Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faster heart beat when I put my attention on it??

Faster heart beat when I put my attention on it??

Hi,

I'm trying to beat my fear of exercising so I've been working out for about a month and I have the bad habit of checking my pulse when I'm exercising and then checking if my heart returns to its normal rhythm about half an hour afterwards. I've noticed that my heart rate seems to go up whenever I want to measure it. Well, I hope that's it or else I might be dying ... Does it ever happen to you?

Re: Faster heart beat when I put my attention on it??

Always, as soon as I or anyone else puts their finger on my pulse it goes up fast and my blood pressure does the same, its a right pain, exercise increases it a bit but feeling it makes it faster, and eating.
    Its great that you are doing something to combat your exercise anxiety I would like to shake your hand, its the best thing to do.

Thanks! I've been in a really bad place since Christmas and I kind of felt that exercising regularly would at least take off some of the shame and guilt of not being able to overcome anxiety... It's not a good reason, but it's the thing that motivates me the most...

Have u ever tried taking your pulse the moment you wake up in the morning? If I try that, the second I think about it, my heart goes faster I am sure. I guess it's like anything, if you focus on it, it gets worse or becomes much more noticeable. I'm sure this is commonplace. I just had a look at "basal pulse rate" and interestingly I read this....

"The basal or resting heart rate is measured while the subject is relaxed but awake, in a neutrally temperate environment, and not having recently exerted himself or herself nor having been subject to a stress or even a surprise (for example the simple noise of a doorbell can augment the heart rate and blood pressure)"

I found that bit about heart rate and blood pressure rising to a simple noise very interesting. No different I suppose to when you are watching sport and it gets exciting, or people who enjoy (!!!!) horror films.... Something makes you jump or you are thrilled by the action.

Or a wow moment when you see something stunning or beautiful. Your heart gives a little kick. I definitely notice my heart speed up, especially if I decide I'll slow it down.... Too much focus and it des the opposite.

Like thinking of fleas makes you itch I suppose!!

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaUK View Post
    Always, as soon as I or anyone else puts their finger on my pulse it goes up fast and my blood pressure does the same, its a right pain, exercise increases it a bit but feeling it makes it faster, and eating.
    Its great that you are doing something to combat your exercise anxiety I would like to shake your hand, its the best thing to do.
    I know lots of people who can't get a proper blood pressure reading t the doctors because going there automatically makes it go up!! I do agree about exercise being helpful. Funny you mention "shaking your hand" as that situation speeds my heart up as it makes me self-conscious!!

Yep. I ended up in the Emergency room with a very fast heart rate after obsessively taking my pulse. My psychiatrist banned me from taking my pulse.

Mines is exactly the same, the minute I concentrate on my heart rate it goes faster. I've thought I've had Angina, Silent Heart Attacks and a whole range of things due to worrying about it. Turns out that's there's hardly any organ that is not affected by the panic hormones that the body produces, not in a way that could hurt you i hasten to add. i get ectopic beats in my heart when im nervous ( feels like my heart has skipped a beat or has one large THUD) apparently it's quite common in GAD and Health Anxiety sufferers and has no reflection on the health of your heart at all, so my doctor says. I've found that since I've stopped taking my heart rate I've felt much more at ease and relaxed, I also sleep better and am trying very hard to put CBT thought process plans into practise. Hope you start to feel easier with your situation soon but the main thing would be to STOP taking your heart rate, it could beat at over 100 BPM for a very long time and still be healthy and Cary you through into old age xx

I promise not to shake your hand then I went Docs this morning as soon as he decided to check my BP my heart rate quickened and BP was 148/80 scares the out of me but he says thats fine as he is more concerned if bottom number goes up? also pulse shot up

Had bad palpatations on tuesday. Went to gp to have ecg and when they did bp it was 190/110. My bp always goes sky high when palps happen... drs at emsrgency not concerned as normalish other times... doesnt stop me worrying though!

It's hard to ignore heart worries, after all, it's the thing that is keeping us alive... But if the doctors are not concerned, I think it's safe to trust them, even more the doctors at the emergency, they see people die every day. They know the dangerous signs.

I get skipped beats and a fast heartbeat regularly and mine also speeds up when I start checking my pulse, which I do every five minutes to be honest. I have also been to A and E with this and after having 4 ECG 's and blood tests have been discharged, I agree with one of the previous posts that hospital doctors know the signs of heart problems and would not discharge people if they thought there was a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information