Thread: Should I declare my anxiety and depression for Provisional Licence application?

Should I declare my anxiety and depression for Provisional Licence application?

Hey everyone!

First time I've been on here in a while! I've just come back to seek advice for my provisional licence application.

Firstly, I have Asperger Syndrome, OCD, panic disorder and depression. With the help of medication and therapy, I feel I am on a baseline, which is benefitting me (albeit I do have raging OCD and panic attacks on some days). The current situation I'm experiencing is the prerequisite from the DVLA requesting any details of health conditions. The thing is that I don't intend to get a provisional to drive, but to have some form of ID when I go out with friends or to buy a packet of cigarettes from the supermarket. I only possess an expired passport. Some people are fine with it on the caveat that it does indeed look like me, but some people steadfastly refuse it due to it being out of date, which, for me, is quite embarrassing and really limits me from pursuing more things which require ID. I'm getting a provisional to clarify that I am indeed me. However, I want to get the ID as soon as possible. The provisional application requires you to disclose details of health conditions, including anxiety and depression. I know that if you're epileptic or suffer from chronic psychosis, then this will warrant a refusal of a provisional licence. However, with my anxiety and depression, I'm still able to function normally. And to be fair, I don't intend to drive anytime soon, so would it be okay for me not to declare it? It's just that if I do declare my conditions, then the DVLA will require more evidence to clarify my fitness to drive, such as a note from a GP and a form. This will take ages as I find it inordinately difficult to get an appointment with my GP and I really need my ID quite soon.

In short, am I obligated to mention my conditions despite not wanting to drive, or can I not mention it completely in order to get the issue of ID resolved quicker?

Thank you for your time, everyone! Any responses will be appreciated! ☺️

Re: Should I declare my anxiety and depression for Provisional Licence application?

Do you have a formal diagnosis? I have a friend with Aspergers who has a driving license, I would have thought it not to be classified as a debilitating disease, but who am I to know? Why not have a passport too, btw? Anyway, I don't think that not actually wanting to drive is any hindrance to having a driver's license... I have one, I don't enjoy driving. Don't you guys have (voluntary) national ID cards like everyone else in Europe? Could be an alternative.

Re: Should I declare my anxiety and depression for Provisional Licence application?

Quote Originally Posted by randomforeigner View Post
    Do you have a formal diagnosis? I have a friend with Aspergers who has a driving license, I would have thought it not to be classified as a debilitating disease, but who am I to know? Why not have a passport too, btw? Anyway, I don't think that not actually wanting to drive is any hindrance to having a driver's license... I have one, I don't enjoy driving. Don't you guys have (voluntary) national ID cards like everyone else in Europe? Could be an alternative.
    I know, but I'm just unsure as whether we have to declare any formal diagnoses on our application regardless to whether we intend to drive or not. I do have a formal diagnosis of the aforementioned conditions. We do have Citizencards in the UK, but most places don't accept them as they're not driving licenses nor passports, even though they are backed by the government. I work in a bar, and my colleague says the place generally doesn't accept them even though there are posters at work encouraging people to have one, which seems pretty redundant. I was considering getting one but I don't want to spend £30 on one only for it to be deemed useless. I would get another passport but I'm wary of taking it out with me, plus it's so expensive! It's all up in the air at the moment haha.

I too have a passport, rarely used, but if you're pickpocked it's nice to have a fall back ID. Well, research if it matters what type of diagnosis you fill in on the form, it might not matter.

I don't have aspergers, but I do have anxiety and depression. I didn't put anything like that on my application form for my provisional. I never learnt to drive (or even had a single lesson) but my provisional is my only form of ID since my passport expired last year.

Thread Information