Thread: Been to the doctor & prescribed amoxicillin - now scared to take it!

Been to the doctor & prescribed amoxicillin - now scared to take it!

Well I've been to the docs and she said I have a sinus/ear infection and has prescribed me amoxicillin.
    It is the 500mg dose which it says on the leaflet is for more severe infections (worrying in itself) I am to take for 7 days, 3 times a day.
    I always hate taking pills and antibiotics in case I become ill or develop an allergic reaction.
    Is this a rare occurance? I read seizures on the list of side effects and so that worries me along with confusion and skin rashes.
    Has anyone had any bad experiences?

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Been to the doctor & prescribed amoxicillin - now scared to take it!

I've taken this a couple of times having been prescribed it by my dentist after some dental treatment.

I had no problems and it worked a treat.

Pip x

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have taken it a few times and had no side effects. You must complete the course for it to be effective. My husband always tells me not to read up on the side effects or I will think I have them! They have to list side effects to cover them selves but they are very rare.

take the tablets Girl afraid

Hi
    If you look at my posts i posted a post about Amoxicillin the other day lol!! I had it prescribed to me on Tuesday by the dentist.

I have to take one every 8 hours. 500mg. They are really big tablets thats what worried me aswell.

I thought i was going to have allsorts, i find it best not to read the leaflets because i made a push and i took them, and i have had no side effects what so ever, and some people i know and family have took them and had none also, i realise they have to put stuff down but side affects and that are very rare when u ask around not many people have serious one.

I would honestly take them, after a couple of days taking mine i started to feel better and can tell its clearing up, so take the whole course try not to worry. Some people also commented on my post about this if u wanna read x

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAfraid23 View Post
    Well I've been to the docs and she said I have a sinus/ear infection and has prescribed me amoxicillin.
    It is the 500mg dose which it says on the leaflet is for more severe infections (worrying in itself) I am to take for 7 days, 3 times a day.
    I always hate taking pills and antibiotics in case I become ill or develop an allergic reaction.
    Is this a rare occurance? I read seizures on the list of side effects and so that worries me along with confusion and skin rashes.
    Has anyone had any bad experiences?
    Hi,I have taken this anti-biotic many times for different things, it is classed as a " blanket " anti-biotic as it treats many things,I have never had a bad reaction from this one and would not be afraid to take it, it is a very common medication and I am sure your sinus/ear infection will clear within the seven days, but you must take all the tablets over the prescribed course of time even if you feel better before you finish them which I am sure you will, those side effects printed in the paper inside are only there because they have to do this, but it does not mean you will get any of the side effects, stop worrying and take the tablets and you will be glad you did after a day or two, good luck, I wish you well, I do know what it is like to worry though,

I have a huge vomiting phobia and so if I am prescribed any medication, I instantly read the side effects to see if nausea and vomiting are a side effect and if so, I get extremely anxious about taking them.

I did read however somewhere that even if just one single person has a side effect from medication that noone else reports, it does have to go on the information as a possible side effect.

I agree with Annie that it is best to not worry too much about the side effects, if you read them, you are going to be looking for them and will end up finding something.

At the end of the day, you are poorly and have been told to take the tablets to make you better, I completely understand your anxiety but you need to get better.

I am sure that you will be fine

Been taking this the last few days for a chest infection.. also taking it before and never had a problem.. you'll be fine.

Thread Information