Thread: Do not ask for medical advice on NMP!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Do not ask for medical advice on NMP!!

I am sure that you didn't mean it to sound so abrupt venus, but it does, and so the message gets lost somewhere.
    Vx

Hi all,

I agree about avoiding giving medical advice. I also don't think I am looking for reassurance when I post on this site, in fact, my GP says that reassurance is not the answer and that, after an appropriate medical evaluation, we need to become more comfortable with living with uncertainty. Ironic really, because the subliminal messages I pick up from our NHS is that EVERYTHING needs checking out!!!!

I am looking for a bit of empathy on these pages (I get a sense of what's it's like for you and how you feel) and sympathy (I know, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt and know what it's like). And tips on how to cope with the waiting for test results and evaluations when there are symptoms.

Health anxiety has exploded because of the increasing medicalisation of our health. For example, the new, draft DSM V (American Diagnostic and statistical manual vs. 5, which gives medical professionals guidelines for diagnosis of mental health issues) is causing controversy amongst doctors, psychologists and other health professionals internationally because it classifies 'mental health' issues such as bereavement and pre-menstrual syndrome as requiring mental health drug treatment. Good grief!

Cerridwen

Quote Originally Posted by cerridwen View Post
    Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of empathy on these pages (I get a sense of what's it's like for you and how you feel) and sympathy (I know, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt and know what it's like). And tips on how to cope with the waiting for test results and evaluations when there are symptoms.

Cerridwen
    Exactly you have hit the nail on ther head of what NMP and this thread are about.....Reassurance and help for you panic and not for diagnosis.

it is fine to say........'I am panicking because I have this symptom please could you help me by reassuring me with your experiences and help me calm down'

but not... 'I have this symptom/lump/pain etc can you tell me what it is please so I do not worry about it anymore or go to the doctors about it'

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thread Information