Thread: High heart rate when getting out of bed

High heart rate when getting out of bed

I've been having a higher heart rate when getting out bed. When lying down in the mornings my heart rate is usually 50-60bpm, but upon rising out of bed it jumps to around 120bpm. I don't have any problems associated with it that I'm aware of. I just notice the pounding. Usually when lying back down or just carrying on with my morning it goes back to normal. Almost immediately when lying back down or soon within a minute or so when I carry with my day. I'm an anxious person and also just recently started Prozac again. Don't know if these could be factors or if this is something normal.

Re: High heart rate when getting out of bed

It's normal for this increase after waking up, just the action of getting up into a standing position from lying down can increase the heart rate as it involves a change in breathing too. You'll find that your blood pressure increases too. I have to monitor my bp but the reading first thing in the morning is always higher than later in the day.

ISB ☺

Re: High heart rate when getting out of bed

I get this as well. Not everyday but if I bound up out of bed I notice my heart rate jumps up to the 110s for probably upto an hour then calms down. Most times it lasts less than an hour though.

I'm on propranolol beta blockers and the normal act of getting out of bed and the heart working to pump the blood round the body and rebound tachycardia from the propranolol, depending on when I take it the day before, seem to cause the high heart rate. As far as the doctor said it's completely normal. Also that's the reason you have to taper off beta blockers to make sure the heart rate stays normal instead of going through the roof when you stop taking them.

Thread Information