Hi All, I'm new to the site. I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before....but any comments would be very much appreciated.

I've been on Paxil for 14 1/2 years (dosage ranged from 20 - 2.5mg). I tried coming off it 6 times (always slow tapering and each time ended unsuccessfully...complete breakdowns etc.)

After reading so much about the Paxil to Prozac switch, I decided to try it and pray that it actually works. My doctor advised me to do the following: take half my dose of Paxil for 3 days (so that was 10mg), then 2 days of nothing, followed by 6 days of 10mg Prozac and then increase to 20mg going forward. I'm on day 7 of full dose at 20mg.

I've had 12 days of terrible headaches and it feels like my scalp / head is burning (on fire). I rang my doctor 3 days ago and told her about the side effects and she told me it was up to me if I wanted to continue on the Prozac but she recommend switching to a MAOI antidepressant. This freaked me out as I guess I was looking for a bit of reassurance from her that I should continue and that things will improve. I asked her about headaches and she said that she told me this would likely happen (I don't remember this at all!) and that she doesn't think these headaches / burning will ever subside. Needless to say my confidence in the transition has hit rock bottom after my talk with her.

I guess my question is...do you think it's too early on in the transition to give up and are these symptoms likely to abate?

Thank you all x