Hello everyone. I have seen a lot of threads on here about anti-psychotics but not one in relation to that group of meds and depression.

I was prescribed a very low dose of Seroquel (Quetiapine) for insomnia about six weeks ago. The dose is only 25mg which I believe is the lowest dose of this particular drug.

Anyhow I have never been able to tolerate even the lowest dose of any anti-psychotic but I was so desperate to sleep that I took the Seroquel, which is one of the newer anti-psychotics.

Anyhow it worked a treat for the insomnia, can sleep for hours on end now.

The point of this thread is that I was also really, really depressed when I started on the Seroquel but for the first four weeks of using the drug I was in a positive mood and had a very definite respite from the depression.

I was putting this down to being able to sleep but I am still sleeping pretty well but the depression is back.

Could the Seroquel have relieved depression? I felt that it was the drug that helped me for those weeks and that the depression has come back because the dose is so low. I am wondering if I took a higher dose of the Seroquel would it relieve the depression again? I have never heard of anti-psychotics being used to treat depression but I am wondering if they sometimes can?

Has anyone ever had success with using one of the newer anti-psychotics to relieve depression? I would be glad of any feedback on this.

I know I should talk to my psychiatrist about this but he is not what one would call a 'listener'

Thanks for reading this.

Eibhlin