Thread: When should I think about upping my dose?

When should I think about upping my dose?

Hi,

I've been on Citalopram 20mg for just over 5 weeks now. The first few weeks were pretty good, but the last two weeks have been full of various setbacks. Anxiety levels have been high and I've had extremely bad derealization and depersonalization. This has led to plenty of intrusive thoughts and fatigue.

Despite this, I feel like my overall depression has actually improved a bit. I was previously bursting into tears once every week, but I haven't cried once since I started on Citalopram. I wouldn't say I've had many good days, just some good hours here and there.

Considering all of this, when should I think about upping my dose? I know they usually say wait 12 weeks before changing meds, but should I also wait that long before changing doses?

Re: When should I think about upping my dose?

I'm feeling like you. Apart from the usual side effects I started to feel much more positive but then I went down with a horrid virus, which I still can't shake off, and the anxiety levels are high again. Very high! I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and he said 20mg was the therapeutic dose and that it was still early days. The past few days I've needed to take 2mg of diazepam to help me through. I suffer from HA and all the worrying thoughts and symptoms have returned. I'm wondering if the cit are really helping but I guess I'll just have to give it another few weeks and see if it improves. I hope you feel better soon. X

I went from 20 to 10 and 5 and today was was horrible, i go back to 10 tonight. Dont play with this poison

This is a question for your doctor really, as nobody can advise people about meds, only share their own experiences. It wouldn't be advisable to increase or decrease a med without your docs knowledge to be honest.

Thread Information