Thread: Driving test extreme anxiety

Driving test extreme anxiety

I have my test in a couple of weeks this is my third attempt and i just can't seem to get the hang of it.
    They are so picky about everything now that its mega hard to pass even if you are reasonbly ok at driving.
    I hate the pressure and panic of the entire thing.
    I start having palpitations whenever thinking about it
    Any ideas what I can do here?

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Driving test extreme anxiety

Hi have you spoke to your doctor about this as i know some doctors do prescribe beta blockers for people who are nervous about their driving tests which will help with the panic and the palpatations, good luck xx

I'm totally in the same bed as you (Metaphorically speaking) - I started learning to drive a year ago and I have had 2 attempts at my test in the past 4 or so months. The first time I failed on a few minor things and the last time (About 2 weeks ago) I failed on a big roundabout that confused me. I had really, really bad nerves before my test and I'd still say it's the most nerve racking thing I have ever done. I can't really give much advice because I was a wreck on the day before and day of each of my tests, but I don't think you can do too much on the day before. The test is just something you do - I couldn't really revise for it. The day of the test I'd say give yourself a few hours to try and calm yourself. Being nervous is natural. I try to work out a little to reduce my anxiety; I also have a light breakfast and a cup of tea. Remember that your instructor will only put you in for the test when you're ready, so (s)he knows you have the skills to pass, it's just about being ready on the day. The pressure and panic always gets to me, too. I don't know when I'll have my 3rd attempt, but I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks guys for your help.

I have thought about asking my GP for help but I don't want to make things worse as I've never taken that kind of medication before for my anxiety.

To make matters worse if I don't pass this time then I will have to re take my theory test as it will have expired by then :( that's another £30.00 and revision of course.
    I really really need to pass and the thing is I can drive, last test I only got 5 minors and the major was for pulling out too soon on a roundabout, making the car behind my brake slightly which I failed for. But I thought this was a little unfair.
    Also the next available test dates are not until March after this, unless I can get a cancellation.
    I really want to pass but the pressure is so intense.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that your driving test is making you so anxious, but I fully understand. I had three goes before I past and I think a lot of it was down to nerves. The last time I took my test, I had almost become bored of it and I wasn't so stressed anymore-I think maybe that helped! It's totally normal to feel anxious before your test though, so to tell you not to be, wouldn't really be helpful, BUT you have to remember that obviously you are ready for your test, as your instructor would otherwise not have suggested you take it. You probably know yourself that you are already a good driver, it's just the nerves that need calming. I would suggest to stay as calm as you can and just relax and listen to the testers instructions as if it were your driving instructor-that's what I tried to do. I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but my instructor always took me on routes which he knew were test routes, so we could practice as much as possible. Is that the same for you? In any event, please don't let your nerves get to you. Good luck and I am sure you will do fine.

Thread Information