Thread: Getting a second opinion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting a second opinion

Has anyone (UK based) got a second opinion?. I'm not happy with my psychiatrist, he keeps throwing medication at me, still hasn't given me a diagnosis of what's going on and only wants to see me every 3 months even though I am so ill I can't live my normal life. I'm having to seek private therapy because he wouldn't refer me any faster than the standard waiting list time of 5 months. Also when I asked to try any other therapies, hypnotherapy, blackbox therapy or acupuncture he just dismisses them and say they won't work. I've looked into it but everything I've read says the NHS isn't legally obliged to give a second opinion but I think I fit under this criteria

"You feel you are treatment resistant. This means that the usual treatments that work for most people are not working for you. Your mental health is not improving. You may be in and out of hospital, or been in hospital for a long time. "

Well I've had to move back with my mum at the age of 31 for 8 months now and I'm not improving at all. However I find it a bit strange that you're supposed to ask your GP or psychiatrist for the second opinion. Surely the Psych is just going to say no.

Re: Getting a second opinion

I haven't other than at GP level a long time ago. I was a child back then and the result was an arsey GP who had a tongue lashing off my mum and then seeing a more up to date GP who prescribed the very medication that the other one wouldn't. This was for asthma when it was not well understood and the second GP actually had it too so was current on treatment. The other one was a bit of a dinosaur and to be fair, the practice improved when he finally retired...his wife on the otherhand was far better! So, is his daughter!

Some NHS info on this here:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/910.aspx?CategoryID=68

Some better info by Rethink here:

http://www.rethink.org/living-with-m...econd-opinions

Thread Information