Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TRIGGERS

Re: TRIGGERS

This thing about her displaying OCD tendencies is all well and good, but where is the treatment? Where is the visits to people who can help? Where is the acknowledgement that she has OCD and must try to act in order to help herself?

She wants to talk about every illness but the one she actually has. She point blank refuses to do anything about this. Surely we can't just keep saying "well it's OCD so just carry on." What is the point of this board and indeed this website if people are allowed to comfortably wallow in this type of misery?

Can I also point out that people "not liking" the idea of medication is simply irrelevent to whether or not the person needs medication. I'm fairly certain that in any other type of illness, if medication was required then barely anyone would say "they might not like medication, so it's understandable why they aren't taking it."

Anxiety and OCD are illnesses, we keep being told that they are conditions that are just as debilitating as many physical illnesses, yet somehow treatment for these conditions are allowed to be neglected on the basis of "I don't really like the idea of medication."

I find that completely baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Can I also point out that people "not liking" the idea of medication is simply irrelevent to whether or not the person needs medication. I'm fairly certain that in any other type of illness, if medication was required then barely anyone would say "they might not like medication, so it's understandable why they aren't taking it."

Anxiety and OCD are illnesses, we keep being told that they are conditions that are just as debilitating as many physical illnesses, yet somehow treatment for these conditions are allowed to be neglected on the basis of "I don't really like the idea of medication."

Whilst I agree with you that there should be the same thinking as with physical conditions, we can't deny there stigma exists around these meds.

NICE and the NHS are firm on it being about patient choice and their treatment of anxiety disorders also includes different streams for meds or non meds treatment anyway since therapy can achieve the same as some meds, as proven through medical studies.

I think it's wrong to make such a generalisation anyway, doctors choose non drug options to treat many things.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
    Unfortunately Helens posts are so ridiculous that it is hard to believe she is not on the wind up. I am afraid I agree with Brucealmighty in that she is not 100%. "I just picked up a can of pop and forgot I had already opened it" I mean come on!!! "I walked past someone smoking and I could smell smoke" again come on!!! ETC ETC. Yawn Yawn
    Then you surely think I'm fake and a troll too?

Actually, you're saying quite a few of us on here with OCD are too. I've seen a lot of what she has said by multiple members on here. I think you are turning quite a blind eye to many threads around here including on this very board. Why can't you see that?

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

This thing about her displaying OCD tendencies is all well and good, but where is the treatment? Where is the visits to people who can help? Where is the acknowledgement that she has OCD and must try to act in order to help herself?

She wants to talk about every illness but the one she actually has. She point blank refuses to do anything about this. Surely we can't just keep saying "well it's OCD so just carry on." What is the point of this board and indeed this website if people are allowed to comfortably wallow in this type of misery?
    I can think of other members around here who are stuck in worry and are not moving forward with treatment. The only difference with some is that they post occasionally. Some of them have been posting for years.

All we can do is try to encourage them towards it, surely?

I know from my own experience that I get stuck in big ruts and have had many times where I've just stopped and the day to day OCD cycles have ruled my life for months at a time. But I don't have a reassurance-seeking cycle and so you will never now what's going on in my life unless I choose to talk about it. I still know what I need to do but doing it is the problem so I just hope she has that mindset because my first year post relapse, when the meds caused my OCD, was a nightmare I felt I couldn't escapefrom and my thinking was much different. Personally I don't see a level of severity here like those who've been like that so I'm hoping she can see what she needs to do.

I agree. You don't need yet. But you do need to see a professional because it is just going to get worse. And if that professional thinks you need meds in addition to counselling then you should probably consider it.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

that was supposed to say you don't need meds yet

in response to Axolotl's comment about me , I don't post much about myself I tend to lurk in the background and read similar posts that mention things that I'm worried about, and they have given me great comfort at times when I have needed it. I don't know much if anything about OCD and if my dismissal of Helens posts come across as rudeness then I am sorry but the constant disregard of peoples reply's and the at one stage almost daily postings of what seem like to my uneducated mind ridiculous scenarios meant that I felt compelled to have my two pence worth.

So my psychiatrist (who I don't need to see anymore) once told me that I might need to go on meds. I asked him what the drawback was and he said that it would mask the problem (the health anxiety) and the meds wouldn't "cure" the health anxiety because only I could do that. Whilst the meds would help in the short term it would take longer to overcome the health anxiety. I chose not to take the meds and there are legitimate reasons why people do. There are also legitimate reasons why they choose to take the meds. For me, if you are just relying on the meds to get you through then you are taking them for the wrong reason. However, if you are taking the meds in addition to receiving counselling, and with a plan to cease taking the meds once you recover, then the meds can be useful.

Without wishing to get involved in a 30+ page debate about this poster and the nature of how we treat each other, I strongly feel that any post that directly responds to Helen's "worries" are now redundant and unhelpful. If people are going to post in her threads, all we should do at this point is direct her towards treatment for her condition, regardless of whether she's in Derby or Korea or Raqqa.

This is the only way she might actually improve. Understanding and sympathy are great and if humanity at large had more of it, maybe there'd be fewer anxiety sufferers. But it doesn't help this girl. I'm aware she completely ignores posts pointing her in the direction of therapy, so you could argue they don't help either. But if they were the only responses she got, at least we'd no longer be feeding and indirectly validating her worries.

Her only way out of this is through therapy and her own internal motivation. We should encourage this, and only this.

Ultimately, as long as people aren't being offensive towards others and they are within the forum rules, aren't they free to post what they want?

It is our choice whether we read and respond.

The only reason I post this, is that I have found myself exasperated by some posts on here lately, and it has made me feel the need to take a break.

However, my exasperation is entirely my problem, my fault, and nothing to do with anyone here.

Reminds me of crazymum who was around last time I was a regular here.

yeah yeah I know, we aren't supposed to think like that.

but just saying

Quote Originally Posted by swajj View Post
    Reminds me of crazymum who was around last time I was a regular here.

yeah yeah I know, we aren't supposed to think like that.

but just saying
    What was the deal with crazymum? Sorry, I have a curious nature.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information