Thread: Been back to the Dr -Inhaler now

Been back to the Dr -Inhaler now

So I went back to the Dr this morning, mainly because my anxiety is getting the better of me and I'm convinced there's something seriously wrong.

On top of that my son was awake vomiting in the early hours so after barely any sleep, this morning I felt terrible.

The Dr listened to my chest and said it sounds clear, she can't hear anything on my chest but she can hear a bit of a wheeze. She asked lots of questions about my symptoms and said she thinks my hayfever/allergies are aggravating the cough/wheezing and she wants to use a Ventolin inhaler and she also wants me to use a nasal spray twice a day for my hayfever.

I asked about infection she said my temp was normal 37.1 which I thought was high but then I was in a complete state of panic so surprised it wasn't higher. She also said there's nothing on my chest so she doesn't want to give antibiotics and said that to persevere with the spray and ventolin but it could take up to 3 weeks for it all to settle down due to the inflammation of the airways.

I am still coughing phlegm from my throat but it starts off a bit discoloured then clears as the day goes on which from what I've read is fairly normal.

I just wondered does anyone know with Ventolin does it give immediate relief? I know she said 3 weeks to settle but I was just wondering what the effects are after using it, as this is the first time I've had any kind of inhaler. Not sure if it gradually decreases the wheezing or it happens instantly?

thanks

Re: Been back to the Dr -Inhaler now

My husband used ventolin when he had a really bad cough after a virus. He gets coughs so bad sometimes he can't breathe. The way to MD explained it was he irritated his windpipe so much coughing that it stimulated more coughing.

I think it took him about a week on the ventolin to feel real relief. In the beginning he took it with a combo of cough syrup and was able to finally get some sleep in. I don't think he had any side effects though. He did feel a little better in the beginning, but it was more of a gradual effect overall.

Thank you swgrl09 that's what I was wondering, it's just I was thinking straight off it hadn't done anything, although I do think the wheezing has eased a bit.

I did think when she said 3 weeks that she obviously thinks it will take a while to settle, I guess like in your husbands case my constant coughing over the last couple of weeks has probably caused a fair amount of inflammation which isn't going to disappear after a couple of puffs.

thanks

Ventolin is for immediate relief only. It's a "reliever". I have asthma and it is only to be used if I have trouble breathing. Otherwise you use a "preventer" for ongoing treatment of the inflammation that is seen in asthma.

If it's not working then its either ineffective with your condition or you likely don't need it.

Thread Information