard to rest at night. I have OCD and that has got worse aswell. I'm just wondering if there is someone out there that has lowered from 10mg to 5mg like me and is scared to go back up to 10mg because don't want to be ill. My doctor said it is very unlikely to get the side affects when uping them because they are already in my system and have been for nearly 3 years but i'm still scared and worried that they may make me ill, i'm a very worrying person, but i can't help it x

coco81
09-09-09, 14:10
I started Citalopram this morning, so will see how it goes. I don't know if it's my mind or what, but about an hour or so after taking them I felt really really sick, but wasn't actually sick, then I went really cold, my heart was racing and my limbs feel so relaxd I can barely clench my hands to fists -which I constantly do due to anxiety. It's the same feeling I get when I've been drinking alcohol -without it affecting my head! I've also felt like my throat has closed up - again another anxiety symptom I sometimes get.

I feel find now though, but still have the very relaxed, heavy limbs - but I don't mind that feeling! I still feel my throat it tight and closed up slightly, but I've also noticed my tongue is constantly pressed hard on the roof of my mouth (something someone pointed out on here), so I have to keep checking myself to put it back down again!

lonely leanne
09-09-09, 14:34
Hi, im new to this site. i was prescibed citalopram so thought i would look it up, i really wish i hadnt now. everyone is talking about how bad 10mg and 20mg are i have been given 40mg!! i am now too scared to take the tablet! i know everyone reacts differently but i just need some advise.
My doctor said if i take before bed you feel better is that true?
are the side affects so unbearable im looking at time off work!? i have big meetings coming up and i just cant do that!

suzy-sue
09-09-09, 16:52
I dont honestly know what your Dr was thinking about perscribing such a high starting dose .The best way to start is with small doses and rising .in 5-10mg to the aquired level.You will not know how you respond to 10mg let alone 40mg.You may find 20or 30 may work for you as well .Each dose takes 4-6 weeks to stabilise and its a slow process sometimes .You may get side effects you may not ,if you dont you can increase at a quicker pace .Have you changed your perscription yet ? It wont matter what time you start taking them to start with .but evenings suit me better .I had every side effect going and I wouldnt have been able to attend meetings ,I started on 10mg .. Sue x

lonely leanne
10-09-09, 08:31
so i took half last night making my dose 20mg after i spoke 2 my friend who is a chemist he said that would b ok. every time i yawn i feel sick, i woke up more in the night than i used to! already!!! n this morning my mouth is so dry i can barely swallow, i almost feel like im not really in my body! can anyone advise me on how long this is going to last! please?

suzy-sue
10-09-09, 12:46
It does wear off .usually between 2-3 weeks ,some times earlier .Its common to loose your appetite ,So drink smoothies and complan to ensure you are getting some nutrition .Eating tiny ammounts of food throughout the day helps ,I couldnt eat properly for a couple of weeks ...When my appetite came back it came back with a vengeance ,but that has normalised too ..All the best hun luv Sue x

KK77
10-09-09, 12:47
Side effects with citalopram passed after a week or so with me - in fact was very mild compared to some of the other ones l've been...

lonely leanne
11-09-09, 08:09
so day 2 and i have uncontrollable shakes, dizziness, i still feel sick wen i yawn or burp or sneeze so thats a bit odd. i do think i fell asleep a bit faster last night ( not sure if that was just a coincidence or not!?) but woke up a few times in the night. i can handle feeling like this for a week or so if it makes me feel better in the long run! x