Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol - worth sticking at?

Propranolol - worth sticking at?

Hi all
    I have been taking Propranalol for fortnight at 10mg twice a day which never done a thing so doc put it up to 40mg which i notice has a change in me but i really dont think its for the better!
    I have only been taking this dose for 4 days so wonder if i should stick with it a bit longer?
    My chest and throat feel very tight , anxiety levels are high all day and breathing is hard to catch breath etc. I do not feel any calmer or anything.
    If anyone can advise me please as i am quite confused as what to do now
    Thanks
    N

hi i have been taking propranolol for nearlly 2 weeks and i must tell you it slows my heart rate down and lessens the effect of an attack in fact i am scared to stop taking it now i must admit it makes me feel calmer and think you should sick with it for a while

catherine haley

Hi guys,

Would you keep this post updated over time? My psychiatirst has been talking about this for me (It seems it might be the new PTSD wonder drug). There are issues about availability at this time so I'm carrying on with my current meds.

I'd like to come back to this post and see how people are doing on it :-)

Antipodes

Hi everyone

I've been taking Propanalol since November - 3 x 40 mg per day. It slowed/stopped my palpitations pretty quickly. If I'm having a good day then I only take 2 tablets. On a really bad day I have taken 4 tablets. My understanding is that my script of 3 x 40 mg is actually quite low, so I'm not surprised that 20 mg per day was hardly having an effect (although I don't know your body weight and other medical background - only your GP can know what is corrct for your in his belief).

As a beta blocker I understand propanalol has been around for some time. I don't like being on medication of any type and hope and pray that when my life is in a less stressful situation I can come off the meds quickly. As with any meds, there are side effects - sometimes insomnia and wheeziness; consequently asthmatics are strongly advised not to take it.

Hope this helps.

Sandie

Re: Propranolol - worth sticking at?

Quote Originally Posted by sandie View Post
    My understanding is that my script of 3 x 40 mg is actually quite low, so I'm not surprised that 20 mg per day was hardly having an effect.
    I have just been prescribed Propranolol, 10mg up to 3 times a day and I have to say it's not really having much of an effect, an ever so slight one, but not really enough to make a difference. How would I go about asking for the dosage to be increased? It seems surprisingly low!

I started on 40mg 3 times a day and then went up to 80mg 3 times a day. It worked for me 30 minutes after first taking it and now controls the physical symtoms of my anxiety quite well, I would'nt be without it now !

An update!
    Whilst taking the dose i said before i ended up at casualty fearing i was having a drug reaction to it...yes i know now it was just the old panic attack monster. But..ive had them for years and this one lasted all night! so i thought that this time it really was an illness!!
    Anyway since then they put me on Seroxat which i came off after a month as was horrible for me and now i am on a Proxac equivalent which i am doing ok on. Not great but evened out so i am hopeful. Ive been reading great book by Louise Hay 'Heal your life' and I am having acupuncture so not so bad now.
    Enough rambling....
    Nikki x

Iv just started taking it, I am only taking one a day it hasnt really done much for me apart from make me dizzy!

I have been taking propranolol for 9 days now and Its made me feel weak, depressed nauseaus and agitated is this normal?I have stopped taking them for the time being

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information