Thread: Ex-Cip user thinking of returning....

Ex-Cip user thinking of returning....

(I also posted this on General Anxiety bit...)

Hello again

It has been more than 18 months since I wrote on this site – although I have dipped in to read on many occasions – but the fact I am back is because I am not in a very good place again and I know getting active with this site is part of the recovery process.

I see this as a place we can talk to people who truly understand, a place we don’t have to pretend, and a place we can feel safe. And it is also a place where we can hopefully feel inspired to fight back.

My last regular venture on the site was to record my ‘return to the meds’ after I found that without meds I was losing what I call my ongoing DAPS battle (that’s fighting against Depression, Anxiety, Panic and Stress).

I had been on Cipralex a couple of times with some success over the years but even though I have had decent periods of post-med ‘remission’ the problems just wouldn’t go away. So last May I started the tabs again. Then stopped. Then started again. And I recorded all my confusion here about ‘should I med or should I not’ and had some excellent debate and support at the same time. You can read it here...

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74763

Well, moving forward I have now been 18 months or so off the tablets but not, unfortunately, 18 months without my DAPS. For many of those months I coped OK due to a major boost in my private life but in the last six months especially things have gotten really tough again and in the lead up to Christmas I felt as bad as I could ever remember.

And yet still I tried to do it myself and fight the battle without any medical/practical support. If I could have a good Christmnas maybe, just maybe, I will be fine again in January I thought...

Well Christmas/New Year has come and gone and the hopes I had that the holiday period would relax me enough to put me in a good place have not been realised. I am now back at work – in a high-profile job which is hard to ‘’hide’ in – and I feel utterly terrible again. And so I know that I have to do 'something' but I just don't know what. Ignoring it no longer seems a viable option - I have that horrible nagging anxiety all day, depressive thoughts all the time and I am totally in fear that I just can’t cope.

So I am back again and wondering (aloud here) if I should go back on the meds?

I know some of you reading this may be annoyed/amazed at my reluctance but I just got really hit by the side effects last time and I am worried that if the same thing occurs again I am not strong enough to cope. I am proud of the fact that I have managed (somehow) to stay working throughout my DAPS although at times it has been very, very hard but I am just frightened that at this time as I feel so weak I may not have the strength to deal with it all.

I know no-one else can make the meds decision for us but I just wanted to post today to say hello again and just get any advice/ideas from others who have been in my position before - can we beat this alone or is meds the only answer?

Your support – as ever – will be welcome and I hope whatever I decide to do I will be able to help others again on this special and important site.

Regards

Sam (The Raven)

Re: Ex-Cip user thinking of returning....

You have done so well.

Do not put yourself down for anything.

The fact that you can use the meds and come off them is amazing to me - and unattainable.

However, are u letting them be in ur system long enough (i.e more then a few weeks/months) if you are then maybe you need to be moved to another drug? I really don't know i'm afraid.

I am just so inspired by you getting off tablets at all. Well done you. And I know once you TALK TO YOUR DOC and you both agree the right treatment for you, you will do great. Feel free to PM me for anything

Re: Ex-Cip user thinking of returning....

Hiya Sam
    I understand exactly how you feel about going back on cipralex and how bad the side effects are, having been on them myself twice for 10 years. It took 9 months to wean off them cutting them from 5mg at a time, with terrible withdrawal. I would try an alternative. My Dr prescribed vitamin b6 3 weeks ago and my anxiety has subsided, my panic attacks are still lurking but i keep my mind busy and do something to stop thinking about it, even if i have to leave the room, i dont feel as stressed.
    I too was thinking of going back on medication (cipralex) as i knew this med would work but for the side effects and withdrawals, im too scared to, so im seeing how i am on vitb6 for 3 months, so far, so good.
    hope this has helped.

Thread Information