Thread: Despite getting the all clear, I still don't feel satisfied!

Thumbs down Despite getting the all clear, I still don't feel satisfied!

This is ridiculous, I know! I had a suspicious mole and a weird scaly red patch on my leg which has been very bothersome in the sense that I think it is something very serious. I paid £140 to see a private dermatologist because doctor said he will only refer me to the minor surgery where they will take a biopsy of the mole which is not until Feburary, and I really cannot let my anxiety take hold of me for that long because I have work to do, and my period is late (non pregnancy related) due to severe stress. I went and saw the dermatologist, who said my moles look absolutely fine and the scaly patch I have is also on my elbow, which he said was a mild form of Psoroasis and has given me a prescription for steroid cream and tablets (which I will collect today). This put me at ease a little, yesterday I was going through the web about skin cancer *facepalm!* and saw a story about this man whose cancer was misdiagnosed and for the life of me, this has started to freak me out again! Why do we do this to ourselves.... This illness is horrific, debilitating and so depressing

Re: Despite getting the all clear, I still don't feel satisfied!

Wait to see how the steroid cream and tablets help. If they do, then you likely got the correct diagnosis.

So...I lurk a lot but don't really post much around here. However, I have horrible, HORRIBLE health anxiety. I'm working through it but there are a few things that help me---

1) I don't give myself a choice but to trust my doctors. I know that the 'thing' on the internet is to be an advocate for yourself and trust your inner gut, etc., but those of us with health anxiety really do not HAVE an inner gut on our health issues. Forcing myself to remember that doctors will face extreme liability if they say "you're fine" when they aren't sure helps me relax a little and allow myself to trust.

2) I am NOT a doctor. I think just because I Google something, it's true. I had a panic attack last week over a small, pen point sized bruise that showed up overnight. It was a perfect circle, and I decided that it was petechiae and I have leukemia. The bruise is basically gone now. From other posts on this board I know that a) it was NOT what I thought it was and b)if it HAD been what I thought, I'd be pretty darn sick. I'm not.

3) I"m making myself follow the "would other people worry about this" rule. I have to gauge as to what "normal" people worry about when it comes to health. Sometimes I say to my sister, "look at this. Would this send you to the doctor?" She usually gives me a crazy look and says, "Uh, no."

Anyway. Trust the doctor on this. The skin cancer websites scare the crap out of you, and want you to check for color change, diameter, etc. I've gone and shown doctors moles that meet ALL the criteria and they stills say fine. Sometimes they biopsy them anyway. They are fine. If this doctor had ANY concern that this was skin cancer, he/she would have an OBLIGATION to let you know and do something.

Hang in. Health anxiety is truly a disability and it's horrible. Allow yourself to trust doctors more and yourself a LITTLE less, and it truly does help.

I'm the exact same with the whole finding a story about misdiagnosed and then you're convinced that's going to be you. I got a shave biopsy done just yesterday which I got the okay from but the doctor told me there are still roots below the skin and even though the mole came up benign, I'm terrified that the roots are somehow cancerous so I'm going to get that removed on Monday via excision and stitches (I have a phobia of needles but this anxiety is too much). The doctor even told me it is unnecessary but at the same time warned there is no solid proof that the base can't be cancerous.

To make matters worse it's under my hair so they'll have to shave that part of my head! What you do to try minimise the anxiety.. and even then I'm sure I'll still be paranoid or I'll find something else on my body to worry about.

I just went to a GP, however you went to a dermatologist so it is much much more likely that your diagnosis is correct. You're getting it removed anyways, for life, and I'm sure it will be fine.

You have health anxiety. Trust your dermatologist and stop looking up skin cancer stories because all you will find is the bad stuff not the hundreds of millions of people who like you went to a dermatologist had their moles looked at got the clear and lived happily ever after. Lol stop looking up horror stories and go watch a new movie.

Typical HA reaction but at least you recognize it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information