Thread: sertrline and diazepam

sertrline and diazepam

I'm hoping someone can please help me as I'm stuck! Basically I'm addicted to diazepam and have been for 4 years I'm now taking 15mg a day. I have been on sertrline before but I can't remember if it helped or not!
    I want to come off the diazepam on a slow taper like dropping 1mg a month. The doctors don't know what to do with me so they referred me to a drug substance misuse place (even though I'm not misusing it). They didn't know what to do with me either as they only deal with hard drugs like crack and smack that kind of thing.
    I'm wondering if going on to sertrline would help me in my diazepam taper and also help with the anxiety and depression.

I'm stuck, if the doctors and drug place don't know how to help me what can I do lol.
    I know the start up effects of sertrline are pretty tough and I would need the diazepam to get me through that period. But hopefully once it's kicked in I could start tapering off the diazepam.

Hoping someone can help me please

Re: sertrline and diazepam

I'm no medical expert by a long shot but you'd need to taper of the diazepam very very slowly. There's quite a lot of resources out there on the web but I'd really try and find a doctor who is able to help. I'm so surprised at everyone's response! Diazepam is a class C drug at the end of the day.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal isn't very nice and I don't think the sertraline will help much.

Benzo Buddies
    The Ashton Method

Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is that the doctor was the one that prescribed the diazepam in the first place! Next thing I know I'm dependent on it! I saw my doctor today and she is willing to help me, I've done my research and know of a medication that could help.. pregabiln. Once I'm in the right frame of mind she will help me. I suffer from bipolar disorder and we agreed that going on to antidepressants wouldn't help as that would trigger a manic episode.
    Im very low at the moment but that's due to problems at work and the staff. Once I have found a new job things will be better as I'm good at my job it's just the staff I work with that make it unbearable.

Sorry I've gone totally off topic I know, but now I know that sertrline won't help me. I wish everyone good luck with your sertrline journey as I know it can help wonders for some people.

It's okay to talk! Sounds like you're going through some tough stuff at the moment. Tackle one problem at a time. Starting with your job is probably a good one!

Benzodiazepines are a useful medicine at the end of the day for anxiety. I keep some diazepam to one side for situations where things really go wrong for me.

Don't beat yourself up about it all. Your doctor is helping you and that's all really positive.

Thread Information