Thread: Citalopram and high blood pressure

Citalopram and high blood pressure

Hi all....

Back again for round 2. Was on Cit 8 months ago and stupidly stopped on about week 8 (as I was feeling better!!!)
    Anyway been fine for a few months but due to work stresses, a house move and what seems to be constant health anxiety I think its time to start again.

Question is : has anyone with high blood pressure ( constantly around the 148/85 mark) noticed a drop in the pressure being on Cit?

I know as far as high blood pressures go it isnt too serious but as my dad died of a heart attack its a constant worry for me ( made worse by the fact I have a monitor at home and have been recording my pressures for a few days now - reason being that when I visit the GP the readings seem lower on their equipment, but im usually more relaxed in the drs chair than I am at home alone worrying about heart attacks or strokes!!)

Also wondering if Citalopram comes in 5mg doses or do you have to break a 10mg tab in half? My first time on Cit I was put straight on 20mg a day and had every side effect for about 3 weeks and dont want to go thru that again but would rather start on say 5 and go up by 5 every week or two until im at the 20.

Thanks for reading this - Dan

Re: Citalopram and high blood pressure

Hi sorry cant help on blood pressure front but u cant get cit in 5mg so i brought a pill cutter and cut a 10 in half cause there so small u cant snap them or cut them with a knife! Good idea starting on 5mg as this is my 2nd time on them and really suffered with side effects, good luck x x

Thanks for the reply Nicola - I know the brand Boots stock are oval with a dent in the center that makes it easy to snap in half. Will get Dr to prescribe me 10mgs then and just break em.
    How long you been back on them?

Yeah the 20's r oval with dents down but the 10's r small and round! Been bk on them 10 wks upped to 30mg 2 wks ago, its been a rocky road but hopefully im gettin there x x

Quote Originally Posted by nicola1980 View Post
    Yeah the 20's r oval with dents down but the 10's r small and round! Been bk on them 10 wks upped to 30mg 2 wks ago, its been a rocky road but hopefully im gettin there x x
    Well good luck with that. Just read your post about the beta blockers. hope they work for you too

Im no longer using them they didnt work for me at all x x

dan you could ask you gp for citalopram in liquid form, you put drops in orange juice, and can take as little as 2mg, i had it once whilst coming off them, may be worth a try x

Citalopram can lower your BP I don't know whether it was because you are more relaxed not sure.

My BP machine showed a higher reading as I took it to my gp yesterday. My BP was ok with her monitor. But when she took it with mine the bottom number read higher. She said there had been some controversey about over the counter BP monitors. She asked me where I bought it and how much was it I said £20 and I got it from chemist. I asked her how much they pay for theirs and she said about £70 to a £100. I have terrible white coat syndrom but I was more relaxed at the gps yesterday than at home. So I am a bit like you. Do you take BP tablets. and is your BP usually 148/85? Mine is ok if I could just relax.

Cathy xx

Thread Information