Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repressed/buried emotions

Repressed/buried emotions

Has anyone looked into or researched about whether anxiety/depression is caused by buried emotions which have been repressed and not dealt with from earlier years?

Re: Repressed/buried emotions

I really think that is part of the cause for me, my counsellor is going through it with me.

I have looked into it in the past and it read something like: Anxiety is formed when an overwhelming situation/s occurs in our childhood. An event/events that our brain at a young age is unable to process or deal with.
    I personally believe it is caused by nature and nurture. I had difficulties in my childhood that were beyond my control, but I also think I was born to be sensitive.
    A very interesting and thought provoking subject!

BobbyDog

Quote Originally Posted by musiclover View Post
    Has anyone looked into or researched about whether anxiety/depression is caused by buried emotions which have been repressed and not dealt with from earlier years?
    Once my meds settle I will be going to see a Pyschotherapist to address this, I had two sessions with her pre-breakdown and childhood was very much on the agenda.

I think it could be one of the causes. The thing is, how would you know if you had repressed memories from your childhood? I can't remember a lot of the negative things that happened when I was a toddler, but my older relatives told me about some of them. I have no recollection of them though.

I had an amazing childhood but my parents did divorce when I was 5 and I do remember my mum being stressed alot but we always had the best of everything and never wanted for nothing. My dad passed away when I was 18 and anxiety has recently been triggered by the passing of my nan (mum's mum) I don't recall of anything of extreme trauma as a child. I don't recall of my parents arguing in my presence etc but I know my older siblings do. I wonder if this could of effected me. I do get this overall uneasy feeling that I relate to waking up in the night in fear for no reason as a child. Not fear of anything in particular. I wasn't a child afraid of the dark and have/had very loving parents. I just would think about death and things like that. I think this is common though with children. I always think maybe I have suppressed something. I don't know.

My parents got divorced when I was about 5 as well. My older sisters can remember my parents arguing, but I can't remember much of that. I can mostly only remember the happy events of my early childhood, not the bad events. So maybe I do have repressed thoughts about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkle1984 View Post
    My parents got divorced when I was about 5 as well. My older sisters can remember my parents arguing, but I can't remember much of that. I can mostly only remember the happy events of my early childhood, not the bad events. So maybe I do have repressed thoughts about this.

I have 2 elder sisters too. I wonder what these could be. I don't think they are worth dwelling on. Do you think we can sometimes read too much into things? CBT for eg teaches you to live in the present doesn't it?

I don't mean it to sound like you can only have anxiety if you have repressed emotions, it's just sometimes feelings come up which you can't identify and these can be difficult to deal with if your unaware of where they come from!

I think repressed emotions from a traumatic event in childhood can definitely be a factor in depression and anxiety in alot of people. But, I also just think a tendency to suppress emotion/stress generally can cause a a flare up in anxiety. My counselor has said one thing I need to improve is reaching out and communicating with people when i'm feeling down or stressed etc. I normally don't let anyone know the way i'm feeling till it's getting beyond my control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information